Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th September 2013, 14:38   #101
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

Very well done on the MOT, Jim! I'd have been shocked if it had been anything else!
Glad that your V6 is back on the road, but I entirely agree that the tax is extortionate if the car is only an occasional use classic.
I cannot justify it myself when I'm not working full-time over the summer, which is why I'm clearing out most of my fleet, and going back to the 75, and 2000 until next summer.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 18:29   #102
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I carried out the final part of my extensive service schedule today, i.e. a dampness test.

Using my caravan damp test meter I carried out checks on both cars taking readings on two places in each foot well plus another two readings from the boot spare wheel well.

Results were zero reading from both cars rear foot wells and passengers side front and a reading of 10% & 11% respectively from the drivers side from the diesel and V6.

The V6 boot showed zero and the diesel gave a reading of 13% but when I tested a separate piece of the underlay (green foam carpet underlay) I have used in the boot I also got the same 13%.

So I'm satisfied that both cars are dry for the time being as even a 10 % reading does not give cause for concern.

I have noted my readings on a service sheet for future reference.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:01   #103
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Last week I gave both cars a good polish in readiness for the winter. Took me the whole day and boy were my old bones feeling the worse off next day. I was so knackered I forgot to take a photo.

Just renewed the insurance on the diesel and existing company quoted £318 so I thought it was time to move on and did a search via the "Meerkats."

Cover renewed for £111 and the V6 is also due next month and I will most probably do the same.

The money I've saved should cover the V6 so watch this space.

At the end of the day if I do have an accident the car would most likely be written off anyway so why pay through the nose, motoring is costly enough as it is.
Old 12th November 2013, 23:19   #104
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Update

Insurance came in for the V6 at £324 so time for a change for a cheaper quote.

Went back on line to the meercats and got one from the same company as the diesel for £144 but when I went to pay it I had to telephone the company (again) It then mysteriously rose to £160 odds and when I queried this the lady went through it again and rose to £192.

I was about to tell them to shove it but they then reduced it back to £149. Should really have been the original £144 but I was out of the site by now and couldn't remember the exact figure.

I've filled out their survey form informing them of my dis-pleasure of varying rates and having to call the company by telephone after spending so much time filling in on line.

Anyway both cars are now covered for less then the price of any one of them at renewal quotes.

As I was getting hot under the collar the diesel as usual with the colder weather the heater was not up to the missus's standards as temp gauge barely gets up to the middle so I've done the same as last winter and fitted a temporary blind behind both upper and lower grilles.

Works a treat with temp gauge now up nearer the normal and a much better heater.

I had to do exactly the same with my Vectra Sri every winter to get a decent heater.
Old 6th March 2014, 23:21   #105
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Wow ! I haven't updated this post for months now and a good job I decided to look through it first.
I've just noticed the MOT is due soon on the V6 so I better get her checked out.

Meantime the diesel has given the usual diesel problem i.e. the in tank pump failed. Luck it happened in the village so the missus didn't have to walk far, (see my "Lucky White Heather" post)
Soon after that the under bonnet pump started to grumble but so far it has not let me down so I will hold on as long as I can.
I also had to renew the back box as the one I transferred from the V6 when it got the duplex stainless system failed completely. Other than that the diesels still going fine.

With the V6 I managed to acquire a second hand manifold and some other bits courtesy of Walter 825 coupe. The engine cover I got has now been colour matched along with the auxiliary belt cover. You may recall my original cover got a bit chewed by mice. These little blighters must like the foam insulation.

I was helping Walter a bit with a couple of things he is doing to his car and I must say it was a real learning curve stripping some of the bits out of the scrapper he has.
I stripped down the VIS motors from the inlet manifold I got a managed to find a fault in one namely dry soldered joints on the micro switches. Both motors had very little signs of oil ingress and the top one which controls the 6 butterflies tested OK although the side one I could not see it working when the engine was revved.
The test was done by simply unplugging my originals and plugging the harness into the second pair.
They have both been fitted to the car and I have noticed quite a difference in performance and economy.

Also when I carried out the same test with my original ones there was no movement in them.

I managed out to the Scottish meet at The Riverside Museum on Clydeside Glasgow, but it did turn out to be quite a miserable day so didn't get to chat too much.
One other "Mod" I now have to do is change the harmony stereo to a symphony unit.
Old 30th March 2014, 19:41   #106
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted

This is a sad story.

The missus & I had a wee night out last night, it was the seniors party and I now qualify so the missus agreed to do the driving as I don't get out much.
We had a lovely night and when we returned home to the driveway I said to the missus to swing wide on entry as earlier on the day I had uplifted the caravan from winter storage in order to get it serviced etc.

OOps! she said as I heard an ominous scraping sound on the off side.
Yes ! she had cut the entrance to the driveway in her attempt to keep well clear of the caravan and caught the low wall with the sill of the car.

It's in a bit of a mess with an area of about 2 feet badly scraped and dented.

It's been a bad day for me with being late in last night (around midnight) then losing an hour in bed and having to get back up at 4am in order to see our young son & partner and the wee one off to the airport for their holiday. The missus drove of course but later this afternoon I knocked the remainder of the wall down to ground level and painted over the scores in the sill just to protect it temporarily from rust.
I'm afraid it will just have to be filled up with filler as trying to remove dents in sills is extremely difficult.
Meantime my "paint over" repair looks pretty good as you can barely notice it from a distance of about half a mile

I don't know whether to laugh or cry but it could well have been worse if she had hit the caravan or if we had decided to go out in my V6
Old 30th March 2014, 19:58   #107
Brabus
This is my second home

01 75 tourer cdt,1973 Rover 3500S,,1974 Rover 3500 Auto,1998 216 SE Coupe, 1968 Morris Minor 1000

Nightmare Jim. Hope you get it sorted soon. Things happen, keep you busy.
121st 75 Tourer to be made
15th 75 Tourer CDT Club SE to be made
36th 75 Tourer in Zircon Silver Metallic to be made

Membership No 903

I was one of the 541
Brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 20:04   #108
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

It was priceless last night, but at least I've got something on the missus at last.
I think she will have to do some serious Oh! No I can't say that on the forum.
Well I think you know what I mean.

Oh Mary dear can you bring me a nice cup of coffee through !
Old 26th April 2014, 21:18   #109
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I finally managed to replace the Harmony with the Symphony unit in my V6 and what a difference in sound.
I cant believe we didn't do this with our diesel during the 12 years of ownership. Reason I fitted to the V6 was because the diesel has a modified plate on the harmony to hold my sat nav and this is the car we use for towing.

Speaking of the diesel I had noticed it was very flat in acceleration when towing the caravan on our first outing this year, even when solo it had just lost it's punch so a new Bosch MAF was ordered.

It took a couple of weeks to arrive but this morning I fitted it and Oh My! what a difference. The car is back on form again.

Meantime this is rather odd but my under bonnet pump which was very noisy just after I had replaced my in tank pump is now working silently again. Perhaps it's the fuel additive (Millers) I've been using.

I don't use it on every fill up but just occasionally just to keep the injectors etc clean.
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:37   #110
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Update

It's been a busy summer this year as we've been away with the caravan a lot. During one of these trips we had a nasty sway and since then the missus has been looking at replacing the diesel which is he car.

Meantime during re construction of our drive way to make better space when the caravan is at home I had to sit the diesel out on the street for a couple of nights. ( well I wasn't going to sit my V6 out in the street !! )

Unfortunately my new neighbour misjudged his width and hit the missus's car putting a small dent on the rear wing and fuel filler flap. I've managed to get the rear bumper back into place and am waiting on a friend of my son to tidy the paintwork up.

MOT is due next week so right on cue yesterday the airbag warning light came on.
OK it may just be a corroded sensor, but I seem to remember when my V6 was due its' MOT just a week before the ABS light came on resulting in a new sensor being required.

Just my luck I suppose but anyway I think this may well be the last year we will have the diesel if the missus gets her way it will be either be a Mercedes or an Audi in its place as tow car so when the time comes it will be a good car for someone and you guys will be the first to know.

Alternative is to swop to the V6 for towing and get e new smaller car but with the V6 being rather thirsty and it is 12 years old I would rather replace the tow car with a newer car. Only thing my choice was an XF but the missus is not so keen.