Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th May 2019, 17:54   #1
Dantheman
Avid contributor

rover75 2003 2.5V6 Connoisseur Auto

Default And today's new word to add to my vocabulary is:

F E R R U L E

Rodney needed his MOT today - and he failed on what was listed as a "Dangerous Fault - Do not drive until repaired"

Nearside and Offside Front Upper Brake Hose Ferrule - excessively corroded and likely to fail.

I had no idea what the word "Ferrule" was until today.

Thank goodness, not an expensive repair. Had them throw on some new wiper blades as well - and Rodney is ready to roll for another year.

I did find out something interesting - I did have 1 light out on the rear registration - and was expecting a fail because of this (it had failed several years ago and I had to fool around with the bulb fixings to get it to work).

As it happens - this is now listed as a "minor defect" and is not an MOT failure - as long as 1 of 2 bulbs is working, it's a pass, but with the heading "Repair as soon as possible".

The only thing now to do is put in some Air Con coolant - did this 2 summers ago, but it's not all that cold now. There may be a leak in the condensor, but for £50, I'll get the guy to come to my home and give it a top up and hope its good for the summer.

Rodney is no longer my every day car - I don't really put much mileage on these days. It's my guilty pleasure, as long as he does not cost me much in repairs - a small fortune in car tax at £330 a year - but as I said - it's my guilty pleasure driving a great nearly 16 year old car that can still move very fast !

Last edited by Dantheman; 13th May 2019 at 17:57..
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 18:39   #2
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

My brother does air-con regassing and he put a leak sealant in mine as it lost pressure over a year. Ask your guy to do the same, it's not expensive and will save having to top up the gas every year.

And my guilty pleasure road tax is now £555 per year and I only do <2,000 a year.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 18:46   #3
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

i thought it was a wild cat ?rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 23:20   #4
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Many years ago, my son's Corsa failed its MoT on a badly corroded brake hose ferrule - I had wire brushed both ferrules before the test to ascertain the extent of said rust. We argued about it, but as he would not pass the vehicle without changing the pipe, I reluctantly let him change it. After picking up the car, a loud graunching sound could be hear from the same wheel area on sharp turns. The cause was the new, braided hose, incorrectly fitted, rubbing on the inner wheel rim. I took the car straight back, and made him rectify the mistake. Then, to prove my point that the rusty ferrule still had much thicker metal than any brake pipe, I got him to saw through the old ferrule. A minimum of 3mm of solid steel around the conduit. Point proved, I took pleasure in telling him I would not be using his services again. Others must have been equally dissatisfied, as they went out of business a couple of years later.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 09:31   #5
Dantheman
Avid contributor

I have no doubt many repairs, especially for MOT are not really needed.

I simply have to go on the word of a mechanic who I have used for many years on 3 of our cars, the youngest of which is now 12 years old.

If after 16 years, in his opinion, the part needed changing, I don't really have an issue.

Appreciate the advice about leak sealant for the air con - I will ask my guy.
Old 14th May 2019, 15:37   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

IMO, the brake pipes/hoses connections don't use ferrules, which are slip on collars used in compression joints. And if they did, you wouldn't be able to see it. It sounds to me like the nut holding the steel pipe to the flexible hose.

Which part will be replaced? Presumably the steel pipe and perhaps the flexy as well.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 16:43   #7
Dantheman
Avid contributor

You are correct - steel pipe and flexy. My guess is that it's been rusty for some time - under £100 for the parts and labour - for peace of mind, and of course to pass MOT, worth doing.
Old 14th May 2019, 17:36   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The steel pipes to the front brakes are the most vulnerable item in the whole car. The OEM pipes are pretty poor quality anyway, but in that location they're doomed.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote