Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th January 2021, 15:17   #11
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Just wanted to keep the thread updated, although I have nothing solid to go on yet... still. Just keep pouring coolant in every few days.

It is quite frustrating. I've been around the whole engine bay from the top with a torch and can't see a trace of coolant anywhere.

I have no undertray fitted and I never see any drips on the driveway.

Don't believe there's a leak into the cabin via heater matrix as the windows don't get condensation or anything.
I also feel like the loss of this much coolant would be noticeable inside.

I am leaning towards the inlet manifold gasket as she feels a bit rough sometimes on start up. I'm not sure if its misfiring or not but certainly isn't a clean start up.

I have a new Viton gasket ready to fit, just waiting for some slightly warmer and dry weather.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 17:50   #12
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

How’s the oil level?

Not saying it is, but once the elastomer adhesive bond parts company with the steel head gasket the coolant slowly but surely leaks into the sump oil level to rise, but the dipstick still shows nice engine oil at the early stages. Eventually as the volume of coolant increases it reaches the oil pump inlet and then gets sucked up into the lubrication system and causes the mayo to permeate through the engine, even the inlet manifold gets it and the map sensors etc start throwing a wobbler over compensating the MEMS ecm. After a rebuild the cleaned out manifold and the sensors can make the engine run rough initially until the normal running conditions are reached. Always best to reset the ecm adaption values after this kind of job.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2021, 10:32   #13
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

The oil level seems spot on. Pretty much exactly where it was when I last did an oil change about 5 months ago.

Do hope it's not what you've described!

Just waiting on some tidy weather so I can at least rule out the IMG as the source of the issues.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2021, 12:10   #14
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
The oil level seems spot on. Pretty much exactly where it was when I last did an oil change about 5 months ago.

Do hope it's not what you've described!

Just waiting on some tidy weather so I can at least rule out the IMG as the source of the issues.
Don’t just change the IMG. Inspect the face of the of the plastic manifold with a straight edge, and note if the bronze coloured steel bushes have pulled out from the plastic body. If they stick out too much there will be less compression on the gasket no matter how tight you make the nuts.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2021, 16:03   #15
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

I have had success in the past on different cars using a T piece in a smaller hose and then a bicycle pump to pressurise the system, you don't need to go that high.
I will be rigging it up on Dad's car.