Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th November 2021, 10:28   #1
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Default Diesel fuel pump testing itp?

Hi all,

As a separate thread from my recent clutch endeavours I'd like to confirm if my in tank fuel pump is working.

I've noticed since we got the car, turning on the ignition, the fuel pump under the bonnet primes and can be heard quite clearly inside the car as a loud humming noise. With the bonnet up, feeling the pump body you can feel it vibrating slightly. The priming lasts around 30 seconds before it stops.

I've tried opening the fuel filler and removing the filler cap and turning the ignition on and listening for a whine but its quite hard to tell if there's a faint whine coming from the filler due to the under bonnet pump.

Is there any other way to check the in tank pump is priming? Could I unplug the under bonnet pump using that small connector on top?

Thanks
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2021, 21:48   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yep, unplug the UBP and listen again through the open filler pipe. If you can hear anything it has to be the ITP.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote