Notices

Old 5th December 2018, 09:52   #11
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Those are bad internet speeds for this day and age saying almost everything is done online.
No Virgin media there?
I have their basic broadband package and consistently get over 100Mbps

As you know Ian, we moved house on 22 November. I did not get connected to BT until 26 November and no time to switch providers, as I flew out to Kenya on 3 December. I complained to BT about their charges as they wanted £70 per month for unlimited superfibre and weekend + evening calls. After my complaint, they patched me through to another department and then it was dropped to £29 per month. They said the speed will go up and down in the first 10 days. The wall socket says it’s Open Reach, which I thought looked ugly and chunky. The speed was miserably slow.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 5th December 2018 at 09:56..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 10:01   #12
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
As you know Ian, we moved house on 22 November. I did not get connected to BT until 26 November and no time to switch providers, as I flew out to Kenya on 3 December. I complained to BT about their charges as they wanted £70 per month for unlimited superfibre and weekend + evening calls. After my complaint, they patched me through to another department and then it was dropped to £29 per month. They said the speed will go up and down in the first 10 days. The wall socket says it’s Open Reach, which I thought looked ugly and chunky. The speed was miserably slow.

Morning Phil, Dear me! those speeds are no better if not worse than the old dial up days.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 12:30   #13
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Morning Phil, Dear me! those speeds are no better if not worse than the old dial up days.
There is also a Virgin box (also chunky) on the wall, inactive. If BT does not improve, I could make the switch to Virgin when I return in 6 months.....

Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 13:09   #14
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Virgin isn't always the answer - we have it at home (full fibre optic cable to the house) and it was brilliant 5 years ago with 150mps+ pretty much all the time but now it's very hit and miss despite being checked by a Virgin Engineer. It occasionally gets to over 100mps but is more usually around 50 and the hub struggles with more than 3 users. The 'solution' apparently is to turn the hub off overnight but to my mind that's not a solution it's a a bodge.

On the other hand at work I have BT broadband which arrives by a copper cable from a nearby telephone pylon - 40mps pretty much all the time, admittedly it is only me using it but even so.

It depends a LOT on where you are and how many other people are connected I suspect - which is probably why my home Virgin service has suffered over the years.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 14:29   #15
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Just checked my speed,3.5mps. When i first had trouble with my broadband i was asked to upgrade my router,after a while had same problem.So then upgraded to fibre as suggested by bt. Now i find out that the problem is with the copper wire from junction box to the house,as fibre only goes to junction box.
I may not be well informed about the technicalities of broadband but i should imagine that the fibre was already in junction box and all they have done is connect my copper wire.
So they have charged me twice to upgrade,but i am still using the faulty copper wire.
Bit of a rant i know,but to add, we have just had what the yanks call an outage with our electricity for 2 hrs and i missed bargain hunt.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 14:53   #16
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Bit of a rant i know,but to add, we have just had what the yanks call an outage with our electricity for 2 hrs and i missed bargain hunt.

At least you're back in time for Antiques Road Trip
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 15:54   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
The network belongs to Openreach and is "separate" from BT. Look at the vans that you see at the side of the road dealing with their plant, they are Openreach and so are the vans that come to your business and home to deal with fibre and copper issues, unless contractors are being used.

macafee2

I am aware that Openreach owns the network and it is operationally separate from the rest of BT. But, end customers do not have a relationship with Openreach, only with the service provider arms of BT or another service provider that uses the Openreach network e.g. TalkTalk. If an end customer tries to go directly to Openreach, they may be redirected to the service provider, where they should have gone in the first place, or if OR do entertain the call and take some action your Service Provider's systems (i.e. BT Consumer's or TalkTalk's etc.) may get out of alignment in terms of the data relating to your issue, progress towards resolution etc. on their agent/customer facing systems.

As for going to the CEO after just one engineer visit, personally I don't think it would ever be justified. All it achieves overall is an increase in the cost of serving customers and ultimately higher prices for us as customers.

The principle that I always follow is to de-escalate and aim to achieve resolution at the lowest possible level in any organisation. Unfortunately, the world is full of people who think they must have the answer now and who rant when they do not get what they want straight away. Ask anyone running a service business such as a lawnmower repair shop and you will see what I mean. So it really depends on what sort of person each one of us wants to be. Personally, I would like those individuals attempting to provide a service to me to be happy bunnies and to go home feeling that they have dealt with a nice person. I never fail to get what I want!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 16:10   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
I may not be well informed about the technicalities of broadband but i should imagine that the fibre was already in junction box and all they have done is connect my copper wire.
So they have charged me twice to upgrade,but i am still using the faulty copper wire.

This not questioning what you are saying - I am just trying to understand and help, so please bear with me.

The current problem is not necessairily the same as your original problem. Unfortunately, dry joints and moisture relted problems with copper calbes are not predictable so one such problem could occur after another.

Being upgraded to fiber is not simply a case of connecting your telephone line to a fibre at the cabinet. There is a lot of very complex work that needs to take place in the background.

My personal recommendation (as previously) is to call up the BT service desk and if the next visit does not resolve the problem then raise a complain with BT (Consumer).
Old 5th December 2018, 17:16   #19
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Think yourselves lucky you don’t live in rural Norfolk.

Old 5th December 2018, 17:29   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Think yourselves lucky you don’t live in rural Norfolk.

I think myself lucky for not living anywhere in Norfolk!