Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd September 2017, 11:28   #181
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I would use the product as indicated on the instruction sheet that comes with it.
Which basically tells you to add the whole canfull, run engine 20 minutes then drain down, flush and refill. But it's obvious from discussions here that many people leave it in, perhaps 'as insurance'. It's also a chore, with all that draining, flushing, plus of course the ritual bleeding. Removing the unrequired stuff isn't easy, especially if you followed it to the letter and poured a canfull of undiluted/undispersed gloop directly into the head hose). So eventually, a gummed up system in even worse nick. Still, you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

(WondarWeld - If it comes in a box remember to keep it, because the can/bottle has no instructions on it!)

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:37   #182
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Which basically tells you to add the whole canfull, run engine 20 minutes then drain down, flush and refill. But it's obvious from discussions here that many people leave it in, perhaps 'as insurance'. It's also a chore, with all that draining, flushing, plus of course the ritual bleeding. Removing the unrequired stuff isn't easy, especially if you followed it to the letter and poured a canfull of undiluted/undispersed gloop directly into the head hose). So eventually, a gummed up system in even worse nick. Still, you pays yer money and makes yer choice.

(WondarWeld - If it comes in a box remember to keep it, because the can/bottle has no instructions on it!)

TC
I have used it, I just didn't remove any thermostat, and in stead of just idling, I took it for a trip on the open highway, but with an easy foot.
I have subsequently dismantled the engine, (because it bent valves, and not because it didn't work), and there were only a few spots where I could see any evidence of it.
My heater works fine and i have had no ill effects at all.
So i can only say this procedure worked for me.
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:32   #183
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
So i can only say this procedure worked for me.
Indeed. All these products do exactly what it says on the tin. A thorough flushing is the important bit, which many seem to overlook.

TC
Old 23rd September 2017, 07:53   #184
Pruts3r
Avid contributor

1999 Rover 75 Sterling - Pewter Grey - Aubergine Leather & 1985 Rover 3500 Vitesse - Targa Red

I watched a instruction video of wondarweld and i was planning on following it for a bit.

https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/wondarweld/

It said drain the coolant and flush. That i am going to do.
It said remove thermostat and por in wondarweld were the thermosta was. NOT giong to do that
Then refil with water. That i am going to do and after a few liters i will throw in the bottle of wondarweld and then top up with more water.
Then it said run for 15 mins or until leak is fixed. I plan on taking it for an one hour drive and back.
Then i should drain and flush thorouhgly which i will offcourse.

Sounds about right to you guys??

Thnx to the both of you for giving me a bit of comfort for using this. Because to me it allways felt like a bodge repair but i just dont have the energy left to once again open her up, repace im gaskets or whatever to then just hope for the best....yet again.

I got a good feeling that this may work.

A how much should i put in? Bottles are availible in 250ml and 500ml. Which should i buy? And how much would you use? Remember I am throwing it in the expansion tank. Not directly in the engine
•Born on Wednesday the 23rd of June 1999 @ 11:35:32
•The 6367th 75 to be produced.
•The 214th Pewter Grey 75 out of 442.
•Probably one of a handful Pewters with Aubergine.
Pruts3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 09:48   #185
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruts3r View Post
Sounds about right to you guys??
Yes, that sounds OK to me.

Quote:
Which should i buy?
Holt's WondarWeld. It contains ceramic fibres.
Do not buy the copper flakes dispersion called K-Seal.

Quote:
how much should i put in? Bottles are availible in 250ml and 500ml.
Buy the small pack. Shake it for two minutes (as you do with a can of aerosol paint). Pour half into a clean container and add a litre of water. Mix it thoroughly so it's fully dispersed and there are no lumps/clumps.

If the coolant is to be re-used drain it all into buckets. Otherwise, partly drain it. If adding via the header tank ensure you drain off at least three litres. This will ensure the dispersion goes completely into the cooling circuit. (The header and downpipe are not in the circuit).

A fifty mile/one hour drive at normal speeds will fix it if it can be fixed.

Drain, flush thoroughly and refill with coolant. You might do another hour's driving with only flush water in the system before the final refill. The essential thing is not to leave excess sealant in the system. Once it's done the job, remove everything .

TC
Old 11th October 2017, 01:20   #186
zefrench
Avid contributor

Freelander V6

Any updates on how it went ?
zefrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 04:28   #187
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I have been wondering too!
Old 12th October 2017, 06:51   #188
Pruts3r
Avid contributor

1999 Rover 75 Sterling - Pewter Grey - Aubergine Leather & 1985 Rover 3500 Vitesse - Targa Red

No not yet. Havent tried it yet. No time for draining everything, flushing and the rest. Want to do it perfect. Car still behaves great. Temp stays perfect, and runs smoooooth and lovely. Only have to add a bit of coolant after each trip.

I promise i will post as soon as i have news to report.
Old 28th October 2017, 20:00   #189
Pruts3r
Avid contributor

Wel just took the dive:
- drained the complete coolingsystem
- bypassed the heater matrix with a hose (just to make sure that absolute no wondarweld stuff wil gunk up my brand new heatermatrix)
- flushed the system from multiple points untill clear water came from most holes and hoses.
- reconnected it al an filled with water for a bit via the expansiontank.
- then (out of sight of the car) mixed the wonderweld with water in an empty exclusive whiskey bottle and tricked the car into thinking it was getting a good drink of fine whiskey when actually it got the wondarweld mix (no i am not crazy, this car is alive and probably possed)
- pored it in al in the exansion tank
- filled the systeem up with water
- the bled the system in 1000 diffrent ways so no air can be left in.
- Drove her home and temperature again stayed fine,

Now tomorrow i am gonna check the level and drive is for a 40 minutes trip and then let it cool down again for the day and check again. Drive it home again and check again next day and the i am gonna hve it flushed out again and refil with coolant.

I always use MPM premium longlife (red-pinkish) coolant.

Keep you al updated
Old 6th November 2017, 17:38   #190
Pruts3r
Avid contributor

Well here we are again... Its been...interesting to say the least.

The day after we pored in the mixture of water and wondarweld in the flushed coolant system al was good.
Drove the car to my mechanic in the morning (sunday) and spent the day there. In the evening when time came to go home i started the car...wel i tried. A screetching screaming noise came from the engine bay (Just like before when it seezed up complete). My mechanic then tried and after a while the engine started turning over again. First slowly but every try a bit faster. It wouldnt start though.
Next morning (monday) Diagnostic tool revealed a whole bunch of faults including camshaft sensor like last time. Left the car there and
next morning (tuesday) tried again with a new cameshaft sensor. Engine was stuck again. Cranked it manualy from the crankshaft with a wrench and after a while it got moving smoother and smoother. Tried the starter and it kicked over and after some tries it ran. Very rough tough. checked the timing and it was of again but just the safety margin of 1 and a half teeth this time so no damage done.
Reset its timing and tried again. Pured like a kitten. Drained the coolant and wondarweld. Flushed the system. We decided to clean the engine internally by adding ATF to the oil and letting it idle for an hour or so.
Next morning (wednesday) also poured in a can of Wynns (no, not "start ya b@stard!" but oil system cleaner) and let it run for another hour. Drained al the oil. Filled it with brand new oil and added wynns friction something for more smoothness. Started the engine and smoooooth as silk and started on the button. Left her for the night
Next morning (thursday): Didnt try the starter but went straight to manual cranking (its like my own model T ford) to feel if it was stuck or not. Tried starting and instandly kicked into life and ran smooth. Flushed coolant system again and reconnected heater matrix and refilled with coolant and bled system again. Let it run for some time and everything looked normal. Took her home again. Temp and everything perfect.
Saterday: needed the car for a 50km trip. Coolant was low (but thats normal after it just being refilled and al) so topped it up and started instandly. Drove perfect. In the evening went back and everything a okay again. Just checked coolant level now and stil between min and max so maybe it is al okay now. Or maybe there is another air pocket that fools me.

So what caused the seezing of the engine? Only thing we could think of was my coolant leaking in the oil (remember, i lost coolant and got mayo that kept comming back?) and with the added wondarweld now that messed up things in the oil. I got everything sticky in the engine and almost froze the cams/valves. Maybe it is like that mix baileys with 7up thing you know?
The bottle said DO NOT POUR IN OIL so kinda my own fault but i figured "headgasket failures mean coolant spilling in oil most of the time so no problem". I was wrong. (i of course did pour the bottle in the coolant. I mixed it with water and poured it in the expansion tank)

IF YOU DECIDE TO USE WONDARWELD ON A KV6 THEN MAKE SURE NON OF IT CAN GET INTO YOUR OIL!!!! Kv6 cams are prone to seezing up allready

So now i am hoping for the best...and we pray that we flushed out the demon in this car with al the coolant flushes

Last edited by Pruts3r; 6th November 2017 at 19:22..