Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th December 2020, 22:15   #11
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Trying to use Tapatalk to send a photo. Not giving me an option to reduce photo size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 22:17   #12
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

The old spring seemed in very good nick considering fifteen years old as well as the top mount and the rubbers so I just cleaned them up.
Incidentally, what is the best cleaner for these rubber parts? Any problems giving a quick wipe with Plusgas or WD40?

Last edited by edwardmk; 28th December 2020 at 22:22.. Reason: added omitted words
Old 28th December 2020, 22:18   #13
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Old 29th December 2020, 19:51   #14
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Kicking myself for not asking
Nooo!!!! A bit late now but always worth remembering that Rimmers will knock off a few ££ if you are spending a decent amount.
Old 31st December 2020, 19:40   #15
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Found time to remove the driver side damper. Not failed yet but the important lower drain hole blocked with crud and lots of rust evident. Intended to re use the original springs and top mounts but the driver side top mount had failed and the spring looked a bit shabby. The spring isolator had also acquired a distorted shape so decided now to replace both top mounts, springs and spring isolators.
Called Rimmers and asked for a discount. Apparently I have to wait until Jan 2nd b4 ordering to get any discount. (Leverage clearly not so good as Trikey lol)
Used the time today for some rust removal from the top mount bases and painting. Probably take 2 days to cure anyway but the final result should be better.
Just a thought. Is it OK to re -use the six nylock nuts to secure the new top mounts or should I buy new ones too? Bilstein instructions say to never re -use old nylock nuts and check all dimensions of wheel alignment after fitting new dampers?

Old 1st January 2021, 10:17   #16
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
... is it OK to re -use the six nylock nuts to secure the new top mounts or should I buy new ones too? Bilstein instructions say to never re -use old nylock nuts and check all dimensions of wheel alignment after fitting new dampers?
The 3 mounting nuts should be replaced, but the new top mount may come with them anyway. The new damper should come with a new shaft top nut.
The only adjustment of the front suspension on a 260 is toe in/out. You are not touching any parts of the suspension which would be likely to affect that though. The camber/castor angles are not adjustable. There may be very, very slight camber change as a result of any play in the 2 lower damper mounting holes, but it would be insignificant and difficult to adjust without (say) buying eccentric bolts.

Torques:
Top Mounting 3 Nylocs : 22 Nm
Big nut on damper : 58 Nm (I use a 18mm crow's-foot for that one while someone else holds the shaft with a hex/Allen socket).
Lower 2 strut-bolts to knuckle : 155 Nm.

If you wish to check alignment:
Front wheel alignment - toe in - 6 minutes per side (12 total)
Front wheel camber - negative 1 degree 10 minutes
Check with Tyre pressures: Front 34 psi and Rear 36 psi for 18" wheels, or Front 34 psi and Rear 40 psi for 17" wheels, and with a full tank of fuel.

David

Last edited by DeeJ; 2nd January 2021 at 16:15..
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 11:51   #17
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJ View Post
The 3 mounting nuts should be replaced, but the new top mount may come with them anyway. The new damper should come with a new shaft top nut.
The only adjustment of the front suspension on a 260 is toe in/out. You are not touching any parts of the suspension which would be likely to affect that though. The camber/castor angles are not adjustable. There may be very, very slight camber change as a result of any play in the 2 lower damper mounting holes, but it would be insignificant and difficult to adjust without (say) buying eccentric bolts.

Torques:
Top Mounting 3 Nylocs : 22 Nm
Big nut on damper : 58 Nm (I use a 18mm crow's-foot for that one while someone else holds the shaft with a hex/Allen socket).
Lower 2 strut-bolts to knuckle : 155 Nm.

If you wish to check alignment:
Front wheel alignment - toe in - 6 minutes per side (12 total)
Front wheel camber - negative 1 degree 10 minutes
Check with Tyre pressures Front 34 psi Rear 36 psi. and with a full tank of fuel.

David
Thanks for that most comprehensive reply David. Really helpful post for me. Happy New Year 2021
Old 1st January 2021, 13:46   #18
DeeJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Thanks for that most comprehensive reply David. Really helpful post for me. Happy New Year 2021
Your welcome. It's all on the Two-Sixties though, the source of all 260 knowledge!

Happy New Year to you and yours too,

David
DeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 19:33   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

It might help to add a little more grease to the ball bearings in the rotary top mount.---

PS. Don't use WD 40 on rubber. It makes it swell up.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 20:25   #20
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Last batch of parts ordered from Rimmers Sat am arrived Sunday pm. Well impressed, esp with a 12% discount. Got an early start and replaced dampers, springs, top mounts, spring isolators. Cleaned, serviced and checked the brakes and discs while at it.
Took me all day which isn’t impressive but it was all new to me working on suspension. The new springs were slightly longer so putting them on was a challenge for me. Judicious use of a trolley jack solved that one. Some pics attached. Thanks for all the advice.