Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th March 2019, 17:03   #26
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
What is now possible today, was once thought impossible yesterday... I believe cars have become bigger due to safety reasons, technology has evolved and expanded so much, that design is no longer based on looks, everything is focused on safety now. Its all a case of mass production 24/7 using robots and computers producing identical parts for identical cars.

Lifestyle plays a big part in what people want from their vehicle, and with the ever increasing population becoming unhealthy, this has helped the car design to adapt to our needs when it comes to comfort and ease of access etc.

As for the car enthusiast buying old cars due to cheap banger prices, that's poppycock. The folk that buy cheap banger cars are not car enthusiasts, they are just regular folk who cant really afford a newer better car. A car enthusiast is a different breed altogether, insurance companies such as Adrian Flux can recognise the difference with certain insurance policies to suit...

I'm sure many cheap banger owners also own a new or newer vehicle, it just a way of having the reinsurance of owning a more reliable newer car. I went out and bought a new car because I wanted the wife and kids to have something newer than driving around in my old bangers, we always had the funds to do so, but I'm an old believer where I prefer money is better left in the bank.

I much prefer the older style vehicles due to their classic shape, cars that were created in an analogue world where designers used pencil and paper to create beautiful elegant designs. I also enjoy what the older classic car represents, its a different world of motoring which easily alienates the modern crazy society that we live in today, never do I want to be the same.
Couldn't have put it better myself, excellent take on the subject.
We also own a modern-ish car, it's an Astra twin top, nice enough but too much attention was put into styling and not enough engineering was put into the build quality .... the scuttle shake when the roof is down is dreadful ! my wife worked for Vauxhall for fifteen years and just about every engineer and salesman remarked .... nice looking car but awful drive and build quality.
Just another mass produced Eurobox built with Form over function, which incidently is being sold as soon as the summer gets here. haha.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote