Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th September 2017, 19:11   #41
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post

Let us know how you get on with the AP Lockheed original item. I think there is somewhere where you can still get these as a new item, at a price (200 pounds when I last looked). They were certainly durable, but did not give as good a pedal as the later aftermarket items (LUK or Tazu), with a heavier, spongier pedal action, based on my experience of driving 75s that were still on their original factory clutches.
Pete
DMGRS still has some of the AP Lockheed units for around £120.00
CMOORESY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 16:57   #42
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Default Final update, I hope...

Latest update of my TZAU metal slave woes.

I have now been reimbursed for the purchase of the TZAU metal slave from e-car parts , Sandy, Beds. This is the second one in 6 months.

Again, the bearing went after 3 months. It appears to have been dry since manufacture.

Nick of e-car parts forwarded the claim through to X-Part once again who settled the labour cost with my local garage.

I'm recon if X-Part are appraising failed parts and paying out labour then they are pretty sure the part was faulty.

So, Thanks to Nick at e-car parts for handling this and forwarding the claim to X-Part, Eddy at Wybunbury garage for dealing with the labour claim / X-part / Nick and fitting 3 slaves in 6 months.

There is a lesson here.
If you purchase a genuine part from a registered X-Part dealer you are able to claim against labour. In this case, that has been worth a lot.

Thanks all, and if you go down the TZAU slave route, ensure that the bearing does not spin freely when you get it. This probably means there is no grease in there.
Old 10th October 2017, 17:45   #43
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOORESY View Post

Thanks all, and if you go down the TZAU slave route, ensure that the bearing does not spin freely when you get it. This probably means there is no grease in there.
Do you not mean that the bearing should spin freely when it is new ?? - the Tazu metal slaves I have handled I have had a smooth spinning action when new, and so far, have given good service, albeit over fairly low mileages (up to 6,000 miles). I would think lack of grease would mean the bearing would not spin freely. Please clarify your statement !

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 16:12   #44
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Do you not mean that the bearing should spin freely when it is new ?? - Please clarify your statement !
I will clarify my statement !!!

No!
Ungreased bearings DO spin freely as there is no grease to offer resistance.

Bearings with grease have resistance. i.e. feel 'stiffer to turn' BUT have grease for the bearings to run on.
This was the glaring difference between a genuine new-old-stock AP lockheed slave and a TZAU.

The AP unit has grease in the bearing the TZAU had none.
Old 12th October 2017, 17:28   #45
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOORESY View Post
I will clarify my statement !!!

No!
Ungreased bearings DO spin freely as there is no grease to offer resistance.

Bearings with grease have resistance. i.e. feel 'stiffer to turn' BUT have grease for the bearings to run on.
This was the glaring difference between a genuine new-old-stock AP lockheed slave and a TZAU.

The AP unit has grease in the bearing the TZAU had none.
Thanks for the clarification, Chris. How is the AP slave behaving in your car ? I had a look at the DMGRS website and they do not seem to have any more AP Lockheed slaves available. I wonder what the Genuine Rover ones that Rimmers sell actually are ? (Tazu ??).

My Tazu slave seems OK so far, but only has about 6,000 miles on it

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 19:39   #46
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Thanks, Its fine.
At 6,000 it looks like you are through the TZAU danger zone. From experience this is between 3,000 and 4,000, so good luck.

Keep this tread going with any news good or bad as there is some good advice and info on here from members that will help owners make a reasonable informed choice, but I guess its like everything in life, you pays your money you takes your chance.

I did a bit of research and the AP lockheed business was taken over by Delphi in 2000 who continued supply to Rover under the AP lockheed and Delphi Lockheed brand names. The Delphi site is the old Lockheed site in Leamington Spa.

Now you can buy a Delphi branded concentric slave for a Rover 75 diesel and to me, the photos I have found look the same as the new old stock item I bought. Remember, the originals had plastic pipes (easier to thread through). As far as I can see, Delphi are the only company that make the 75 slave with plastic pipework. Coincidence?

I bet the body of the Delphi concentric slave still carries the 'AP' logo.

I cant see them chucking the tooling away and starting again.

The Delphi slaves are about £120 to buy. So don't appear suspiciously cheap.

Surprised no-one on here has cottoned onto this as the AP slaves outlasted the life of the clutch plate every time from original fit.

Anyone fitted a Delphi on here? and if not, why not?
That's what I would put in if I couldn't of got hold of a AP slave.

My experience of LUK is not great at 30,000 miles until complete disintegration of the hydraulics.

I bought the TZAU because I thought if X-Part were branding this then it would be quality. On both occasions X-Part have inspected the part and confirmed it was defective and paid the labour claim as well as refunding the part money.

Good luck.

Last edited by CMOORESY; 12th October 2017 at 19:52..
Old 28th April 2019, 14:18   #47
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Having removed the gearbox from my 133,000mile CDT, it is apparent that the thrust bearing has failed, causing clutch judder, and some scuffing of the guide tube. My question is this. As no rotating parts bear on the outside of the static (bolted on) guide tube, only the concentric spring, which separates the guide tube from the slave assembly, am I right in thinking that greasing the outside of the guide tube is simply to ensure that the coils of the spring slide smoothly over the surface of the tube, giving a smooth action on the clutch release mechanism? I am about to fit new the Rimmers plastic unit with metal pipes, (as well as pressure and drive plates) the bearing appears to be fairly stiff with grease, and the only comment/ query otherwise is whether the slightly non-concentric bearing end of the spring in it's surround will affect its smooth sliding on the tube, which need slight sideways pressure to allow it to fit through the plastic bearing end of the slave? It would appear that neither DMGRS nor Rimmers keep the guide tube in stock - does anyone know of a supplier?
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 14:48   #48
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Having removed the gearbox from my 133,000mile CDT, it is apparent that the thrust bearing has failed, causing clutch judder, and some scuffing of the guide tube. My question is this. As no rotating parts bear on the outside of the static (bolted on) guide tube, only the concentric spring, which separates the guide tube from the slave assembly, am I right in thinking that greasing the outside of the guide tube is simply to ensure that the coils of the spring slide smoothly over the surface of the tube, giving a smooth action on the clutch release mechanism? I am about to fit new the Rimmers plastic unit with metal pipes, (as well as pressure and drive plates) the bearing appears to be fairly stiff with grease, and the only comment/ query otherwise is whether the slightly non-concentric bearing end of the spring in it's surround will affect its smooth sliding on the tube, which need slight sideways pressure to allow it to fit through the plastic bearing end of the slave? It would appear that neither DMGRS nor Rimmers keep the guide tube in stock - does anyone know of a supplier?

is this the bit you refer to
https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...seal-utl100081

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 16:13   #49
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

Rimmers do have the sleeve in stock.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-UTL100081
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 16:32   #50
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Light scuffing of the input shaft seal/nose guide is perfectly acceptable Andrew, deep ridging however is not.

When you gunk out the inside of the bellhousing and guide tube, then wash off the residue, simply run your thumbnail over the section where the yellow passivisation is polished, and if you can't feel an appreciable step then it's suitable for reuse.

You are correct in your assumption that the only movement taking place at that point in the contact of the return spring of the release bearing, and as long as the body of the CSC fits squarely and parallel with the input shaft, then there is no need to replace it.

It is very important, and this is where most failures stem from, that the gearbox is not allowed to "hang" on the input shaft during fitting, as this introduces unacceptable loading on both the guide sleeve, and input shaft oil seal.

I use an M12 dowel with a tapered lead in screwed into the block to allow easier alignment, and to prevent this type of strain taking place.

The eyelet on the gearbox casing adjacent to where the slave pipework exits the hole in the bellhousing, is a perfectly balanced lifting point

The input shaft splines, and guide sleeve do need to be lightly lubricated with molybdenum disulphide grease, and I do mean lightly......any excess needs to be wiped off prior to fitting.

Have fun

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote