Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2012, 08:46   #21
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

On the petrol note as part of a 5 day health & safety course we had 1/2 day with Essex fire services. You should have seen some of the faces when he took a tray about 1 1/2" full of petrol and asked someone to throw a lit match in it.

No it doesn't ignite, The dampness of the fuel puts the match out before the heat has time to ignite it. this is why "empty" petrol tankers are more dangerous than loaded ones. It's the vapours that ignite initially..and they are far, far easier to ignite.

But you all being 'old & wise 75 owners' would have known that

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 08:54   #22
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

This is a truly tragic example that just shows the British public is very unaware of the Dangers of Fuel. How many people here saw the Video clip of the Guy fuelling his Ferrari and it goes up in flames from a simple static spark? Yet I have seen many years ago, people on the forecourts fuelling up and smoking at the same time

Any Burn can be serious, A 40% Burn is very serious and as silly as what this Woman did, lets bear in mind she could very easily have died from this, She still could

All because the Gov't and Media blew this threat of a Strike out of Proportion
Old 1st April 2012, 09:46   #23
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
Some years ago, Mrs Incensed and I stopped throwing flour and icing sugar at each other because of the risk of explosion.

Seriously, I hope she makes a good recovery. This new method of "spraying on" new skin gives some hope in such cases. Most of us do crazy things sometimes, even if we know better.
Many powders are quite explosively combustable. Even steel can be easy to ignite - try putting a battery's terminals across some wire wool.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 10:03   #24
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevanman View Post
On the petrol note as part of a 5 day health & safety course we had 1/2 day with Essex fire services. You should have seen some of the faces when he took a tray about 1 1/2" full of petrol and asked someone to throw a lit match in it.

No it doesn't ignite, The dampness of the fuel puts the match out before the heat has time to ignite it. this is why "empty" petrol tankers are more dangerous than loaded ones. It's the vapours that ignite initially..and they are far, far easier to ignite.

But you all being 'old & wise 75 owners' would have known that
To ignite anything, you need a fairly accurately proportioned mix of the 'anything' and air, plus an hot enough ignition source. Too much of one or the other and there is no ignition. A room full of gas will not ignite, without the correct amount of air to support the flame. Which neatly explain why a flooded petrol engine will not fire, until the excess fuel is blow out of the cylinders.

No one has ever been able to prove that the use of a mobile phone nor static discharge on the forecourt has been able to ignite fuel vapour. Were there any real risk of static ignition or ignition from radio transmitters (phones), then there would be an insistance on connecting your vehicle body to the earth of the pump with an earth strap, before starting to refuel.

I done the trick with the burning cigarette in the petrol many times

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 10:03   #25
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Many powders are quite explosively combustable. Even steel can be easy to ignite - try putting a battery's terminals across some wire wool.
With adult supervision of course!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote