Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th April 2019, 20:32   #51
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

It very much depends on many factors as to why the 75/ZT diesel replacement clutches fail sooner than they should.
These include who did the work, the make and quality of the parts, and also how long they've been sat on the shelf (especially if it's a slave) and then there's also how the clutch has been used.
I don't replace clutches these days as I'm not fit enough to do things like that anymore and I don't know anyone round me that I could definitely rely upon to do the job as I would expect it to be done.

That's why I wouldn't recommend anyone to get a manual car around here that could possibly require a clutch change.

The quality problem is not only related to clutch parts, there's many instances where replacement parts for our cars that are of the original quality and specification just are no longer available.
Good examples of this are suspension arms, bushes, droplinks, exhausts etc.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 28th April 2019 at 20:42..
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 21:26   #52
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=266522 In this thread, the OP has the cost of the labour and new parts provided by the manufacturer of the failed part(s), twice! Nice to know that reputable manufacturers will stand the cost of their failures. This is the first car I have owned with an internal clutch slave. I am half way through changing it, and the clutch, all of which I suspect is the original, factory fitted in 2001, having completed 133,000 miles. The hydraulics have not failed, the bearing is very worn, but still rotates smoothly. It is simply that the clutch plate has worn down so far, the rivets have worn away, and what is left of the friction rings are floating free! This is the most time consuming and complex clutch change I have ever done (not that I have done many). The last slave I had to change was on my wife's old MGF - dead easy, bolted to the outside of the gearbox. Why did they not do this for the 75/ZT? Or were they going to, until BMW got their hands on it?
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 17:02   #53
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

My first ZT CDTi (2004) was purchased in August 2008 - still regret parting with the 1998 800 Vitesse Coupe!

The ZT had around 55000 miles on it and in Summer 2012 had the clutch etc changed at a around 165000 miles as a precautionary measure as off the South France / Northern Spain for holidays.

In late 2016 I changed the master cylinder but then the slave cylinder went at around 265000 miles. Rather than doing what I considered to be a horrible job again i bought a replacement one owner same colour 2005 ZT CDTI with 72000 miles on the clock in December 2016. It had had a new clutch fitted that Autumn. I still have the complete original ZT but will probably scrap it this Summer.

The clutch on the replacement car started to fail and so it was replaced but this only lasted a few months. I do around 25000 miles per year in the ZT every year. The current replaced clutch seems fine but if it goes then this will be two ZT cars that I will have scrapped. Shame but it seems their weak point. BTW the placing of the reservoir for the master cylinder is a triumph of daft places to put an item that needs occasional topping up.

Quite fancy a current shape (2018) Vauxhall Insignia SRi diesel next year when I retire. Will still have the 260 for company though!

Steve
2750 HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 18:03   #54
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2750 HP View Post
My first ZT CDTi (2004) was purchased in August 2008 - still regret parting with the 1998 800 Vitesse Coupe!

The ZT had around 55000 miles on it and in Summer 2012 had the clutch etc changed at a around 165000 miles as a precautionary measure as off the South France / Northern Spain for holidays.

In late 2016 I changed the master cylinder but then the slave cylinder went at around 265000 miles. Rather than doing what I considered to be a horrible job again i bought a replacement one owner same colour 2005 ZT CDTI with 72000 miles on the clock in December 2016. It had had a new clutch fitted that Autumn. I still have the complete original ZT but will probably scrap it this Summer.

The clutch on the replacement car started to fail and so it was replaced but this only lasted a few months. I do around 25000 miles per year in the ZT every year. The current replaced clutch seems fine but if it goes then this will be two ZT cars that I will have scrapped. Shame but it seems their weak point. BTW the placing of the reservoir for the master cylinder is a triumph of daft places to put an item that needs occasional topping up.

Quite fancy a current shape (2018) Vauxhall Insignia SRi diesel next year when I retire. Will still have the 260 for company though!

Steve
Steve, I run a 2014 Insignia Elite cdt, auto,163 bhp as standard, great towing csr, very fuel efficient, will do 60mpg on a good run, without caravan of course. Very tesponsive too 😊😊
Old 29th April 2019, 18:19   #55
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Steve, I run a 2014 Insignia Elite cdt, auto,163 bhp as standard, great towing csr, very fuel efficient, will do 60mpg on a good run, without caravan of course. Very tesponsive too 😊😊

Thanks very much - I like the Father Jack picture

Steve
2750 HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 18:22   #56
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
................BTW the placing of the reservoir for the master cylinder is a triumph of daft places to put an item that needs occasional topping up.

Steve

The M/C does not "need an occasional topping-up".

Also, would you like to guess the location and type of the Insignia clutch master cylinder?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 19:14   #57
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Thanks very much - I like the Father Jack picture

Steve
Drink a*se fekk etc😂
Old 29th April 2019, 19:16   #58
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
The M/C does not "need an occasional topping-up".

Also, would you like to guess the location and type of the Insignia clutch master cylinder?
Maninder, by the nature of your post, same as the 75?
Old 29th April 2019, 19:18   #59
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Maninder, by the nature of your post, same as the 75?

Rich - very similar and body made of plastic. This is now quite a standard configuration.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2019, 22:07   #60
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I have a suspicion that sometime during the noughties, car manufacturers began to realise that (a) their cars were becoming too reliable, and (b) because even long-life parts were relatively easily serviced by many diy mechanics, they were not getting enough cars in their workshops for repairs and maintenance - often the part of dealerships that earns the most revenue. So they made their vehicles at the same time cheaper to manufacture, fitted more, more sensitive sensors to anything that could indicate, via warning light, the need for a dealer service ( you won't know what is wrong until you plug in THEIR diagnostic computer), and fitted more "no maintenance" parts, which, having reached around 100,000 miles, were relatively expensive (compared to the residual value of the car) to replace. Sadly, it seems MGR/BMW reached this cynical stage slightly earlier.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote