Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th March 2019, 17:40   #1
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Default DMF? What's the point?

So, as posted in Technical (with no response), the CDT, after 132kmiles, has developed clutch judder as you set off. Once on the move, or standing idling, totally vibration free, it's fine, pulls like a train, 80 over Shap, I even took it to the ton a couple of weeks back. But the judder has been getting harder to avoid. So today I phoned the ex- Rover dealer near me, and described the symptoms. DMF says he - I used to do quite a few. "Strange" thinks I, "the general opinion on the forum is that DMFs are not a problem on these, especially if the clutch hasn't been abused - which it hasn't. In my 45 years of driving, I've needed 3 new clutches in my cars , 2 of which expired while being driven by someone else (and no, I don't lend my cars so someone else can take the blame!) Anyway, I took it to my usual garage after work, and asked the mechanic "How do you tell whether your clutch judder is DMF or oil on it?". "I'll show you" says he. So he starts her up, pulls the handbrake full on, puts it into gear, and starts to let the clutch out, building up the power as it starts to bite, and over about 15 seconds, pulling harder on the handbrake as it tries to move, he finally gets the clutch to slip with the pedal apparently fully up., and strong smell of burning clutch, but not burning oil.
Nor did it seem to produce the judder I experience on normal take-off. "Your clutch is worn out"says he with a grin " So why does it judder? I've driven cars with worn clutches before, and they've been smooth up to the point where if you accelerate hard, it revs like an auto!" "DMF has room to slap about if the clutch is worn ". Can someone explain how this can be. Broken spring(s)? Why, if you never let the clutch out quickly? Driving home, I didn't floor it, but I accelerated fairly briskly in all 5 gears along the dual carriageway, and while the bite is right at the top, once engaged, it doesn't slip under acceleration. Oh and it's an un-modified 115bhp motor. I think I'll just run it till it does slip in normal driving, then get rid. It will never be worth the cost of repair, despite it's 2001 Connie spec and rust-free body.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 17:45   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Could it be the tear drop at the rear of the gearbox?
Old 27th March 2019, 18:14   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Nor did it seem to produce the judder I experience on normal take-off. "Your clutch is worn out"says he with a grin " So why does it judder? I've driven cars with worn clutches before, and they've been smooth up to the point where if you accelerate hard, it revs like an auto!" "DMF has room to slap about if the clutch is worn ". Can someone explain how this can be. Broken spring(s)? Why, if you never let the clutch out quickly? Driving home, I didn't floor it, but I accelerated fairly briskly in all 5 gears along the dual carriageway, and while the bite is right at the top, once engaged, it doesn't slip under acceleration.

Mmmm, was he touting for business by wrecking the clutch?

A worn out clutch does judder, your judder has another cause. Check the gearbox rear mount. Its a ten minute job, once the engine (under) cover is removed. Two bolts to remove, you then poke screwdriver through the middle of the large bush and try to twist it, to show up any splits in the rubber mount. If its split (it will be) it needs to be replaced.

There are several possibilities for replacement - original Rover mount, a poly-mount to replace the big end bush, a modified Mondeo mount.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 19:15   #4
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks, guys. I'm taking my van in to work tomorrow, and I'll get the car up on ramps at the weekend to check the gearbox rear mount. That will be a lot cheaper than the £800 + the 2 garages estimated for clutch and dmf replacement. Fingers crossed you have correctly identified the problem.
Old 27th March 2019, 20:58   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Andrew fit the clutch yourself, it's not a bad job, to do it properly takes a little extra time as the subframe must be removed to do the job.

A three part clutch kit can be found HERE for a shade over £116.

Finally, I would never take the word of someone who deliberately wrecks what is left in terms of friction material by doing what he did to "demonstrate" DMF failure........what a complete moron

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2019, 20:24   #6
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the encouragement Brian. I was given a last-minute change of workplace , Brampton, Carlisle - a 70mile round trip instead of the 20 miles to Penrith and back. I decided to risk it with the Rover, instead of the slow and thirsty 4x4. Needless to say, apart from a bit of juddering at junctions, it did the A66-M6-A69 journey effortlessly - no sign of slip. I am still annoyed to think any mechanic would treat a car like that! And does worn down clutch friction material induce DMF looseness/slap?What exactly is it that happens to the DMF? Is the mechanic's behaviour likely to have shortened the life of anything else other than the friction plate?
Old 28th March 2019, 20:31   #7
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Just had a thought - you would think either the front wheels would have started spinning, or the back wheels would have been dragged - I couldn't see whether he also had his foot on the brakes!
Old 29th March 2019, 18:36   #8
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

i fitted an original rover mount last year it cost me 40 quid the rubber inside breaks up so fitted a new one and it sorted it rgds mark

Last edited by markypicks; 29th March 2019 at 18:41..
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 18:38   #9
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Thanks for the encouragement Brian. I was given a last-minute change of workplace , Brampton, Carlisle - a 70mile round trip instead of the 20 miles to Penrith and back. I decided to risk it with the Rover, instead of the slow and thirsty 4x4. Needless to say, apart from a bit of juddering at junctions, it did the A66-M6-A69 journey effortlessly - no sign of slip. I am still annoyed to think any mechanic would treat a car like that! And does worn down clutch friction material induce DMF looseness/slap?What exactly is it that happens to the DMF? Is the mechanic's behaviour likely to have shortened the life of anything else other than the friction plate?
and hes prob burnt off 6000 miles of clutch wear in doing so rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 20:24   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Do you not get clutch judder with a worn thrust bearing too? (Along with noise when depressing the pedal)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote