Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2007, 20:03   #1
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Default Continental Tour

Hi Folks

I have just returned from a continental trip, in which I completed around 3500 miles to France, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy in my 2.5 Club. Car went very, very, well. Trip included 4 Alpine passes, with the Furka pass the highest at 2431 metres, (around 7500 feet). This pass is where the Rhone Glacier can be seen, now much reduced in extent, although it's not 'Global Warming' as it's been shrinking since 1800, when it was about twice the size. Other passes I drove over were the Gotthard, the Bernina, and another one in Italy which I can't remember.

Italian motorways were a bit fraught, as there are a lot of roadworks going on to widen them out to three lanes. Yes, there are a lot of 2-lane motorways in Europe, and in Italy in particular, they are now totally inadequate for the traffic. Italian motorists are also completely brainless; I wondered how there could possibly be any Italian men left alive, watching their stupid antics. Germans travel at pretty high speed, but mostly OK. French drivers were the best, funnily enough !!

One word of advice is to avoid the motorway ringroad around Milan on a Friday afternoon !!

I saw a few foreign-registered 75s, all in very good nick. In Europe they seem to be regarded as a very up-market car sitting alongside the usual German saloons in status.

Anybody considering driving to Rome needs to remember a permit is now required to enter the old part of the city between 0630 to 0730 and also from 2330 to 0400. Obtaining the permit takes some time unless you are in a hotel, who seem to be able to square it with the authorities. Just like London with the Congestion Charge, a fine can be issued or the car towed away. As I was staying in a relative's flat in the old part, I therefore needed to park in a private garage. If you think Heathrow Airport is expensive, think again. I had to pay Eur 40 a night !! Mind you it was manned 24 hours a day, and there was a large Alsation dog present to 'discourage' thieves.

All in all a most enjoyable holiday, but with the only serious sunshine in Italy unfortunately. Even Switzerland was overcast with monsoon-like rain on the first day I arrived in Lucerne. We travelled on two of the Swiss narrow-gauge rack-railways, the Brunig Pass line, and the Rigi Bahn to the top of the Rigi. And also a trip on the steam paddle steamers of Lake Lucerne; Wonderful !
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 06:04   #2
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

We did the same journey about three years ago in a 3.2 Omega. Instead of going into Italy though we turned left and ended up in Austria. Great holiday and very nice people to meet on the way. We did it in two weeks but a month would have been better. We did Italy the year before but did not drive, the main motorway from Switzerland down to Rome was a nightmare but we were in a coach so not our worry!

We love Germany and Austria really nice people and wonderful scenery :lol:

I really struggled with driving on the 'wrong' side though, I hate it and will never do it again.

Glad you had a nice holiday Fraser :lol:

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 07:02   #3
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Sounds like you had a great time and glad the car behaved itself

I wanted to do a driving holiday a few years back when I had the Triumph Vitesse Convertible, I just loved the idea of driving around the south of france with the roof down, but I never really found the time
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 07:12   #4
Volzhskyboy
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTi

I spent 18 months recently working in the south of Italy and can vouch for your comments on their driving, simply atrocious and you were guaranteed to see an accident every day. I've never had a problem driving on the 'other-side' of the road whether in a left or right hand drive motor, must be all the practise I get!
Volzhskyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 07:23   #5
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volzhskyboy View Post
I've never had a problem driving on the 'other-side' of the road whether in a left or right hand drive motor, must be all the practise I get!
No I don't have a problem really its just that I hate doing it and struggled when turning right :lol:

My brain would not let me know which lane to go into when entering a dual carriageway with two lanes.......it was all backwards :lol: I put it down to being left handed but thats my excuse
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 07:29   #6
Volzhskyboy
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
I put it down to being left handed but thats my excuse

That goes for me too!

Last edited by GreyGhost; 18th July 2007 at 08:07.. Reason: Fixed quote
Volzhskyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 18:24   #7
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Thanks for all your comments, folks.

I did not find it all that difficult driving on the 'wrong' side. It's easier, I think, with my automatic car, as one can concentrate on the driving and let the car choose its own gear !!

Funnily enough, although the Italian drivers seem so bad, I did not actually see any accidents there. It was on a German autobahn that we came across an accident due to a truck & trailer shedding a tyre tread. A Merc had gone into it and had been hit up the rear by a following car. This was a two-lane autobahn, so I suppose there was nowhere to go when presented with this large object in the outside lane.

I recommend Switzerland, as the drivers all seem reasonably careful, and the roads are not too crowded, but avoid the Gotthard Pass motorway & tunnel as it is chock full of trucks. The old road is best.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote