Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th April 2021, 07:31   #1
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Default Oil Temperature - surprise

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, it's not technical help I need ( for once! ) it's just an observation I made yesterday evening that surprised me.

I've been used to petrol vehicle's as my own personal forms of transport since I started driving. I do my own simple service work, so oil and filter changes are nothing new to me.

I'm used to the good old "K" series engine, I know some people aren't a fan, but I can give several reasons why I like it, and apart from the obvious cries of "HGF" I really do think it was very ahead of it's time.

I digress.

I always make sure the vehicle in question for an oil change is up to operating temperature before I drain out the old oil.
I'm used to scalding hot oil being ejected from the "K" series.
I have a classic Mini, when it's oil change time, the same scalding hot oil comes out. So, my surprise yesterday evening after a 20 mile drive from work, some of it at 70mph, when I opened the sump bung to drain off, that the oil was merely hot, not scalding.

I know diesel engine's don't produce as much heat as petrol. I do have on my wish list a FBH that I might one day buy and have installed.
But I was still very surprised as to in comparison how "cool" the old oil was.

Like I say, just an observation really.
Another note is how much smoother the engine is with some new "blood" running in it's veins!

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!

Last edited by Odd Job; 10th April 2021 at 07:33..
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote