Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th November 2019, 23:34   #81
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Careful, Brian; your black and white stripes are showing!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 11:49   #82
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark190 View Post
Yes its funny but fake or not and whether we believe it or not I must admit to feeling a little guilty maybe even self conscious when I go out in my ZT which is a V6 and the twin pipes are visible at the back potentially polluting the atmosphere. Sometimes I half expect to be pelted with something nasty by some fanatical green activist while out driving about! I justify myself by thinking well I aint been banned from the road yet by the Government so I have every right to be here but don't get me wrong I can see their point but I just wonder how long it will be before we are faced with that kind of scenario? Anyone else feel that way?
I never have and never will feel any guilt or remorse about my 'environmental footprint'. I don't care what the climate activists preach any more than I care about what the latest transitory high priest preaches - they are all fanatics and have a personal position to maintain among their contemporaries, in either financial or hierarchical terms. Sanctimonious twaddle.

Have a look at the Amazon basin in S. America and the wanton destruction of natural habitat which removes a whole planetary lung of life supporting elements from the entire planet. See the aerial photos from 50 years ago of that area and compare it to latest one!

Millions of air travellers in massive planes taking millions of happy travellers on hopeless holidays and spewing out kerosene and human waste above the clouds at 35000 ft.

Then the far east in their passage through a new industrial revolution based almost entirely on coal and other fossil fuels. No, let he that casts the first stone....
Old 11th November 2019, 12:12   #83
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Blimey! Just read that BA are conducting a review of their practice of carrying large amounts of extra fuel (unneeded for that journey) to reduce their costs of airport refuelling. They must be watching this forum! They don't seem to realise the irony that to carry the extra fuel thousands of miles they need even more extra fuel!
Old 13th November 2019, 15:53   #84
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Here's a twist reported on the BBC News website. Demand for cobalt for EV batteries is soaring and its is reckoned the only way to meet the demand is by mining rocks from the abyssal plains on the Pacific sea floor. Machines would march their way across the seabed hoovering up small rocks sending them up to a support ship on the surface. The machines would destroy anything in their path, the silt stirred up would be disastrous to filter feeders at the bottom of the food chain and smother other seabed life where it settles after being carried by the current.

Wonder what the greens have to say about that, save the environment you can see by destroying the environment you can't see

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 17:40   #85
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I suspect that the Greens will see this as a potentially serious problem, and will demand that either alternatives are found in battery technology, or alternative methods are found for collecting cobalt. They are more likely to suggest that we all ride bicycles, but then steel and manufacturing use tremendous amounts of energy, so perhaps we will have to adopt an Amish type of existence but then horses NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- a lot and produce methane... Oh God, let it stop!
Old 13th November 2019, 18:35   #86
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Here's a twist reported on the BBC News website. Demand for cobalt for EV batteries is soaring and its is reckoned the only way to meet the demand is by mining rocks from the abyssal plains on the Pacific sea floor. Machines would march their way across the seabed hoovering up small rocks sending them up to a support ship on the surface. The machines would destroy anything in their path, the silt stirred up would be disastrous to filter feeders at the bottom of the food chain and smother other seabed life where it settles after being carried by the current.

Wonder what the greens have to say about that, save the environment you can see by destroying the environment you can't see

Tesla's battery guru Jeff Dahn has developed a cobalt free battery chemistry that will see the battery pack last for a million miles

https://electrek.co/2019/09/07/tesla...s-robot-taxis/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 22:17   #87
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Tesla's battery guru Jeff Dahn has developed a cobalt free battery chemistry that will see the battery pack last for a million miles

https://electrek.co/2019/09/07/tesla...s-robot-taxis/

Awesome
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 22:20   #88
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

When were sleeping policemen, bus lanes and street furniture anything to do with Green politics? Seems like people on here wish to blame the green lobby for all the problems of the world. Strange, when they have always been a minority pressure group, with very little representation in our parliament, admittedly more prominent in some European countries. I find much of the commentary on here boorish, lacking in real thought, just attacking sincerely held, and well-researched and considered beliefs - to call it a "populist bandwagon", Brian, is unworthy of you, and the sort of tabloid sound-bite labelling reminiscent of Orwell's "Two legs good, four legs bad",as well as Trump's chanting mobs. We all have a vested interest in saving our planet - to pay no heed to how badly we are polluting it is reckless. Or perhaps you are all old enough to think you don't need to give a damn, you won't be around in 30 years. Look around you, it's happening now! And I am not making a penny out of this. As said before, in the not too distant future, I will be making the sad decision to give up the CDT, which despite it's oh-so bad (because it's that naughty-word "European" so better add that word to the banned list, Eds)engine, in favour of a hybrid. I love driving the Rover, I love the way it looks, but I recognise that all of us will have to make sacrifices if we are not going to spend our lives baling out our homes, - Carlisle, York, Whaley Bridge, Sheffield, Doncaster,, and now Venice again, to name but a few. And then we have heatwaves causing huge forest and moorland or scrub fires. We will soon be using all our energy to rebuild our world to cope with its increasingly violent weather incidents. Yes, this is a car forum, and I didn't start this topic, but somone needs to put some balance in among all the paranoid conspiracy-theory tub-thumping. I could go on, but I'm hoping I have said enough.
Old 13th November 2019, 22:49   #89
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
When were sleeping policemen, bus lanes and street furniture anything to do with Green politics? Seems like people on here wish to blame the green lobby for all the problems of the world. Strange, when they have always been a minority pressure group, with very little representation in our parliament, admittedly more prominent in some European countries. I find much of the commentary on here boorish, lacking in real thought, just attacking sincerely held, and well-researched and considered beliefs - to call it a "populist bandwagon", Brian, is unworthy of you, and the sort of tabloid sound-bite labelling reminiscent of Orwell's "Two legs good, four legs bad",as well as Trump's chanting mobs. We all have a vested interest in saving our planet - to pay no heed to how badly we are polluting it is reckless. Or perhaps you are all old enough to think you don't need to give a damn, you won't be around in 30 years. Look around you, it's happening now! And I am not making a penny out of this. As said before, in the not too distant future, I will be making the sad decision to give up the CDT, which despite it's oh-so bad (because it's that naughty-word "European" so better add that word to the banned list, Eds)engine, in favour of a hybrid. I love driving the Rover, I love the way it looks, but I recognise that all of us will have to make sacrifices if we are not going to spend our lives baling out our homes, - Carlisle, York, Whaley Bridge, Sheffield, Doncaster,, and now Venice again, to name but a few. And then we have heatwaves causing huge forest and moorland or scrub fires. We will soon be using all our energy to rebuild our world to cope with its increasingly violent weather incidents. Yes, this is a car forum, and I didn't start this topic, but somone needs to put some balance in among all the paranoid conspiracy-theory tub-thumping. I could go on, but I'm hoping I have said enough.
Andrew, Newcastle City Council is hell bent on " green traffic improvement" schemes, reams of badly thought out remodelling of junctions, and unnecessary narrowing of carriageways, and excessive street furniture and signage, cycle lanes which happen to be ignored by most cyclists.

I have observed this "progress" first hand, watched how traffic is affected by the congestion caused by traffic light on roundabouts, bus lanes effective from 7.00 to 19.00 where in off peak periods, you find three double decker busses coming along every ten minute with a handful of passengers being carried.

Speed cushions, that wreck suspension components, cause particulate commission in the form of friction material dust, and rubber dust from tyre, irrespective of the propulsion format of the vehicle.

Make no bones, Newcastle City Council have made it abundantly clear that their desire is to make it as difficult as possible for the private motorist to navigate not only the city centre, but the surrounding suburbs with their crackpot populist schemes.

I hope to be around in 30 years, but I would like to think my children will be also, and I'm not as selfish as you seem to be implying.

I'm an engineer, I also have an analytical mind, and I have eyes and ears, and can actually see first hand what is being carried out to the detriment of my local environment, by people with vested interests........vested interests I hear you say? surely not? T.Dan Smith....remember him

Brian
Old 13th November 2019, 23:44   #90
marinabrian

MG ZT

I am not going to comment about the seven hundred new houses being built on greenbelt land less than 1/4 of a mile from my front door.

These are being built on drained marshland, the main drains are are you ready for this 9" pipe with a storage pond SUD "sustainable urban drainage"

So based upon the fact the fields these new houses are being built upon were constantly under a foot of water, I wonder what the water runoff from having several acres of hard landscaping instead of fields going to have?

No effect at all, and the resultant flooding can be blamed on climate change.

What utter twaddle, if you are going to have any hope of "saving the planet" you need to scrap all cars, close all power stations, kill all cattle, and lob a few neutron bombs into strategic locations.

There are too many people trying to live in too small an area, consuming with gay abandon what is left of the worlds natural resources......I wonder if the farmers in the surrounds of Fishlake who have suggested the neglect of dredging the rivers have caused, could posibly know anything better than the environment agency "expert" who claimed this wouldn't help (translation, this would cost money, and of course it's up north, and we have cross rail and HS2 to consider)

Perhaps EV are the answer then, the dredging of the sea bed to extract cobalt should help matters immensely

Oh how my childhood has been robbed from me by those evil people driving around in their pollution causing Austin A35 and Austin Westminsters, with their coal fired houses, damn them all to hell.

** Do you know what I think, if life is going to be so dull, what is the point? can we not just blow up the Sun instead

Christ on a bike, I hate the planet, in fact I hate life itself, but at least I don't expect every other person to share my "we're doomed" attitude to life **

Brian

** tongue in cheek, with a smattering of sarcasm to boot