Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th January 2019, 23:19   #61
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
This is my weekend car - I prefer driving this along country lanes than either the Rover or wife's SLK. Balloon tyres and long travel suspension give comfort rather than sharp handling, I can see over walls to see the view, - and other cars approaching, and if I need to, I can out of the way onto the verge quickly, at speed, without damaging anything or getting stuck. And if I get tired of driving, or need a break, I can find a nice quiet off-road spot to make a brew in the back, draw the curtains and have a kip. Described by an accident investigator as "inherently unstable, not safe at any speed, and designed for Tokyo traffic". I beg to differ, even if crash tests on them are horrific.
A friend in Slovakia has a neighbour who did one of those up for a hunting van complete with a nice big winch on the custom front bumper to pull himself out if he gets stuck or string up a deer for dressing. Mitsubishi?

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 23:26   #62
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Slovcan: Yes, L300 Delica. Rare, but popular with Canadians who love the wild country. More bear-proof than a tent!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 23:41   #63
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Slovcan: Yes, L300 Delica. Rare, but popular with Canadians who love the wild country. More bear-proof than a tent!
Yes, I saw lots of them when we lived in British Columbia. The JDM import business is thriving there.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 06:26   #64
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Surely the vast majority of collisions occur because one human being makes an error of judgement and makes a choice in their actions which has nasty consequences?

Such as, perhaps, pulling out of a junction when there isn't enough space/time to do so and......crunch.

Now, IMHO the focus should surely be on the competence of the driver to be in control of a vehicle. If they are unable to judge the speed of approaching traffic and work out if the vehicle they are driving is capable of pulling out safely without any other road user changing their speed or course then, maybe, they shouldn't be in control of any vehicle on the public road?

Interestingly the knee jerk reaction seems to be a discussion about reducing the speed limit on the major road. I'm going for a person with a flag walking in front of every vehicle . Might reduce the unemployment figures also .

I've posted before that perhaps one idea would be that if you are involved in a collision you have to take a retest. No collisions, no re-test; lots of collisions, lots of re-tests costing lots of ££££'s.

Oh, and an inability to drive at the speed limit when & where appropriate is a fail. So the motorists who are unable to maintain a reasonable speed causing queues and frustration leading to "rash" overtaking decisions are also deemed not fit to be in control of a vehicle.

The issues around what sort of vehicle is the "best" to have collision in is a bit cart before horse to me. How about 30+ tonnes of truck? Apparently they can stop in about a couple of car lengths at 60mph if what I regularly see on motorways is anything to go by. Not too sure how a 4x4 copes with that?

Many years ago one of the motorcycle magazines did a test with riders wearing a helmet ('cus it's the law) & swimming trunks. The idea was that the rider felt (and indeed was) much more vulnerable so they would alter their riding "style" accordingly.

I seem to remember it worked to a degree. The riders were much more "defensive" in their style but were not a huge degree slower overall.

Lots of factors, lots of choice, apparently no simple solutions.

Looking forward to more discussion.

Andy.
Lots of good sense there.

I also remember Jeremy Clarkson suggesting that the way to get people to drive more safely and with more consideration was to remove all airbags and replace with a large spike in the centre of the steering wheel aimed directly at the drivers chest.

Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 06:46   #65
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bone View Post
But a family hatchback/saloon/estate car wont be able to traverse a field or moorland. This is an important factor for some, such as pipeline inspectors. I'm one, and in the last 10 yrs I've driven over 500k miles in a 4x4, without incident, so while you are perfectly entitled to your opinion that they have no place on our roads, or that owning one is compensating for some form of deficiency......

You're wrong.
And here you hit the nail on the head. The urban weekend warriors see no need for anyone to have an SUV or a 4x4 because their life usually revolves around an urban area where the only road problem is Congestion and the potholes.

The fact that some of us live and work in areas where gravel tracks and towing things are an everyday occurrence does not occur to them.

And of course many young families today have found the joys of caravaning - a good sturdy AWD vehicle may well have to negotiate the perils of the school run if it is the only vehicle the family can afford and they need a safe tow truck for the weekends and holidays.

But the anti 4x4 dinosaurs have had their day - they are brain dead but don’t know it. Because all it took was a few bad winters such that kind hearted 4x4 owners stepped in to help ferry NHS personnel and medicines about in conditions that stopped 2WD vehicles and the entire population saw the truth.

Saw the reality

Saw the vindictive stupidity of the likes of the “Ban the urban 4x4” muppets and turned their backs on them.

Some still exist and pop up now and then. But then so do piles.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 09:43   #66
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
This is my weekend car - I prefer driving this along country lanes than either the Rover or wife's SLK. Balloon tyres and long travel suspension give comfort rather than sharp handling, I can see over walls to see the view, - and other cars approaching, and if I need to, I can out of the way onto the verge quickly, at speed, without damaging anything or getting stuck. And if I get tired of driving, or need a break, I can find a nice quiet off-road spot to make a brew in the back, draw the curtains and have a kip. Described by an accident investigator as "inherently unstable, not safe at any speed, and designed for Tokyo traffic". I beg to differ, even if crash tests on them are horrific.
The Mitsubishi Delica is most certainly a great utility vehicle for all occasions, even the school run. We had two nearly 20 years ago now, based on the Pajero chassis, basically a L300 van on stilts, 4x4 meets MPV.

They hit our shores back in 2000, the grey import market that swamped Southampton docks for the next 10 years, you would find one on every street corner.

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 09:49   #67
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Nice looking motor there, Wes.

It just needs a Scooby Doo paint job.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 10:09   #68
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
even if crash tests on them are horrific.
To freely quote from Only Fools and Horses, "well don't have a crash then!".

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 10:16   #69
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Slightly off topic, but what are people’s views on 4x4 tyres for driving across a terrain off road covered in rocks/boulders, through the bush and desert, tube or tubeless?

Here in Kenya, we have a pool of 4x4s on our small holding, shared by 3 families, all related. The 4x4’s: a Range Rover, 3 Land Rovers, Jeep, Pajero and a Trooper. The roads and off road can be quite punishing and there is always a 4x4 needing repairs, but we are never short of borrowing one. It is useful knowing how to drive a 4x4 without having to rely on an onboard computer. We use our for safari and carrying manure in the back, work horses.

What I have not seen mentioned is the status certain brands of 4x4 carry in Kenya. If someone drives a Land Rover or a Toyota Land Cruiser, they are considered to be part of the smart set, certainly not the living dead
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 10:31   #70
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Nice looking motor there, Wes.

It just needs a Scooby Doo paint job.
Lol The Scooby Doo van is what my daughters named it Bob, we even had a small scooby van model sat on the dash.

I could take if off road and bounce it around like a ball, never would it roll. We also had a very rare 3 door Toyota HiLux Surf 2.4 petrol model, very modern for its time.

I picked them up from the docks back in 2000, both the Delica and Hi-Lux were all the rage back then. Nobody knew what they were, we could not go anywhere without folk stopping to ask what they were, and where could they get one from, it was a very fun time...

My 4x4 days, teaching my daughters what country life is all about.

Last edited by Dallas; 19th January 2019 at 10:47..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote