Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th January 2021, 07:55   #21
steady eddie
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer / bmw e90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by itcaptainslow View Post
The most common cause of a collision in the UK is “Failure to look properly”, followed by “Failure to judge third party speed/path”. (Source; https://www.statista.com/statistics/...at-britain-uk/ )

Neither of those are due to excessive speed, and everything to do with poor driving ability/attitude. Unfortunately these take time, and are more difficult to address, than using a blunt instrument of speed camera.

If the driving test in the UK was to IAM/ROSPA standards and based around Roadcraft principles, I’d wager we’d have far fewer collisions and lower KSI stats as a direct result.
I Fully agree with your comments I was going to post something similar. I travel around the south of England for work in a car/van and mobile cranes some people do not have a clue about spacial awareness and perception of speed and distance.

Last edited by steady eddie; 26th January 2021 at 07:58..
steady eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 09:20   #22
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I happen to disagree with the first line of your statement, speed is not in itself inherently dangerous, but the inappropriate use of speed.

And as the proclamation of drink driving and jumping red lights, what does that have to do with speed limiting on cars?.....

The flaw in the system is just like many other nanny rubbish found in modern cars, although the system is active at the start of each journey, it can be turned off.

Brian

Absolutely agree.

I've posted before that it isn't speed in itself but, as Brian says, inappropriate speed.

If it was simply speed then Lewis Hamilton, Marc Marques etc. etc. would all be err.... dead.

I'll happily take you along some local roads with a national speed limit where anything above about 20mph will see you on a recovery truck with a very bent car. And that's if you don't meet something coming the other way - like a one of those massive tractors which you can't see 'cus the hedges are about 20' high.

I'll wait for the "....the gadget says it's 60 so I was doing 60 when I crashed..."

IMHO Space is the key. Less space equals less speed.

Which is more likely to be involved in a collision?

69mph on the motorway, texting or drunk or high on drugs or sitting a car's length from the vehicle in front (none of which will be photo'd by the cameras) OR
71mph on an empty, clear, dry motorway?

And as for the limiters you can bet that the first thing the insurance industry will do is check to see if it was on, or off or being ignored. What do you think their policy will be if it was off? I'll hazard a guess that at that point you'll not be insured.

Take care.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 26th January 2021 at 14:23..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 13:28   #23
R75800sd1
Avid contributor

Rover 75s; 1 Diesel Tourer, 1 diesel saloon,

It`s a fallacy
Speed doesn`t kill.
It`s normally the sudden stop that does it!
R75800sd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 21:15   #24
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Talking Insurance.I had a quote, unsolicited from one of the well known companies for my diesel that has been sorned since the middle of last year. Usually renew in February but using the KV 6 at the moment. They quoted £660?....... Expletive required here.. Last year I paid £320. What are they trying to do? Give me heart attack.
Old 28th January 2021, 20:44   #25
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I happen to disagree with the first line of your statement, speed is not in itself inherently dangerous, but the inappropriate use of speed.

And as the proclamation of drink driving and jumping red lights, what does that have to do with speed limiting on cars?

Finally, why not simply teach someone to drive safely?, speed is only a factor if the driver is unaware of the consequence of it's misuse.

I was taught to drive in a fashion that was mechanically sympathetic, and to be courteous and considerate to other road users.

The flaw in the system is just like many other nanny rubbish found in modern cars, although the system is active at the start of each journey, it can be turned off.

Brian
Totally agree Brian. There used to be an old saying " Its not the speed that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end".
Some people have no idea how to drive safely.
Not meaning to offend anyone but my bike ( ZX12R) will blow any rover 75 or ZT ever built off the road. Top end? About 202 MPH.
Acceleration? Oh my Lord !!! Don't just open it up from standstill! I think there is a video on Youtube with one doing 0 to 320KPH and back to stop in about 32 seconds !!!
It will kill you. Just for reference, this stock street bike is actually faster than Barry Sheenes Grand Prix bike !
Old 29th January 2021, 10:36   #26
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS Disco View Post
Totally agree Brian. There used to be an old saying " Its not the speed that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end".
Some people have no idea how to drive safely.
Not meaning to offend anyone but my bike ( ZX12R) will blow any rover 75 or ZT ever built off the road. Top end? About 202 MPH.
Acceleration? Oh my Lord !!! Don't just open it up from standstill! I think there is a video on Youtube with one doing 0 to 320KPH and back to stop in about 32 seconds !!!
It will kill you. Just for reference, this stock street bike is actually faster than Barry Sheenes Grand Prix bike !

Ah, so it's you I see enjoying the Ashby road up from me .

Those of us that ride/rode bikes (generally) know about safety - 'cus if it goes wrong it hurts. But the dynamics are completely beyond the knowledge/understanding etc. of most road users.

But, like everything, there are the completely selfish folks who seem to think that public roads are their own private racing circuit and put other people in danger. If you want to play hard then get a race licence.

An very experienced wise old owl gave me a saying: Make your journey (NOT yourself) invisible to other road users. So you just make progress, causing no one else to even notice that you're there. No other road user should need to change their speed or position at all because of your awareness and skill.

Take care, it's dangerous out there

Last edited by AndyN01; 29th January 2021 at 10:47..
Old 30th January 2021, 15:19   #27
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
It winds me up the way speed always gets the blame
Its a well known fact that most accidents happen under 30 mph. And my betting is that most accidents that happen at speed, are because of someone else who has not noticed the speed the other car is travelling at. A bit like the B*W that came over the traffic lights two days ago on red when my lights were on green and I was pulling away. Sounded my horn and got the two finger signature of an idiot. And if speed kills, I was driving down the stadium straight at Donnington Raceway in an Aston Martin Vantage at 150 mph, when another car came onto the track from the access road from in front of the stadium to the track, the instructor sat beside me said watch the car, and then he said you have already seen him. When we had finished, I asked him how he knew I had seen him, and he said that he watch’s :- head, feet and hands as we go round the track. He told me he had had to take control of the steering wheel and brakes many times because people don’t realise how quick they are going for a given piece of the track. This is the same chap that when I was catching a Ferrari up, told me to ‘go on you can get past ‘the slab’. Only had him up against the passenger door once round a corner and he was smiling. And yes, I really did enjoy that total experience. Highly recommend you try it at least once in your life. Don’t bother with Rockingham , they won’t let you get out of third gear there, not in the Vantage anyway. Have a look at the Racing School on the net..

Last edited by bl52krz; 30th January 2021 at 21:01..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2021, 10:27   #28
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Its a well known fact that most accidents happen under 30 mph. And my betting is that most accidents that happen at speed, are because of someone else who has not noticed the speed the other car is travelling at. A bit like the B*W that came over the traffic lights two days ago on red when my lights were on green and I was pulling away. Sounded my horn and got the two finger signature of an idiot. And if speed kills, I was driving down the stadium straight at Donnington Raceway in an Aston Martin Vantage at 150 mph, when another car came onto the track from the access road from in front of the stadium to the track, the instructor sat beside me said watch the car, and then he said you have already seen him. When we had finished, I asked him how he knew I had seen him, and he said that he watch’s :- head, feet and hands as we go round the track. He told me he had had to take control of the steering wheel and brakes many times because people don’t realise how quick they are going for a given piece of the track. This is the same chap that when I was catching a Ferrari up, told me to ‘go on you can get past ‘the slab’. Only had him up against the passenger door once round a corner and he was smiling. And yes, I really did enjoy that total experience. Highly recommend you try it at least once in your life. Don’t bother with Rockingham , they won’t let you get out of third gear there, not in the Vantage anyway. Have a look at the Racing School on the net..

What a great experience .

Am I jealous? Er, YES .

And that shows that speed itself doesn't kill and awareness of what's going on around you and having space to use (or give it to one of those Italian prancing horses ) makes for safe progress.

Take care out there.