Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2011, 19:31   #1
stormbind
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Locating an oil leak

I have today seen oil puddle on the near side, and I estimate it was more or less below that big air box filter.

I've just bought an adjustable spanner to help me get a closer look and I've never delved below the battery before.. suggestions please?

No less than 3 professional mechanics have also failed to find the source of leaking oil. They find oil around the engine but say its not a leak and blame me for spilling it - infuriating!

Last edited by stormbind; 24th July 2011 at 19:33..
stormbind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 20:37   #2
stormbind
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Bellows being the large ribbed rubber? It seemed OK and dry all round. Tonight I can't find an oil dribble. Its a goose chase

Humn... is it possible to have an air lock in the oil systems?

It has been said there's a removable catch tray under the engine that would disrupt diagnosing a leak. Can someone please post a photo/diagram of that tray, because mine doesn't seem to have anything under the engine?

The only odd things I found was that its dirty inside the air intake (not oily) and the air filter is clean. The combination suggests poor maintenance history to me.

I always find signs that water has overflown from the coolant tank (stains on the bigger pipe) and the coolant level consistently drops below min ... which is a weird combination and reminds me, I need to find the member who sells the metal thermostat housing.. are they here?

Last edited by stormbind; 24th July 2011 at 20:53..
stormbind is offline   Reply With Quote