Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th April 2021, 11:18   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default EWS no communication

Went to visit a local owner today whose 1.8T cranks, tries to fire with start gas but that’s as far as it goes. He’s checked the filter and borrowed a fuel pressure gauge from me but as it’s a 1.8T it has no Schrader valve so he was unable to check the pressure.

I visited with Toaf, no engine disabled, but the only module I can’t communicate with is the EWS. He’s going to check the EWS plug and module. Says he has a spark. The only fault code is P1520 which apparently every 1.8T has.

I’ve used Toaf to read the EWS on the V6s, but have seen very few 1.8s. Does this lack of communication point to an EWS fault or does the fact that it cranks and tries to fire mean the EWS is OK?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 13:19   #2
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Have this problem a lot with cars that have had various things plugged into the diagnostic port

A lot of non standard stuff spreads the contacts, I use a 2mm screwdriver that I keep with my T4. Unclip the socket from the bracket so you can see the contacts and ease the contacts so that they're all visible in the oblong slots where the pins go.

Hopefully that should do the trick

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2021, 14:01   #3
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Many thanks for the reply, will tell the owner to have a look but oddly the EWS was the only module I was unable to read - I had a brief look around the IPK, BCU, and engine yet couldn't get into the EWS which presumably is on the same pin as the IPK?

Regards
Old 14th April 2021, 11:29   #4
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

As Toaf wouldn’t connect to the EWS module but all others we thought it a bit suspicious so the next day the owner removed it and opened it up. It wasn’t pretty, the plug going into it was severely corroded, even worse one of the ten pins on the module isn’t there anymore, the rest seemed to clean up with anti-oxidant. He found a used EWS from a BMW and attempted to solder a new pin in there but says he has only made matters worse. What are his options?

I’ve got Toaf but can’t connect to the module. I have a sometimes working T4 (usually not), and hope in a few days to get an AK90. Can I read the EWS with the AK90 and transfer the programming to another EWS?

The poor owner bought the car in its present state and has despite lots of work, never seen it running …

Regards

Old 14th April 2021, 21:31   #5
BigRuss
Premium Trader

I've not used the AK90 but it probably works the same as the equipment I use, you should be able to read and transfer the damaged EWS to a replacement

You'll have to solder a wire to the connector and to the corresponding wire that's corroded and link it into the connector from the AK90 as it's the K-bus pin that's missing.

If it still won't read you can swap the main chip over to a replacement but it takes some doing

I have done that in the past then read it and transferred it to yet another EWS for reliability.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 14th April 2021 at 22:37..
Old 14th April 2021, 22:32   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Many thanks for your answer. I got the bit about soldering a wire to the damaged pin, and it being the K-bus pin. Sorry, but “you’ll have to solder a wire to the connector” ? Perhaps when I get the AK90 it’ll make a bit more sense to me (coming from China).

The owner says he might have damaged the unit even more, but I haven’t seen it so don’t really know - but if he has it might be useful to know where the main chip is so we have a Plan B incase it’s needed. We used to have a main Ericsson factory in town so there are people with advanced soldering skills.

I’m sure the owner appreciates your help, I certainly do

Keep well
Old 14th April 2021, 22:47   #7
BigRuss
Premium Trader

The Chip you want is the big one, it's about 17mm square has 13 pins each side, the pins wrap under the chip so you need plenty of heat and take your time so as to not strip the solder pads from the board, a hot air rework station is ideal for doing this

The AK90 probably has a connector for the EWS you'll have to make contact with the corresponding contact to the one thats missing in the EWS with the wire that's soldered to the pin that's broken or it's joint with the circuit board.

With luck you should be able to sort it out one way or the other

Russ

Replacement Key Service
P.M. for details.

Last edited by BigRuss; 15th April 2021 at 07:25.. Reason: added info
Old 15th April 2021, 00:37   #8
VikingMG
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T, R75 1.8T Tourer,R75 2,5 V6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
As Toaf wouldn’t connect to the EWS module but all others we thought it a bit suspicious so the next day the owner removed it and opened it up. It wasn’t pretty, the plug going into it was severely corroded, even worse one of the ten pins on the module isn’t there anymore, the rest seemed to clean up with anti-oxidant. He found a used EWS from a BMW and attempted to solder a new pin in there but says he has only made matters worse. What are his options?

I’ve got Toaf but can’t connect to the module. I have a sometimes working T4 (usually not), and hope in a few days to get an AK90. Can I read the EWS with the AK90 and transfer the programming to another EWS?

The poor owner bought the car in its present state and has despite lots of work, never seen it running …

Regards

Don`t hold your breath waiting for the AK...
You need the other Item I showed you to write on the EWS....

Last edited by VikingMG; 15th April 2021 at 00:40..
VikingMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2021, 07:26   #9
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
The Chip you want is the big one, it's about 17mm square has about 8 pins each side, the pins wrap under the chip so you need plenty of heat and take your time so as to not strip the solder pads from the board, a hot air rework station is ideal for doing this

The AK90 probably has a connector for the EWS you'll have to make contact with the corresponding contact to the one thats missing in the EWS with the wire that's soldered to the pin that's broken or it's joint with the circuit board.

Russ
The AK90 has a socket that you push directly onto the main chip. You have the fun of having to scrape all the lacquer off the pins first

Reading over K line is much easier, but the AK90 should be able to dump it.

One of my mates bought an AK90 for doing an E46 key, it read it, but wouldn't write and wouldn't write a transponder. He ended up bringing the EWS to me to do it properly
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2021, 08:08   #10
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
The Chip you want is the big one, it's about 17mm square has 13 pins each side, the pins wrap under the chip so you need plenty of heat and take your time so as to not strip the solder pads from the board, a hot air rework station is ideal for doing this

Russ
I've provided the owner with a link to this thread so hopefully he'll see it and feel encouraged.

Keep well