Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2007, 17:45   #1
Stephen Hutton
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi

Default Ipod docking station for ZT CDTi

Hi

I am considering exchanging my Alpine 6 CD multiplay (glovebox mounted) for an IPOD docking station, I heard that there is an Alpine connector to fit that will enable me to achieve this.

Has anyone else considered this, and if so where do I start?

I personally do not have any interest in repeatedly loading or carrying CD's around the interior to get scratched or stolen.
Stephen Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 06:39   #2
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hutton View Post
Hi

I am considering exchanging my Alpine 6 CD multiplay (glovebox mounted) for an IPOD docking station, I heard that there is an Alpine connector to fit that will enable me to achieve this.

Has anyone else considered this, and if so where do I start?

I personally do not have any interest in repeatedly loading or carrying CD's around the interior to get scratched or stolen.
Hi Stephen!

I have a Connects2 iPod adapter that replaced my glove box mounted CD changer for use with my Symphony head unit. You can use your steering wheel controls to skip tracks and the iPod (most often) shuts off automatically when you turn off the HU.

Every now and then the adapter will fail to gain full control over the ipod when you connect requiring a "reboot" and disconnect/reconnect of the ipod and you won't get any useful info from the display on the HU. This only happens on connect as far as I can tell and once it connects correctly it is stable.

Sound quality is OK but I did have to turn on the ipods built-in equalizer (set to "classical" in my case) as the sound was a bit weak in the midrange by default.

I got mine used and didn't pay that much and in considering that I am happy with mine, but the ~£100 full price is a bit to much.

Connects2 website is at http://www.connects2.co.uk

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 07:07   #3
Stephen Hutton
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi

Thumbs up Thank you

That was perfect, what can I say!

I have had a look at the site and I must say I am impressed, they seem to answer most everything you need in Car Audio integration.

May I also say that when I first inquired about this requirement, I was told of the FM connnection route to be the only method, however this seems a much better solution.

May I inquire as to how difficult it was to install, or did you leave that to a professional? I believe that the connections need to extend to the central audio unit in the boot for my vehicle, is this true?

Thank you
Old 20th March 2007, 08:12   #4
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

I had an Alpine CDE-9850ri Head Unit fitted in place of the OEM one.

IPOD connects directly via a cable and you have full control over it and tag display.

IMO, the sound quality far outweighs the Symphony I had originally.

That HU also works with the steering column controls by use of an adaptor
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 17:45   #5
Stephen Hutton
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Hi Stephen!

I have a Connects2 iPod adapter that replaced my glove box mounted CD changer for use with my Symphony head unit. You can use your steering wheel controls to skip tracks and the iPod (most often) shuts off automatically when you turn off the HU.

Every now and then the adapter will fail to gain full control over the ipod when you connect requiring a "reboot" and disconnect/reconnect of the ipod and you won't get any useful info from the display on the HU. This only happens on connect as far as I can tell and once it connects correctly it is stable.

Sound quality is OK but I did have to turn on the ipods built-in equalizer (set to "classical" in my case) as the sound was a bit weak in the midrange by default.

I got mine used and didn't pay that much and in considering that I am happy with mine, but the ~£100 full price is a bit to much.

Hi

I have contacted Connects2 and they want me to confirm that I have either a BMW hi-line system or a ISO Rover fitting?

I do not know what I have, you originally confirmed that you have a Symphony head unit and an Alpine 6 CD in the Glove Box. All I know is that I have a Sat Nav Radio Casette solution built into the dash fascia. The Sat Nav CD is fitted in the boot and the Alpine 6 CD changer is in the Glove Box, so I assume that we have the same kit? or am I confused?

If you think that I do, could you please confirm, if not how do I know?

regards

I thought the Conneisure
Old 20th March 2007, 17:48   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Someone will be along to give the Correct answer but Im pretty sure that you have the ISO Rover fitting the BMW was on the Hi Line systems with TV monitor.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 15:32   #7
Stephen Hutton
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTi

Thumbs up Hi line

Hello

Yes, I have a TV monitor in the dash, this displays the Sat Nav FM stations and the CD track/disc number.

Does this help?

It would seem that I have a Hi-Line BMW solution

thank you
Old 21st March 2007, 15:40   #8
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hutton View Post
Hello

Yes, I have a TV monitor in the dash, this displays the Sat Nav FM stations and the CD track/disc number.

Does this help?

It would seem that I have a Hi-Line BMW solution

thank you
You do indeed have the Hi Line Sat Nav System there Stephen.
Just wait for Keith to come back on to answer the Plug/wiring options for you. Not at home so don't have all the Info with me but it does have the BMW system plugs fitted on mine.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 19:15   #9
Prometheus
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default confirmation please.

I have a Symphony Alpine Low Line in my MG ZT 190 2002.

A connects 2 adapter to connect an Ipod seems to be a NO NO?

How would i go about connecting my Ipod to my HU?

Or am i stuck buying an aftermarket HU with ipod intergration?
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 19:24   #10
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I have a Symphony Alpine Low Line in my MG ZT 190 2002.

A connects 2 adapter to connect an Ipod seems to be a NO NO?

How would i go about connecting my Ipod to my HU?

Or am i stuck buying an aftermarket HU with ipod intergration?
iirc you can use the Connects2 adaptor described above. Biggles posted this:

hth

Mike