Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th March 2012, 19:29   #1
CMB
Regular poster

Mitsubishi Mirage 3

Default Petrol Price. Extreme Action Now Required

Hi to all members of the 75 club.
Extreme measures are now required by all users of motor vehicles to drive the message home to the government that enough is enough.
Petitions appear to have no effect whatsoever, so we must use a different tactic, and this suggestion is really extreme but given the correct support throughout the country would work.
It is to simply not buy fuel, for private use from a given date.
This would starve the government of much needed revenue, and create a black hole in their budget funding. Admittedly this would cause some personal hardship but I believe the end result would be worth the sacrifice. Should this measure fall on deaf ears the buying ban should be ratcheted up to include all commercial users which would very quickly disrupt supply chains and public transport.
This would be equivalent to a national strike but not caused by any disgruntled union action but by the people of this country.
This type of response has worked in America in the past and I believe would work here if tried.
Just take a look at the new proposed stealth taxes in the last budget, Toll road charges, removing the benefits of driving a green/electric car, remember past government assurances that switching to diesel would save money and ensure lower fuel prices in the future. Tell that to the owners of diesel powered vehicles now.
Something has to be done by the motorist for the motorist otherwise we will be taxed of the road.
CMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 19:42   #2
freewheeler
Avid contributor

Rover 75 cdt connoisseur se saloon

I agree that something has to be done but I don't think the powers that be give a second thought to us mere mortals....it won't effect them so why should they worry.....What happened to that fuel equaliser policy(or something like that), whereby when the oil companies increased their prices the duty was reduced so the fuel price remained the same.......another empty promise.

Last edited by freewheeler; 26th March 2012 at 19:43.. Reason: spelling
freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 19:47   #3
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Hmmmmmmm no!

I think the fact that our very small village school becomes gridlocked every morning with 4x4's driven by idiots who think that half a mile merits getting the car out rather then walking would seem to show that if anything petrol prices need to be higher. I say price them off the road, I'll happily pay a premium for clearer roads!
Old 26th March 2012, 19:48   #4
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Hi, I thought of this idea when it was going to go over a £1.00/L But I really think it's a non-starter, purely because poeple just won't do it, too much hassle, they would rather pay whatever the price goes to.

I agree wholeheartedly that this would work! But it would take a lot of dedication on the part of motorists, which sadly, they do not.

I would gladly take part...... But in truth I believe the general populace are too full of apathy, and to be honest, have had it too good for too long, and they are scared, yes scared to rock the boat. I doubt if you could get most of them to even just turn off their mobile phones for a day, let alone do without the car!!!

But in principle, an excellent idea....
Old 26th March 2012, 19:51   #5
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts
Default Fuel Prices

I agree totally with what has been written, but as mentioned, I dont think that they worry about it, would be nice to do this, but it needs the vast majority of the population to do this, and there are a lot of them who would not do it, so therefore would be a none starter. It needs to start with the haulage companies, farmers, and those who have a large following, to start the ball rolling, otherwise it will fall on deaf ears.

Stu
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 20:12   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The Farmers wont worry mate, most of them vote Tory and are running around on red diesel anyway.
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 20:19   #7
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts
Default Petrol Prices

Trikey

Suspect your are right, but needs a company or group with a bit of clout, to start the ball rolling, I don't think that this or any other government would listen to our club members views.

Stu
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 20:37   #8
Moonshine Mark
I really should get out more.......

2005 Monogram Atmosphere ZT CDTI Auto + 2010 BMW 123d Convertible + 2005 MG TF 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
Hi, I thought of this idea when it was going to go over a £1.00/L But I really think it's a non-starter, purely because poeple just won't do it, too much hassle, they would rather pay whatever the price goes to.

I agree wholeheartedly that this would work! But it would take a lot of dedication on the part of motorists, which sadly, they do not.

I would gladly take part...... But in truth I believe the general populace are too full of apathy, and to be honest, have had it too good for too long, and they are scared, yes scared to rock the boat. I doubt if you could get most of them to even just turn off their mobile phones for a day, let alone do without the car!!!

But in principle, an excellent idea....
I agree entirely with you Bill, whilst I myself would be happy to take part in something like this, I think you will struggle to get a majority of people to take action.
Moonshine Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 21:05   #9
kully
Loves to post

75 MkI 1.8T Saloon

Unfortunately those driving a few hundred miles in a 4x4 won't care about a few more quid per tank. Best to increase the road tax on all those soft roaders to a couple of grand instead.

Fuel increases hurt, especially if you have not had a pay rise for years and no alternative like me. on the other hand, petrol will keep getting more expensive - we need to get used to it.
kully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 21:07   #10
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

If what I hear is true that petrol will be £7.50 a gallon by the end of august then it will cost £91 to fill my zt, but just what can we do that might make them take note?
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote