Notices

Old 2nd April 2012, 11:22   #111
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin75 View Post
Apologies for the editing Ray, but I do agree with some of your points. The almost unbelievable capital sum paid into the banks to correct their stupidity and greed, relegates Brown and his luminaries at his FSA to the business value of children.

Many saw the bank disaster looming, as the ease with which these institutions created money went unabated and unregulated. There are many clever people in this country. Why are we therefore run by unfortunate failures with no mercantile experience, or what the French call 'Le hump de commerce'.

They get their trousers taken down by the 'porsche and braces' brigade, not for peanuts but for amounts that leave the country with a 30 year debt and lifetime changing circumstances to endure.

I have worked closely for a few, well known individualistc genii who have built successful major companies. They were mainly savvy, feet on the ground realists. Common sense thinkers, unafraid of seeking opinion and employing good minds before taking a gamble. They had degrees - first class honours at the University of Hard Knocks, all of them, but they were long term wealth creators and were respected by their employees

The current wave of protest at the 'Toffs' etc doesn't take into account the terrifying debt crisis we are presently countenancing.

As Albert Einstein no less said:

Memory is deceptive because it is colored by today's events.
Yes Martin, the appallingly unquestioned freedom with which these idiots trash our national assets, infrastructure and future, and continue to get away with it is an embarrassment in front of the rest of the world. You would think that after 1000 years of comparatively intelligent rulers we would have in place a system that 'protects and serves'. Unfortunately, all it does is provide fertile ground for fanatics with only personal greed as a credo.

As I am sure you will agree, there is nothing wrong with degrees! At the very least they demonstrate a willingness to work and study, a most useful discipline for later life. Sadly, so many of our politicos see the degree as an end in itself rather than the means to advance, the subject of their degree bearing no relation to their chosen career.

The current climate throws up chancers who see an opportunity to scramble over the sweating backs of what they consider lesser beings, at the same time as being congratulated and rewarded by equally febrile charlatans.
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:32   #112
Martin75
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDti Auto Saloon 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
As I am sure you will agree, there is nothing wrong with degrees! At the very least they demonstrate a willingness to work and study, a most useful discipline for later life. Sadly, so many of our politicos see the degree as an end in itself rather than the means to advance, the subject of their degree bearing no relation to their chosen career.
I agree, they present an opportunity to opportunities! I found the training and experience I received from major companies invaluable, it was the completion of academic knowledge. Of course without the degree and more, I wouldn't have experienced the commercial portfolios that were the reality, the end game if you like.

I owe much to all those lecturers, over all those years who enabled me to piece together learning to it's inevitable extension, practical management. Throughout my life I have stayed in touch with one Prof, now 96 and as objective as he was 47 years ago. More than once his 'academic' advice from the 'supply side' was absolutely crucial in hefty decisions I had to make within the working environment, over many years.

Unfortunately I don't see the investment by major companies in young people these days. Some I have lectured to and become friendly with are brilliant. Given the long term investment I received, many would fly and help us back to recovery. Sadly their aspirations and enthusiasm are allowed to defray upon the wheel of political indifference. I'm not saying an Economist is more valuable than a Media Studies graduate, however we should help them both into careers where their knowledge is best utilised. Unfortunately in today's market thats become almost an impossibility.

Too often politicians with no relative experience in commerce, react adversely to the overall good and create damaging legislation. Simply they are promoted to their eventual level of incompetence, with dire results for us all, as at present.

Back on subject, these factors are somewhere in the 'pot' effecting fuel pricing, but only as a minor constituent. The shadow of the block commodity trader, (loose definition) via relatively new forces such as 'Hedge Funds' etc are disproportionately effecting refined product prices. These shadowy forces will stop at nothing including coercion to drive up costs. One of their strengths is the division of intent by those who should be joined against them - world governments. Sadly for many politicians it's less stressful, and perhaps also more profitable to allow these intimidatory forces an uninterrupted path to gain. Result increased costs to consumers and inevitably declining economies.

Last edited by Martin75; 2nd April 2012 at 19:45..
Martin75 is offline   Reply With Quote