Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st March 2021, 10:04   #11
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo.k23 View Post
once again broken spring and a ruined brand new tyre this is my second rover it's happened with is it just our cars that shred tyres when they break a spring as i have had a few cars in my day of various makes with broken springs but never damaged a tyre this is the second time i have just started to drive out the driveway only went a couple of feet when i felt and heard it i have taken the wheel off and grinded off what i could of the spring to allow me to take the car for repair in the morning has anyone ever had this happen at speed i shudder to think what the outcome could be by the way i am in the process of ordering tyre protectors can anyone say whether they do the job they are designed to do going for a well earned cuppa now cheers
No, it's not just our cars but this is a Rover/MG forum. My sister has a Ford Fusion. She had parked it as normal on her drive, facing the building; went to reverse but that was accompanied by strange grinding noise, and she couldn't move it. Yes, the spring had broken whilst the car was parked and unattended, the grinding noise was that broken spring gouging into the tyre.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2021, 10:26   #12
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
No, it's not just our cars but this is a Rover/MG forum. My sister has a Ford Fusion. She had parked it as normal on her drive, facing the building; went to reverse but that was accompanied by strange grinding noise, and she couldn't move it. Yes, the spring had broken whilst the car was parked and unattended, the grinding noise was that broken spring gouging into the tyre.

True.
My sons corsa had the same problem only a month back, spring completely fubared.

Heath and Robinson came round and installed a wooden block under the remains of the spring to get it to the garage. Both front springs replaced.
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders. Walnut Handbrake Handle

Wanted: Walnut auto gear stick handle
Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:18   #13
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Judging by forum posts George, no. It always happens when the car is first moved from a parking position.

Simon
An associate of mine had a spring on his 75 go at 70mph in the fast lane of a motorway, he told me that it gave him the fright of his life as he fortunately managed to wrestle the car over to the hard shoulder without colliding with anything else ( Thankfully the morons creating so called 'Smart motorways hadn't been promoted to any kind of responsibility by then)

Tyre was ripped to shreds

Unfortunately I can't remember whether he had tyre protectors fitted or not.

My own only experience of a spring going was when my large American Rugby playing friend jumped into the passenger seat of my previous 75 and there was a loud crack like a rifle shot I knew exactly what it was from the description of others on here. Fortunately I'd had tyre protectors fitted immediately after hearing of my associates story and although I hadn't been moving at the time I was able to carefully drive the 20 miles home without incident.

Last edited by bendrick; 2nd April 2021 at 10:28..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:16   #14
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Had it happen on my wires Corsa years ago. Said I'd wash her car for her, so drove mine round to the road out the front, jumped in hers, 100' down the road I braked to turn into the road round the back of the house, and there was a bang, then a jangling noise as a piece of spring fell out. Luckily it didn't take out the tyre too, but as it was while I was driving I felt I should fix it, most expensive home wash ever!
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:29   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
An associate of mine had a spring on his 75 go at 70mph in the fast lane of a motorway ... he fortunately managed to wrestle the car over to the hard shoulder without colliding with anything else ...
Thank you Kevin for adding this to Steven's earlier post of his spring breaking when accelerating through 30 mph.

This thread has been valuable as it has shown that the 75's springs can break when the car is in motion despite earlier reports indicating that it was always when first moving away from rest.

It's also good to know that, both at 30 mph and 70 mph, the drivers were able to maintain control of the car and come safely to a standstill without collision or injury even though in both cases the tyres were damaged.

Simon
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:47   #16
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Some Citroen vehicles are prone to spring breakage, I know someone who has 5 springs fail on a Picasso also surprisingly my ex boss had one snap on his Rolls Royce.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 14:39   #17
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
No, it's not just our cars but this is a Rover/MG forum.
I've just finished changing a VW Tiguan front spring , 12 year old car. Luckily spring dropped back into the cup after hitting a pothole .
Certainly no easier to do than the Rover and a VW weakness is the captive nuts on the top mount breakaway . The thread is underneath the arch in the weather rather than under the bonnet as on the rover !
Trouble is with any car, fatigue and corrosion of springs as they age make breakage more frequent, and spring design seems to dictate if the broken springs shred the tyres or not !
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 18:14   #18
Shaker
Avid contributor

ZT 260 SE, ZT-T 135+, ZT 160+1.8T, ZS180, ZR115+, 07 2.5 Connie SE

Default Broken Spring 2

Hi, only this weekend I had the second spring break. The first was as the back end of 2019; just moving down the drive, the nearside spring and it sliced the tyre.
So I fitted a new tyre, a pair of springs and tyre protectors.
Second was this Saturday (Easter weekend) I haven't used the car for nearly 12mths (covid & getting a ZT) reversed it out from where it was parked and the offside spring went, no tyre damage as it broke higher up than the protector. So just over 12mths old and less than 1.5k miles and Rimmers don't stock the ones I need....

Anyone know where I can get springs with codes PF & JF..?

V8.... Everything else is just a toy!!!
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2021, 07:14   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
... Rimmers don't stock the ones I need...
Anyone know where I can get springs with codes PF & JF..?
Hi Steve,

Send an e-mail direct to X-Part or try a phone call, the number's still 0116 296 7888 despite the move to Birmingham. Obviously they have access to the official parts guide and you can buy genuine parts directly from them. That's what I did. The service was excellent and actually cheaper than a well known national parts retailer!

Simon
Old 8th April 2021, 09:15   #20
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Luckily I had tyre protectors fitted in the official recall, so although had a few springs snap in the years I have had the car, I have had no damaged tyres.
Terry
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote