Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th April 2019, 18:30   #41
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I often use a cordless drill driver on low torque when I have multiple screws/bolts of the same size to undo/do up, but on tightening, the final turn is usually by hand. I don't know if my CDT has this problem, but it is indeed bad design practice to make a bolt longer than the hole it goes into. Perhaps tolerances on the bolt length compared to the brass collet are too close, less than half a mm difference the wrong way on each and you are in trouble.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2019, 01:40   #42
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I often use a cordless drill driver on low torque when I have multiple screws/bolts of the same size to undo/do up, but on tightening, the final turn is usually by hand. I don't know if my CDT has this problem, but it is indeed bad design practice to make a bolt longer than the hole it goes into. Perhaps tolerances on the bolt length compared to the brass collet are too close, less than half a mm difference the wrong way on each and you are in trouble.

Thanks Comfortably Numb,
I've always done the same as you, nip it up with a hand screw driver socket after the low torque time saving cordless drill.
Must just be bad luck with the minute tolerance Bad design. Because the metal sleeve is still intact inside the covers rubber grommet. Still as you say why would a bolt be longer than its restricted receptacle, all my bolts are the same size and have been confirmed by proper mechanical Doctors. Its Bonkers.

Hey on a lighter note, if your into Pink Floyd (comfortably Numb) take a look at these its my much younger Brother on the main Guitar Solo. I don't know the first thing about Music but I think its Comfortably Numb. My brother is on the left the solo Guitarist.

P.s it seems your Pms are full and some need deleting so cant send you a message
https://youtu.be/U7gp-oKelL8
https://youtu.be/zvYuUpYV2FI
Enjoy Paul

Last edited by crazy frog; 30th April 2019 at 03:44..
crazy frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2019, 22:57   #43
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thumbs up

Wow!! What a talent! Is he still gigging? He sure knows how to make that geeetaah sing!
Old 2nd May 2019, 00:13   #44
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Wow!! What a talent! Is he still gigging? He sure knows how to make that geeetaah sing!
Glad you liked it.
Just quickly to answer your question because I don't want this thread to go "off topic and be closed". So in future you can PM me if you want, about the music.

Because in a few weeks or a month I will pull my Ztt out again and fix the bolt oil leak problem.
My Ztt and I are both having a rest.

So I still want to be able to add to this "oil leak" thread later.

But hey ! yes he still Plays and Gigs now and then, even though he and his family moved to France over a year ago. He's been in all sorts of small bands and notable small music venues over the decades, all as a passionate hobby whilst holding down a regular job . And had a few Gigs with some French bands. One recent was the "Fat Boy Blues" who did a small bar Gig just for my brother near his French home town. Think he was on bass on that occasion.

Glad you liked it,
but can you imagine in the early days, decades ago . He got his first drum set when he was 6 then at 7 a £2.99 ish Christmas Guitar. All self learnt.He;s now got a collection of guitars that could buy a small terraced house.
My teenage years whilst still living at home were torturous. Dad insulated the garage for him to practice with old Tea chests (remember we used them for packing when moving house before cardboard boxes). Ha Ha.

However since then.
He's had me crying whilst playing the Deer Hunter on a non amplified Acoustic private occasion. Had me feeling like I was on drugs (while stone cold sober) with some of the old great guitar solos, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling stones,Pink Floyd, Beatles etc etc with the modern techniques, gizmos and twists.
Anyway must end despite many funny stories. Just don't want this thread closed because off topic.
So this is my last post on the music topic .
Please Mods don't close it.

Thanks Paul.

Last edited by crazy frog; 2nd May 2019 at 01:22..
Old 2nd May 2019, 13:48   #45
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post

The thought has crossed my mind however that my leak may have been present for years ?

Because it only became apparent while running the engine with the cover off and bolts out. On most previous occasions the engine had not been running when the cover was off, therefore not throwing oil out and giving no indication

That's like calling it a problem leak if you don't fit the sump plug. the solution is to have the engine properly assembled when running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
I've been driving around for the past six months with the engine cover off and no bolts in place without any issues.
The only reason for this is that one of the allen key bolts was rounded off and so tight that I couldn't get it out.
So drastic action was taken by snapping the engine cover in half so a set of mole grips was clamped onto the offending bolt and unscrewed.
I do have another cover now but I require three new bolts as the other two were well past it.
But haven't got around to getting them.
Will remember to use washers prior to fitment.

Your mention of allen key bolts makes me think that you had the wrong bolts in there already - can others confirm that they should be 8mm hex head?

Quote:

As already written several times in this thread. the bolt isn't any longer than it has to be. Who's to say that it's the current bolt in that position that caused the push through into the cam cover (or that the sleeve was in place at the time?

As already stated, poor attention to details and fitting bolts in the wrong locations - overtightening and inappropriate use of power tools can go a long way to causing damage on anything. A leak that shouldn't be there, but is, with the simple cure of assembling the engine properly isn't a problem at all - let alone a design fault. There are many other design 'problems' with the 75 but this isn't one of them.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:56   #46
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Avulon, Trikey's pics show the measured depth of the hole to be 14.07mm. In my book, that it is a dangerously poor tolerance to allow for something as crudely made as the nominally 14mm long bolts. I assert, the hole should be deeper, or the bolt shorter, there is no need for such critical tolerances on such a non-critical part. Just plain bad engineering practice.
Old 2nd May 2019, 20:01   #47
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

There is a metal spacer, around 4-5mm in height to prevent the bolt going anywhere near the bottom of the hole.

Correctly assembled there is nothing whatsoever wrong with this design. Once bits start going missing then there is a risk of damage if a spacer has been lost, or a bolt goes astray and the replacement is too long, and overtightened.

In my experience of engineering, which goes back over 40 years, designers tend not to worry about 'what if bits go missing' unless it is safety critical, and they don't always worry about it then either.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2019, 04:28   #48
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote Avalon=
That's like calling it a problem leak if you don't fit the sump plug. the solution is to have the engine properly assembled when running. Ill definitely put that piston back in I thought it sounded a bit wonky

Thanks Avulon that reminds me I must fix my interior map lights , the last thing I need now is a Gearbox leak

Quote Avalon=
As already written several times in this thread. yes your not the first to copy. the bolt isn't any longer than it has to be.yes it is even though they are all the same size tell that to BMWs original straight line engine and Land Rover Who's to say that it's the current bolt in that position that caused the push through into the cam cover I am and if you read the thread you would know(or that the sleeve was in place at the time?
again I am and if you looked at my pictures as well as reading it you will see it is in perfect condition and solid in placement.

P.s don't forget to put your pants on next time you go out. We don't want you getting locked up.
Old 3rd May 2019, 04:42   #49
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

p.s please leave it alone now it been done to death and 2000+ people have been made aware and a very few good people helped me to understand the problem ,so unless you have anything constructive and positive to add for the wider community . its time to find your next game .
Thankyou

Last edited by crazy frog; 3rd May 2019 at 04:46..