Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th March 2021, 10:17   #1
PaulE
Regular poster

MG ZT 135+ (04), MG ZT-T (06), Rover 75 (01)

Default MG ZT 2004 Facelift Diesel not starting. Help Please!

Hi Everyone.

It's been a little while since I've been on here as our MG ZT and Rover 75 fleet have been almost bullet proof! However, we have run into a problem and I'd like to try everything before giving up on the car...

I've tried to lay out the information in an honest way. I have had some experience with the diesels, but this has me a little perplexed..

Current situation:

Car does crank, but does not start.
It doesn't sound as if fuel is getting in. I say this because there is a clean cranking sound but no attempts or struggles to fire.

The checklist on the forum:

The plenum area around the ECU was part filled with water to below ECU (slapped wrists). That has been cleared. ECU was dry, but I left the ECU in the air for a week. But everything else in the car appeared Fine prior to this and no change now.

Checked fuses.

TOAF can connect to ECU and car.

TOAF reported immobiliser error on clearing the codes, but the glow light alert comes on and the engine tries to crank. I have removed the chip from the key and of course it doesnt even try to crank. returning the chip returns expected functionality, with the exception of starting.

I have removed and fully charged the battery. No difference.

I have checked the pump in the boot. I can hear it running - it was replaced about 4 years ago.

I can hear a clean pump sound near the high pressure pump area. This was also replaced about 4 years ago

The car does not start on Easy Start. It sometimes catches but does not idle (as in, it stalls)...

Serious Injector Leakback - I have tested for leakback with a proper set I have. No leakback on any injector noted.

Not done:

Fuel Pressure Sensor - Replace
Cam and Crank sensor -

Not yet changed this - is there any likelyhood this would cause the symptoms described above? I have a donor car that works perfectly.

Also not checked:

Serious High Pressure Control Valve Regulator Seal -

ECU / ECU Capacitors - Replacement ECU and a session on T4.

History that got us here:

Car drove erratically. MAF sensor and MAF sensor connector failure. Removed connector and seemed to resolve whilst waiting for a new sensor and connector.

Not starting in cold weather. Noted glow plug error. But then non starting occurred when warm. A few turns of the keys resolved. This no longer helps and no attempt to fire during cranking.

Other notes: Fuel tank is full and we don't drop it below half on any of our diesels.

So what should I do next?

Thanks,

Paul.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote