Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th January 2019, 12:59   #1
kingcat75

Rover 75 Estate CDT

Default Electrical problems

Would appreciate any help or advice. Over the last week my fuel guage dropped suddenly, shortly after putting £40 worth of diesel in. The digital display (range indicator) also dropped. Occasionally the needle went up on the guage, but would drop right down to zero again. I filled up again and at the moment it seems to be working. Unusually, my CD player, which hasn't worked for several months, has started working again. Today I tried to start the car and the battery (8 months old) was dead. When I got the car started with a battery booster, the voltmeter on the battery terminals would only read 13 volts, which has gone down slightly now. Most of the problems seem to have started after changing the nearside left dipped headlamp bulb. I had to move the fusebox out of the way, immediately behind the bulb, in order to get to it. Battery currently on charge. Alternator was changed around 4 years ago. Anyone have any ideas? Many thanks.
kingcat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 19:51   #2
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

First thing to do with any electrical gremlins is check your plenum chamber to ensure it's dry. Test your battery and check its terminals are fitted correctly.

If you've moved the fuse box out of the way you may have disturbed something in the process so check all connections thoroughly. You may have to unbolt the FB and move it again to do this. There is a seam on the chassis behind each headlight that is known to fray wires (more commonly on the OS) - check the wires around this area are in tact.