Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2009, 23:50   #1
W953 BJX
Loves to post

1953 and 1955 series 1 landrovers, two series 3 landrovers, range rover, rover 75 saloon

Default A bit of advic needed...

right I'm not going to pretend to know anything at all about computers, I don't understand them at all!
I have a desktop computer upstairs, which is ok, we have a mutual agreement and it tends to do what I ask it to!
My problem is I am awaiting a new knee and stairs are like everest to me at the minute, so ive been using my iPod touch for all my email and am using it right now to do this! Problem is its clearly not meant to be used this much! It is clogging up and the touch screen is horrid to type on.... So... I was being dragged around the shops by her indoors the other day and noticed a little laptop type thing in some shop called a web book or something similar, it seems to be like a baby laptop, only like an 8" screen, and obviously less memory etc I'd assume, but better than this iPod? The other nice thing was it was less than £200 which I could maybe spend and justify if it is any good!
What are your thoughts? I'm not bothered about word processing, I want something purely for Internet and email
W953 BJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 00:42   #2
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

It sounds like a 'netbook'. IMO an 8" screen is far too small to use for any length of time and it would probably drive you nuts after a while.

For a bit more money you could buy a decent laptop. Here are a few -

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Laptops/Laptops/

And here's a notebook for £218 http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Lapto...roductId=35289

Last edited by Simon W; 20th March 2009 at 00:46..
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 12:59   #3
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

If you are happy with a 8" screen then I say why not.

You can get some excellent deals for small laptops nowadays.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 13:28   #4
W953 BJX
Loves to post

1953 and 1955 series 1 landrovers, two series 3 landrovers, range rover, rover 75 saloon

I'm kindof tempted, if its got a smaller screen then itll stop me spending too long on it won't it, just want something easy to use and simple, I literally want to use wifi, send emails, maybe upload photo would be a bonus but thats all I want, plus if I get a smaller one its easier to take places and easier to conceal it in the car
Old 20th March 2009, 13:37   #5
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Some of the smaller ones will even run OS X. They are then called Hackintoshes :lol:

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 23:10   #6
W953 BJX
Loves to post

What is an os x? Is that a good thing?
Old 20th March 2009, 23:53   #7
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

It's the operating system for Apple computers (Mac desktops & laptops etc) - i.e. they don't run on a Windows operating system (Microsoft).

The latest version of the Mac 'OS X' operating system is called Leopard (no idea why**).

Some would say the Mac system is better than Windows, but then some wouldn't.

Here is some info - http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/

** I always thought a Leopard was either a big snarly thing with spots on - or a German main battle tank

Talking of battle tanks, the Germans always liked to name their tanks after big cats - as in the 'Panther', 'Tiger' and 'King Tiger' from WWII. They slipped up though when they dreamt up the 'Maus' - the biggest tank ever built. It was such a monster (nearly 200 tons) it was virtually impossible to take it anywhere, so overall it was a pretty silly idea.

Not quite as silly though as the British-built 'Matilda' which looked like it was made of cardboard (and probably was). Let's face it, any tank called the 'Matilda' is not going to scary anybody - unless of course they're 18-months old and driving a pram.

:lol:

Last edited by Simon W; 21st March 2009 at 00:24..
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 08:49   #8
NikTheGeek
Gets stuck in

2002 Range Rover P38

I've had loads of netbooks and purchased 125 of them for work. They are great. If you get a linux-based one they are cheap, easy to use and virtually unbreakable. If you get a windows one, then expect the same as a "normal" pc but maybe a tad slower and on a smaller screen.

Once you have got your head around it, an interface like the Asus eeepc is excellent, especially for people who don't know pc's that much. And you won't have to worry about breaking it by getting a virus or accidently visiting a dodgy website that installs stuff on your machine. You won't get that nasty AV360 fake antivirus program for starters!!

Nik
NikTheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 09:27   #9
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Just make sure you get one with a decent amount of memory, and preferably with a proper Hard drive.

But it all adds to the costs,
as an example ..there are refurbished Elonex items from maplins with 10 inch screen & normal HD , for about 179

The tiny ones ( asus EE, whch we had) & being an early one , only had a couple of MB of ram and a solid state Hard drive, which eventually was just too small.

So get the biggest inside , smallest outside you can within you budget !!..

If not sure just ask...

take care..

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:32   #10
NikTheGeek
Gets stuck in

2002 Range Rover P38

I disagree on the hard disk - depending what you want to do with it obviously. Solid state disks are MUCH quicker to read and write to than hard disks. The read speed is particularly impressive. So for a netbook doing a netbooks tasks of playing on the internet, a solid state disk is much better. The Asus 901 comes with a 20GB solid state disk. Plus if you drop it, it won't die on you!

But that said, space is limited and hard disks are still cheaper....
NikTheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote