Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th February 2023, 11:48   #11
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Check behind the ashtray unit/aircon panel, that is where the BMW connector which connects the audio loom to the main car loom, is often found.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2023, 13:22   #12
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
Check behind the ashtray unit/aircon panel, that is where the BMW connector which connects the audio loom to the main car loom, is often found.
I already had, and the loom just runs round past where the connection is supposed to be, all thats there is ,i just plain loom. someone has done a lot of
re taping though, its possible they removed the connector, and have joined wire to wire, the only BMW Connector i can find is in the boot rather than risk pulling it apart, i have just fitted the connector at that point,
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2023, 13:38   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post
... the factory amp is still all connected up ...
Hi Martin,

When you say "factory amp" I'm taking it that you're referring to the HK power amplifier mounted in the boot on the LH inner wing.

You need to separate the 18 pin white connector C0492 at the HK power amplifier, identify the speaker wiring which I listed above, and connect it to the output of your aftermarket unit.

I take it that you've wired the aerial to your new aftermarket unit and any CD changer if you wish to use it.

Simon
Old 20th February 2023, 07:49   #14
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Yes, I've ran an aerial extension lead to the socket in the boot, What is puzzling me is i had another after market stereo, in the car when I first got it, and that worked fine with exactly the same set up , ISO adaptor into the BMW socket in the boot, and leads to the head unit, the only thing i have done different is to run the power leads direct from the fuse box
Old 20th February 2023, 08:45   #15
SD1too

Quote:
... the only thing i have done different is to run the power leads direct from the fuse box
If your aftermarket unit's display illuminates when switched on then the lack of audio output has nothing to do with its power supply.

The information you've given points to the wiring from your new receiver to the speakers. I suggest that you go back to basics. Write down the speaker outputs on your receiver. Does it have 4 outputs (front & rear, LH & RH)?

Opposite those connections, write down the corresponding speaker wire colours from the list I've given you. Now painstakingly trace each one across the adaptor you've fitted until you find the problem.

Simon
Old 20th February 2023, 09:12   #16
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
If your aftermarket unit's display illuminates when switched on then the lack of audio output has nothing to do with its power supply.

The information you've given points to the wiring from your new receiver to the speakers. I suggest that you go back to basics. Write down the speaker outputs on your receiver. Does it have 4 outputs (front & rear, LH & RH)?

Opposite those connections, write down the corresponding speaker wire colours from the list I've given you. Now painstakingly trace each one across the adaptor you've fitted until you find the problem.

Simon
4 circuits 2 each side, I'm seriously thinking of doing away with the multi plug, pulling the speaker wires back, and separating them, into left and right, running the leads to each door speaker doubling up for the smaller speakers, and testing each as i go along, i should have enough to reach each speaker, and the boot speakers at least that way, i will know exactly where the problem is.

Last edited by Martin Butler; 20th February 2023 at 09:15.. Reason: add more content
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:42   #17
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Just had a quick thought, is there room to insert the speaker wiring past the plug where the door harnesses join the main loom, then through the flexible cover, I'm going to simplify the whole system by running the ISO coloured cables from the new unit direct to the speakers fitting new connectors so the circuit is renewed from head unit to speakers,
Old 25th February 2023, 10:33   #18
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

The saga still continues i before taking everything apart took off the rear parcel shelf and with some fly leads tested that to see if anything worked, and nothing, looks like theres no power to the speakers, so next step is going to be to test the speaker wire for continuity, i've got a multi meter, but sods law being what it is, can't find the leads, so new ones on order, the radio is earthed, and the display works fine, i'm wondering if the head unit might be faulty and the only way to find out will be to run some tests or of course , it might be that the parcel shelf speakers are dead. but either way, i will get to the bottom of it.
Old 25th February 2023, 12:04   #19
SD1too

Quote:
... it might be that the parcel shelf speakers are dead ...
Hi Martin,

The parcel shelf speakers are the two woofers. The HK power amplifier feeds these separately from the door speakers and consequently I would expect the cable run to be very short and in the boot only.

You said that your aftermarket unit has 2 outputs per channel. They will supply the front and rear door speakers. How do you propose to drive the woofers?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 25th February 2023 at 12:08..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 13:16   #20
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Frankly, i don't have a clue i was hoping to extend the rear speaker wires and use those, but the way things are going, ive just given up, all i know is the previous after market unit i fitted i used an BMW to ISO adaptor, and everything worked fine Ive not taken anything apart so far today, because its too flipping cold , and i'm fed up with it now , i can't even undo the wiring for the amplifier because i can't get the thing to unbolt from the mountings i was just testing the new wires from the head unit, using those speakers, to see if it was the head unit, or the speakers because at least i can get to them without taking the doors to bits, and wired in to the new wires from the head unit, and there was still no sound, So either, theres no power to the speakers, from the multi plug , or the speakers themselves are dead, I was hoping that when i connected the speaker wires, they might work, and that way, i know where to look next,

Last edited by Martin Butler; 25th February 2023 at 13:23..