Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th December 2018, 15:47   #1
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts
Default BT problem.

Some months ago i had trouble with low speed internet speed. Advised by BT to upgrade to fibre,where i would get up to 50mp. During the summer it has been working great, BUT now that the wet weather is back my speed is below 5mp.
Engineer called today and said fault was with the copper wire from junction box 500mts away,as fibre only goes to junction box. Can't fault engineer he was very thorough checking from street boxes all the way back to junction box.
I was not present when he left,but had an e-mail saying problem fixed.Checked my speed,still below 5mp.
As the problem is with outside wiring,would there be any point in me changing supplier,or would it be better if i moved house.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 18:30   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Some months ago i had trouble with low speed internet speed. Advised by BT to upgrade to fibre,where i would get up to 50mp. During the summer it has been working great, BUT now that the wet weather is back my speed is below 5mp.
Engineer called today and said fault was with the copper wire from junction box 500mts away,as fibre only goes to junction box. Can't fault engineer he was very thorough checking from street boxes all the way back to junction box.
I was not present when he left,but had an e-mail saying problem fixed.Checked my speed,still below 5mp.
As the problem is with outside wiring,would there be any point in me changing supplier,or would it be better if i moved house.
We had exactly this!

I changed supplier and was told I could not have their version of the fibre optic contract because there was not a fibre optic cable anywhere near our house!!

Not only that but the new provider can force BT to clean up the line as they obviously done want to take on a problem line.

My new provider provided me with a report on the appalling service and mis-selling by BT of fibre - and I was able to make a complaint that was upheld and I received nearly £700 back.

As a consequence I NEVER recommend BT.

The engineers are great - after all it was Openreach that were “employed” by my new provider to sort out the mess.

But the sales department and overall corporate honesty of BT is shockingly low to nonexistent.

I recommend switching.

We went with Utility Warehouse and so far they have been very good.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 19:12   #3
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Thanks for reply, i have only just renewed my contract with bt football so may not be able to cancel my contract. Do you think i would have a case for cancelling contract as they are not supplying what i am paying for. Anyone else please be free to offer advice.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 20:44   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Thanks for reply, i have only just renewed my contract with bt football so may not be able to cancel my contract. Do you think i would have a case for cancelling contract as they are not supplying what i am paying for. Anyone else please be free to offer advice.
I dont know the full circumstances, but relaying a story my ex bt engineer father told me (this was pre home hubs never mind fibre lol). I know fibre is not affected the way copper is. But have you a cordless phone near to the router, or anything cordless near it? He was at a house in the early days of broadband. The owner had just changed from ISDN to broadband, but like you the speeds were either slow or stop. Turned out to be the cordless phone sitting against the router! He was very thorough too, even going as far to rewire from the socket to entry in the house. Unplugging the phone normally showed issues, but becuse he didnt switch off its power, it was still emitting something.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 21:40   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Go back to Openreach, it is not BT
Tell them the problem still exists
Alas their call centre staff are not up to much, I'm ex Openreach and had the devils own job convincing them our hub was duff.

Any way you could try an email to the CEO
[email protected]

Changing BB provider may not help as you may still be fed via Openreach's network

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 07:46   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

My advice would be to keep it simple.

Remove all extensions etc. from your master socket and connect the hub directly to the master socket.

Power down and up the hub, leave it working for a couple of hours.

Then call BT - the normal Consumer desk and not Openreach. They will do remote tests and book another engineer visit if necessary.

Networks are now extremely complex and sometimes problems are fixed and then return. It's a bit like diagnosing fueling issues on a modern diesel.

IMO going to the CEO is way OTT - people need to relax a bit and work with other people who are usually doing their best to hep you.

If you wish to bypass the BT network altogether, the only option really is Virgin fibre or one of the coax networks if they are available in your area.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 09:56   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

Remove all extensions etc. from your master socket and connect the hub directly to the master socket.

Then call BT - the normal Consumer desk and not Openreach. They will do remote tests and book another engineer visit if necessary.

Networks are now extremely complex and sometimes problems are fixed and then return. It's a bit like diagnosing fueling issues on a modern diesel.

IMO going to the CEO is way OTT - people need to relax a bit and work with other people who are usually doing their best to hep you.

If you wish to bypass the BT network altogether, the only option really is Virgin fibre or one of the coax networks if they are available in your area.
The network belongs to Openreach and is "separate" from BT. Look at the vans that you see at the side of the road dealing with their plant, they are Openreach and so are the vans that come to your business and home to deal with fibre and copper issues, unless contractors are being used.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 10:09   #8
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Those are bad internet speeds for this day and age saying almost everything is done online.
No Virgin media there?
I have their basic broadband package and consistently get over 100Mbps.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 10:12   #9
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

Going to the CEO is definitely not over the top. They need to be held to account for failures in their services. Its always my first port of call and believe me it always gets results and fast. Don't hesitate to do it.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 10:32   #10
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I completely agree with the CEO route. Years ago we had phone and broadband through virgin, but on the BT network, it was fine at 1st, but after a couple of months the speed dropped to less than 1mbps (often as low as 0.1mbps) and would often drop out completely for hours. Each time we phoned the help desk they'd get us to do the same checks again and again, then ask us to leave it for a few hours and if it hadn't got better call back and explain and they'd see what else they could do. Every time it didn't get any better and when we called back and explained, they insisted we went through the same tests as we'd already done, again and again and again.

This went on for a few weeks, and in the end I got home from a nightshift and had something online I needed to pay, and the internet was again ridiculously slow, then non-existent! I had Just enough of a mobile signal to send off an email to the CEO of virgin media, and within hours I had a call from 1 of his secretaries, refunded the money from the last 2 months, and an engineer came out the next day to have a look. Unfortunately they couldn't seem to find the issue, and so they gave us some compensation and let us end the contract before it was up without any further payment. We moved out within a few weeks so don't know if it ever got sorted.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote