Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th July 2009, 09:58   #11
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

If you wish to live and thrive let a spider run alive. Let it go why kill for the sake of killing? A pointless and cruel act.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 10:08   #12
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob75 View Post
I won't dare go near him but my dad went for a closer look today and the ****** run at him and started to lift his front legs up!
Blimey, must be one helluva spider if it even tried to lift your dad's legs up!

How many legs has your dad got btw, if the spider went for his front pair?

Old 18th July 2009, 13:32   #13
75ContempSE
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE Auto

Dont kill it i'm sure if you can get it to come out of that corner and get it on the floor you could put a something ontop of it and let it out, if it is running loads get something that you can use to spray water on it, spiders hate water and it may help it stay still.

or if all else fails kill it, (oh god my grandad would kill me if he knew i'd said that)

Andrew
Old 18th July 2009, 18:30   #14
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I hate spiders, I'm terrified of them, especially the ones with thick hairy legs. I will never kill one though, I catch them with a transparent sandwich box and slide a sheet of card under it and let them go outside. I do this for flies too.
Old 18th July 2009, 20:01   #15
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

An acquaintance of mine would run screaming from the room if a spider appeared. Quite amusing to see a 50 year old man absolutely terrified hiding at the top of the stairs. His wife and child followed him at similar speed but without the screaming.
I'm quite sure it was no joke for them, especially if there was no one else to deal with it.
They didn't want it harmed just removed, from the house and preferably from the street.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 00:20   #16
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

I remember, a long , long time ago... My sister was about 8 years old and had just gone to bed. When there came from her room the most horrendous, blood-curdling scream.....

We all came out to the base of the stairs, and my sister, upon seeing my father, launched herself from the landing into his arms, on the way down she screamed "Spider!!". She'd seen one in her room.... took us about 15 minutes to spot it (as she would not get back in her bedroom until the spider had been removed!).

It was, what I think is called a "Money Spider" about 3mm across!!!

Not exactly a fearsome beast

Personally I like spiders, they kill flies - I hate those!!

However, a word of note.... House spiders are what they are, and will come back into the house as soon as you release them back into the wild

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 00:28   #17
75ContempSE
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by However, a word of note.... [I
House spiders[/I] are what they are, and will come back into the house as soon as you release them back into the wild
True but if you release it onto the drive of your house and stamp on it by mistake on your way back in, then its not your fault it was just the spiders time to go and then he wont come back in.....................
Old 19th July 2009, 00:37   #18
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ContempSE View Post
True but if you release it onto the drive of your house and stamp on it by mistake on your way back in, then its not your fault it was just the spiders time to go and then he wont come back in.....................
You cruel man!! Just be kind and release them into the roof-space. There they will find a home without bothering your nice neat home

PS.. How can you STAMP on it by mistake?

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 06:58   #19
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

I have a deep and terrifying phobia relating to spiders due to an incident during my childhood, and I seriously turn cold and run screaming to the hills at the sight of one as large as that......

My wife has to deal with them as I cower upstairs until the coast is clear. It always makes other people laugh, but then you find that they have phobias of flying, walking under ladders or tube trains and somehow the balance is restored.

Even I would never deliberately kill one though, unless it was blocking my exit and waving a baseball bat at me.....:lol:
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 07:01   #20
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

We have hazard briefings at work, and here's the one on FWS's

SPIDER BITES (False Widow Spider)
Spider bites are becoming an increasing hazard to personnel working on the network.
THE HAZARD
Originally a native of southern Europe as far east as Georgia, the False Widow Spider is now established in the southern and eastern coastal region of England and is spreading north.
The False Widow Spider ranges in size from 15 mm (female) to 10 mm (male) with a rotund body, is brown in colour with pale markings.
NB only the female (shown in photo) bites!
The spiders are most commonly found on webs, walls, fences, and the bark of trees particularly during June to November for adults.
Symptoms of a bite
• The bite itself is not usually felt but, within a short space of time, a local burning sensation is followed by radiating pain
• Pain is far more severe than a bee or wasp sting.
• Swelling and a developing red weal circa 5-6 cm in diameter.
• Two small puncture wounds in the region of the swelling, surrounded by local skin inflammation with small bluish tinge a few hours later.
• Occasionally flu-like symptoms, aches, sweats, fatigue, perspiring which can last upto 72 hours according to reports.
Remember! All PPE should be maintained in good condition and must be checked before each use.
If your PPE is damaged, report it to your line manager and get it replaced.
Control Measures / Actions
• Wherever possible, try to avoid areas where these spiders are known to be abundant or are likely.
• Ensure you check PPE and other clothing before wearing if it has not been worn for some time or was last used or stored outside.
• Be alert to where you are walking, placing your hands etc.
• Ensure you wear appropriate protective equipment (eg gloves) as identified in the Risk Assessment for the task being undertaken.
• If you do suffer an accidental bite and feel unwell, seek medical attention immediately.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote