Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st May 2019, 13:15   #61
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Car last far longer than they did just 20-30 years ago.

I don't feel I can complain about parts such as clutch hydraulics lasting only 100k miles. This is longer than cars used to last!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2019, 19:31   #62
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm not complaining about parts lasting for 100,000 miles. (If they get there) I am complaining that the manufacturers have cynically (or carelessly) designed what has always been considered a long term service item, - into the car in such a way that many owners, getting the quote for replacement, and comparing it with the residual value of their car, will vote to scrap it, which would not have been the case if they had followed the previous, easy maintenance practice of mounting the hydraulic slave on the outside of the gearbox. And if you make the argument that you are very likely to have to change the thrust bearing anyway, before 100,000 miles, well perhaps they should consider that need when considering the installation of the gearbox. Like MB and Audi, who declared their autoboxes to be no maintenance, sealed for life, so no dipstick or filler plug. As most users would be past the 3 year warranty by 100,000 miles, they wouldn't be responsible anyway, so you don't/can't service it, then you have to scrap it and buy another. And of course, if the replacement parts don't last 1/10th of the mileage of the original, you are again likely to scrap it.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2019, 20:03   #63
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

we have had these discussions a couple of times before. I have had this exact problem with a LUK clutch in a jaguar S-type.
Dual mass clutches are not as reliable as normal clutches, and I would suggest replacing the clutch with a normal after market set up.
I, for one, will never buy a LUK dual mass clutch if there is a credible alternative, ever again in my life!.

And spare me the stories about broken cranks. Please.
Old 2nd May 2019, 20:12   #64
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The DMFs aren't the problem though - I've got one that has covered 397k miles and is still going strong. If only the hydraulics were anywhere near that reliable, but sadly they aren't.

When the slave cylinder fails and the friction plate (the bit that should wear out!) is as good as new, then it is pretty clear where the weak link is.

From new I had hydraulic failure at just over 80k miles - the majority of it on motorways. Never had any clutch problems at all with any of the other company cars I drove for over twenty years.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2019, 20:14   #65
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Just to balance the views a little, I (and based on previous posts many others) would suggest never to replace a DMF clutch with a normal non-DMF aftermarket one.

The DMF's are very, very reliable and very few have required replacement on 75/ZT cars even though many cars have covered 150k+ miles.

Whilst the DMF does introduce an additional component that can fail, one should always keep in mind the likely failures of other items in the drivetrain if the DMF is not there performing its intended function.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 18:55   #66
cat
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Update

Hi All,
An update for anyone that's interested.
I have a new clutch, replaced and fitted by the original fitters under the manufacturers warranty that I was told is 24,000 miles, not a lot of miles for a clutch but sure is a lot more than 4k.

I presume that the garage are some sort of authorised fitter of a respectable manufacturer and I'm guessing if I'd gone to a backstreet garage where perhaps a cheap as chips clutch would be fitted I'd be basically stuffed which was actually what I was expecting so I well pleased with the result.

Thanks for suggesting I contact the garage.

Still paranoid about the clutch whilst driving though, never had this with any other vehicle and I don't ride the clutch at all, always straight out of gear and handbrake on, I bet more than 9 out of 10 clutches on a 75/zt don't fail because of the plates anyway.

Cheers.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 20:41   #67
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Hi All,
An update for anyone that's interested.
I have a new clutch, replaced and fitted by the original fitters under the manufacturers warranty that I was told is 24,000 miles, not a lot of miles for a clutch but sure is a lot more than 4k.

I presume that the garage are some sort of authorised fitter of a respectable manufacturer and I'm guessing if I'd gone to a backstreet garage where perhaps a cheap as chips clutch would be fitted I'd be basically stuffed which was actually what I was expecting so I well pleased with the result.

Thanks for suggesting I contact the garage.

Still paranoid about the clutch whilst driving though, never had this with any other vehicle and I don't ride the clutch at all, always straight out of gear and handbrake on, I bet more than 9 out of 10 clutches on a 75/zt don't fail because of the plates anyway.

Cheers.
Now that is what I call a result, and goes to show that the garage cares about both customer satisfaction, and their reputation.

If it were a genuine Rover part fitted, it would have been covered by XPart warranty, which covers not only the components, but the labour charges for fitting at £30 per hour based upon book time allowances in the repair time searcher.

As it was Horner's that were the supplier and fitter in this case, it has every chance to have been a Rover branded clutch fitted, as they are an XPart dealer.

But thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 18:49   #68
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Nice to know you have an honest trader for whom reputation is more important than an immediate saving. And as deserved, you have praised their actions to a wider, appreciative audience. Good result.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 02:17   #69
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogweed View Post
The bearing in the metal slave failed on mine after less than 10,000 miles

Brian reckons some of them come out of the facory with no grease

If this is the case, than can the metal slave bearings not simply be filled with grease before fitting to the car?

Of coarse the answer will probably be that the bearings are not accessible to fill with grease
?

But if they can be greased , this seems to be the only issue regarding the metal slave .

Another option , maybe someone should have a wOrd with the person who makes the metal slave to make sure those bearings are greased up properly in the first place?

Would this not solve our slave cylinder disappointments?
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 08:09   #70
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
If this is the case, than can the metal slave bearings not simply be filled with grease before fitting to the car?

Of coarse the answer will probably be that the bearings are not accessible to fill with grease
?

But if they can be greased , this seems to be the only issue regarding the metal slave .

Another option , maybe someone should have a wOrd with the person who makes the metal slave to make sure those bearings are greased up properly in the first place?

Would this not solve our slave cylinder disappointments?
I pulled a defective metal slave a couple of weeks back where the seals had failed.

I won't use them, they are not a good as the hype would suggest

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote