Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th April 2019, 17:14   #41
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
All I can say is - you should try laying on a 1/2 day (3.5 to 4 hours) course for 20 people and see how the total cost works out.
I do as part of my work. £600 easily covers costs for 1/2 day inc. venue. Add £150 for drinks and lunch for 20 people. As I said, some healthy profits fall out of these seminars.
Old 28th April 2019, 20:06   #42
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
this does niggle me for a few reasons - the £100 Fine comes at a bad time, my temp contract with the company i was working for has just recently ended (so i'm in between Jobs) also it seems the company held onto the Enforcement Notice (whatever it's called) asking for the Driver to be Named until i'd finished working with them - maybe an insurance issue - it would have been easier to swallow whilst i was working - it does seem they held off returning the form til the last minute knowing i'd no longer be working there and they would not have to concern themselves with possible insurance issues.

that said I knew I had been caught at 60 in a 50 so I should have been better prepared (financially)

another thing is the Road - the Main Spine Road in Livingston - the 50 mph limit here causes more safety concerns than it addresses - traffic is generally bunched up with most folks hugging the inside lane - joining and exiting the Carriageway is ridiculous - as a result of this limit (IMO) - I know the reason for reducing the Speed Limit on this Road, a few pedestrians have been killed crossing the Dual Carriageway rather than use the bridge - in the late 80's a friend of mine was killed (just a kid) playing chicken with oncoming cars horrific, but no speed restriction will make this a "Safe" pastime - if anything it would be more dangerous for any pedestrian trying to cross nowadays with the bunched up traffic..

another annoyance for me - at the moment i was clocked I had reached to answer a call on the Bluetooth Parrot Device in the Van at the same time noticing the Camera Van and, well it was too late to slow to 50 - but get this - me being distracted by a Call whilst Driving is completely within the Law and considered acceptable as long as i'm talking hands free NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- awful things - it was a requirement of the Job I needed to be able to be contacted while on the Road - I can confidently state even Hands free Bluetooth Calls whilst driving are Dangerous and not something i'll ever use or accept as a job requirement again - much safer to return a missed call when parked up.

one more to end the Rant - "Drive to Road Conditions" i'd like to think that I had been brought up to have some amount of common sense and discernment - I do find Speed Limits in particular to be somewhat incohesive - on my Driving Test the only thing the Examiner faulted me on was driving a bit SLOW on a stretch of National Limit Road 60 on this particular road would be excessive and NOT at all safe - especially for a relatively inexperienced driver that doesn't know the Road - If I drove anyone down that road at 60 i'm sure they'd be screaming at me to SLOW DOWN

it's NOT about Safety with these Cameras/Restrictions etc... more about Control......and an easy source of Revenue for the Policy Enforcers

Paul.
We had two way radio in the lorries. I never answered it until I had come to a safe place to pull up. Easy to do.
Old 28th April 2019, 20:29   #43
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Sorry, Brian, I usually agree with what you say in most of your posts, but I find it hard to believe that there’s nothing that someone can’t learn or be taught about road safety: the course doesn’t just deal with speed, although obviously that’s what’s taken everyone to it.

I'm sure I’m not the only 'mature' driver who hasn’t read the Highway Code for quite a while, when I did last read it there were a lot of changes from when I took my test. So I look upon the course as a refresher - many jobs require regular ‘Continuous Professional Development' courses or study, why should driving be any different?
Old 28th April 2019, 20:31   #44
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

As luck would have it, 2 letters came through the post on Friday from Cumbria Constabulary, one for me, one for my wife. I am being done for doing 35 in a 30 limit (Warwick Bridge, A69), in the Slowver (shortly before taking it off the road), my wife for doing 55 in a 50 limit on the A66 near Appleby in her new(er) SLK. So no arguments about "you should be more careful" then. No. But it's still my fault. She was taking me to Stockton to buy a temporary replacement for the Rover while I am changing its clutch!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 20:42   #45
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
As luck would have it, 2 letters came through the post on Friday from Cumbria Constabulary, one for me, one for my wife. I am being done for doing 35 in a 30 limit (Warwick Bridge, A69), in the Slowver (shortly before taking it off the road), my wife for doing 55 in a 50 limit on the A66 near Appleby in her new(er) SLK. So no arguments about "you should be more careful" then. No. But it's still my fault. She was taking me to Stockton to buy a temporary replacement for the Rover while I am changing its clutch!
How long are you expecting the clutch change to take
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 20:42   #46
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post

Look on the bright side - your Mrs has impeccable taste in cars.

Paying speeding fines is a small price to pay for the privilege of the company of such a woman. Does she practice hair design, aspire to do so or is she just playing at it through having an SLK?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 20:58   #47
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
I do as part of my work. £600 easily covers costs for 1/2 day inc. venue. Add £150 for drinks and lunch for 20 people. As I said, some healthy profits fall out of these seminars.

Excellent - I have done the same many times.

How about you providing a breakdown of the above costs and the profit that you see the police making on the basis of 20 people volunteering to go on such a course.

I will do the same and we can compare out views.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 21:12   #48
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

R.e the "Speed Awareness Course"

Should I not have been offered this as an option ?

I have no previous Speeding Offences - and from what I've seen I should be offered this if - "caught driving over 10% plus 2mph of the limit, but below 10% plus 9mph."

60mph in a 50mph limit = 10% + 5mph

Just curious - I'll be paying the Fine and taking the 3 points

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 22:34   #49
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
How long are you expecting the clutch change to take
Well Brian, it's taken me 2 weekends (with many diversions and cups of tea) to get this far! No need to rush, now I've got a NICE,RELIABLE, RENAULT CABRIO!

Old 28th April 2019, 22:49   #50
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Look on the bright side - your Mrs has impeccable taste in cars.

Paying speeding fines is a small price to pay for the privilege of the company of such a woman. Does she practice hair design, aspire to do so or is she just playing at it through having an SLK?
MSS, she'll pay her own fines! And she likes seeing Porsche drivers checking their speedos as she goes past them. No slouch with 272bhp on tap. She was lucky the road was busy on that day!