Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2019, 17:18   #21
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickoshea View Post
I think the driver could be described as being sexually self sufficient.......
Took me a couple of seconds but ... very stealth like!
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:52   #22
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

I do quite a bit of rural driving and have experienced memorable encounters:

1. On my way to my cousin's wedding about 10 of us were in a minibus taxi. The muppet driver, without slowing from 30 mph, left about 12 inches of room between the horse and the bus. The horse kicked up in fright as the front passed him, and I thought he was going to fall into the side of the van. We were all so stunned we didn't know what to say I don't think taxi driver noticed. Driver at fault.

2. On a particularly narrow, windy country lane I use I always sound my horn at a couple of sharp bends to warn oncoming vehicles. Unfortunately this time a horse was approaching and it kicked up and wanted to bolt towards the van, as it blocked the lane it circled round to go back. The poor rider was hanging on vertically behind the thing and finally calmed it down and it eventually stood still. I wasn't travelling fast and could stop and witnessed it all. I apologised as my good intentions had nearly caused a nasty incident, the rider was a bit shaken but was understanding. Shook me up a bit and makes me think carefully now around horses.

3. On the way to work one day I came towards a woman leading a pony with a girl riding and a dog running loose. I waited at a gate for them to safely pass and didn't get any thanks, ignorant *****
2 hours later going home form work I came towards them again. I thought *** it I'm not waiting this time, and as the lane was wide enough here I kept going very slowly past them giving the pony plenty of room. The dog, still off a lead, however was running everywhere and very nearly ended up under the van, I just kept going as I'd had enough already and she'd tested my patience.
As I drove on down the lane I heard her shout and gesticulate at me. I backed up and got out and asked the woman what her problem was?
She said there was a pony and I needed to keep my distance.
I explained in no uncertain terms that I was very careful of the pony and if she could remember I had waited patiently earlier while they passed.
No answer. Then she mentioned what about the dog?
Red mist rising I replied that it should be under control on a lead, as a anyone with common sense would do. She tried to point out it was under control, as she asked it many times to come to heel and it did exactly what it wanted to! At this point a decided I'd had enough and drove off telling her it was bound to get run over eventually.
Ironically my customer about 1/2 mile up the lane, later that year had one of his dogs killed when it got over the garden wall and was hit.

Therefore my opinion is, without knowing all the facts and that is important, it could possibly be half a dozen of one and six of the other.
Having said that the rover driver probably was like the taxi driver, and adequately described by Rickoshea
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:55   #23
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Be interesting to see the other side of the story.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:29   #24
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Sounds easy, but believe me it is not.

And not only do horses have an equal right to be on the road but it is a criminal offence under the Highways Act 1935 to “wilfully ride or lead or drive a horse on a footpath or causeway by the side of the road...”
In this instance, not a causeway or footpath but a grass verge. I am a horserider too, most horseriders are appreciative of your courtesy and patience, but occasionally they are arrogant and inconsiderate too. Where they are able, they should be prepared to move onto the verge and let cars pass wide and slow. You can usually tell if a horse is going to be skittish before you are actually level with it. If I can see this, I will stop the car and switch off, until the rider has got control, or moved well out of danger.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:49   #25
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Many moons ago, I worked at an MOD site on Chobham common and a few of us used to go running over the common at lunch time. We always had a bit of a love / hate relationship with the horse riders who also used the common: most were okay, but one or 2 were snooty so & so's who thought they owned the land.

One lunchtime, a friend of mine came back from his run quite upset, having had a run in with one of the snootier riders. The chap in question is probably the politest person I have ever met, and the thought of someone having a go at him riled me a little . It was in this frame of mind that I set off for my lunchtime run the following day.

Anyhow, whilst on my run, I spotted a horse and rider approaching. The footpath /bridleway was very wide at this point (far wider than a normal "A" road), but nevertheless I slowed right down and moved right to the edge, practically in the brambles (how considerate of me ). As the horse approached, despite my best endeavours, it gave a bit of a buck (nothing serious). "I'll bet I get the blame for that" thought I. No sooner had I passed, when I heard a haughty voice declare "Have you no manners?" .

Full of righteous indignation I turned on my heels and and enquired in a hostile tone: "What's your problem?". The horse rider looked up, went very red faced, and replied:

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I was talking to my horse"

Really wish I'd kept my mouth shut that day.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 19:02   #26
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

It would have probably cost the driver a few extra seconds waiting for the horses to get to a clear area allowing them to move over and the car to pass, unfortunatley there are idiots on all forms of transport I say that as a car driver and a horse rider.
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 21:38   #27
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Driver appears to have acted like a total you know what BUT we don’t know how long they had been stuck behind what appears to be an arrogant so and so of a horse rider you can see a long line of cars trapped behind the horses the rider obviously had no intention of stopping and allowing trapped cars to pass admit riding two abreast on the road and slowing to create even more anger and frustration in the driver then acting holier than thou about it all.
Having had a car damaged by a horse kicking while I was parked up with engine off to be told by the rider “there’s nothing you can do I don’t have insurance and I won’t give you my details” I have zero time for anyone who rides. But as I’ve said the driver behaved badly at least in the very short clip I’ve seen and I’m sure the rider picked the worst possible bit of film to show

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 23:09   #28
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
I live in a rural area with two close neighbours owning horses so we are used to horses on the road.
Earlier this week I was crawling up behind a rider approaching a blind summit and the rider having a commanding view signalled it was safe for me to pass.

They always acknowledge drivers who do slow down.
Yes. We live in what is virtually the country, 100 yards away, and we have horses coming at all different times of the day. Early morning when the children are going to school. The kids love them and the horses are well behaved at all times. In fact, one whose name is George, will not go past without you either giving him a treat, or a stroke . Nothing wrong with the horses, it’s the owner in most cases who have their ‘eyebrows’ hoisted by their petard. The only thing I do not understand is, when I was a child, horses used to walk facing the traffic. Now they don’t. Why?
Old 3rd April 2019, 23:53   #29
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

lol at all the social media judgement based purely on a one sided version of the story.. and a picture seemingly showing the car reasonably far back to my eyes.

Hang him! Death to rover drivers, lock him up!, what a ***k!, he is EVIL etc etc... My god..

Such low IQ people on facebook, what a bunch of cretins.

Mind you, this is the same country where you have idiots going after Paediatricians because they thought they were Paedophiles...sigh.

Always two sides to everything, for all the bottom feeding facebook retards know, the horse people might have been purposely obstructing the driver to "teach him a lesson".

Last edited by T16; 4th April 2019 at 07:39..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 05:38   #30
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
lol at all the social media judgement based purely on a one sided version of the story.. and a picture seemingly showing the car reasonably far back to my eyes.

Hang him! Death to rover drivers, lock him up!, what a ***k!, he is EVIL etc etc... My god..

Such low IQ people on facebook, what a bunch of cretins.

Mind you, this is the same country where you have council estate dwellers going after Paediatricians because they thought they were Paedophiles...sigh.

Always two sides to everything, for all the bottom feeding facebook retards know, the horse people might have been purposely obstructing the driver to "teach him a lesson" to use common persons parlance.
As regards blocking a car driver - Yes - they could well have learnt those tactics from cyclists - a valid observation.

But I seriously doubt a parent would use a child in that way

And whilst I do not use FB at all - I would not negatively label all those that do.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote