Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2017, 09:19   #11
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

This is becoming a very funny thread...

But I think we may be losing sight of the OPs intended question, which I feel is asking for the deployment speed of the actual bag (correct me if I'm wrong - I probably am ) ?

A quick Google is saying at anything up to 200mph.
Old 10th March 2017, 09:34   #12
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

I think I read somewhere that airbags (or maybe the pressurised canisters that make them inflate?) have to be renewed after 10 or 15 or how ever many years?

There's also a classic airbag deployment video at https://youtu.be/6bBVJAFrN0U

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 11:14   #13
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

Can we clarify here please. A change in speed (mph, m/s, whatever) is an acceleration (mph/h, m/s/s). Deceleration is an acceleration, just 'negative' loool, oxymoron or no. I believe an accelerometer is used to initially trigger firing of the airbags. So yes, if struck whilst at a stand still, from the right direction (the accelerometers are direction sensitive) then the air bags may well be deployed.

Reminds me of that great TV advert when the chap is exhausted driving, looking for a comfortable way to get some shut eye, hits a tree a couple of times to get his front airbag out, and a nice comfortable pillow !!!
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 12:59   #14
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

My first thought was................really really quick!
After the other descriptions, I appreciate this may look a bit bland now!!
I also appreciate that it's not really answering the OP's question.

Last edited by mh007; 10th March 2017 at 16:26..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 13:14   #15
humptynumpty
Retired

Health

a town near me a boy was at traffic lights in a citroen saxo waiting on a elderly lady with bags to cross, anyway she nodded off standing up and boy honked horn, she got sucha a startly she swung her bags hit front of his car and the airbags went off and i believe broke his nose and cracked a tooth, i will tell you it was hilarious lol
humptynumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 13:48   #16
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbox View Post
Can we clarify here please. A change in speed (mph, m/s, whatever) is an acceleration (mph/h, m/s/s). Deceleration is an acceleration, just 'negative' loool, oxymoron or no. I believe an accelerometer is used to initially trigger firing of the airbags. So yes, if struck whilst at a stand still, from the right direction (the accelerometers are direction sensitive) then the air bags may well be deployed.
To clarify - (I see that you remain confused.)

accelerate: - to increase speed
decelerate: - to decrease speed

To summarise: An acceleration figure less than zero is correctly termed a deceleration.

You are also correct that it's an accelerometer that forms the trigger mechanism. A deceleration larger than a predetermined rate allows the movable part of the accelerometer to move forward (accelerating relative to it's fixed part).

Having done some cursory research (and some conversions to make them understandable ) airbags might deploy (when based purely on deceleration/impact: which they aren't) at between ....

789 mph/s (36G)

to

1,315 mph/s (60G)

For anyone wishing to follow my research...

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/MichelleYee.shtml
http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/m_s2g.php
http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/con...celeration.php

PS. I'd call these 'back of a fag packet' figures but that wouldn't be PC in todays culture, so I thought of calling them 'back of beer mat' figures but those seem to be out of favour as well. So I'll just call them 'out of the air figures' for now.

PPS. Looking at those figures I'd hope that those numbers are for deceleration of the leading edge of the car's crumple zone and not the deceleration of the cabin. To put those G figures into perspective an astronaut will encounter around 3G on launch, an f1 driver 5G on braking, and a jet fighter pilot 9G (wearing a special suit to help them stay conscious).

PPS. A 'G' equal to force of the Earth's gravity - 5G is five times that - I really wouldn't want to feel 5G (85 stone)
Save

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 10th March 2017 at 16:34..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 14:04   #17
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2750 HP View Post
Good evening: has anyone any idea please as to what speed a ZT airbag will deploy at?

Regards
Steve
IN 2008 my wife having parked our V6 connie AUTOMATIC( 12000 miles Wedgewood blue),decided it wasn't straight enough. Climbed back in, placed foot hard on brake!!!!Started, slipped into drive, at about 12000rpm from stop, the car travelled 200yds up and over a bank and into a wall, all airbags deployed (Causing according to insurance Co over £4000 of damage, certainly the dashboard was a write off.. as it turned out so was the car)

Obviously she had her foot on the accelerator!!(Not the first or the last!!)

Anyhow, I don't know about speed or distance over time it,but I can guarantee that from a standing start on full revs,any direct impact will definitely deploy ALL airbags...writing off your car at the same time....she hadn't fastened her seat belt ,as after all she was only going to straighten it up!!So she broke her right arm from the air bag deploying, plus had to be taken to hospital on a spinal board.

Shes fine now just as long as no one talks about it!!!!
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 17:23   #18
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post

To summarise: An acceleration figure less than zero is correctly termed a deceleration.

You are also correct that it's an accelerometer that forms the trigger mechanism. A deceleration larger than a predetermined rate allows the movable part of the accelerometer to move forward (accelerating relative to it's fixed part).

Having done some cursory research (and some conversions to make them understandable ) airbags might deploy (when based purely on deceleration/impact: which they aren't) at between ....

789 mph/s (36G)

to

1,315 mph/s (60G)

PS. I'd call these 'back of a fag packet' figures but that wouldn't be PC in todays culture, so I thought of calling them 'back of beer mat' figures but those seem to be out of favour as well. So I'll just call them 'out of the air figures' for now.

PPS. Looking at those figures I'd hope that those numbers are for deceleration of the leading edge of the car's crumple zone and not the deceleration of the cabin. To put those G figures into perspective an astronaut will encounter around 3G on launch, an f1 driver 5G on braking, and a jet fighter pilot 9G (wearing a special suit to help them stay conscious).

PPS. A 'G' equal to force of the Earth's gravity - 5G is five times that - I really wouldn't want to feel 5G (85 stone)
Save
' An acceleration figure less than zero is correctly termed deceleration ?How can that be? If the figure is zero, you are not moving. Therefor there is no movement?For decelerate to take place you have to be moving? If you throw an object up in the air, it accelerates from the motion you have given it. When it reaches the top of its travel, slowly decelerating,, it stops. It then accelerates back towards the area from where it came. It does not deccelerate ?
Old 10th March 2017, 18:36   #19
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post

789 mph/s (36G)

to

1,315 mph/s (60G)

Save
Avulon, you are wrong. Please do not continue to post mis-information on the forum. I suggest you educate yourself in the science of motion some more. Maybe to the level of computing and control of space vehicles (yes, rocket science) like I have, with qualifications and letters after my name to say so. I close my contribution to this thread.
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 19:03   #20
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
' An acceleration figure less than zero is correctly termed deceleration ?How can that be? If the figure is zero, you are not moving. Therefor there is no movement?For decelerate to take place you have to be moving? If you throw an object up in the air, it accelerates from the motion you have given it. When it reaches the top of its travel, slowly decelerating,, it stops. It then accelerates back towards the area from where it came. It does not deccelerate ?
Think about it ; it's perfectly reasonable You are confusing change of direction with rate of change of speed