Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th March 2021, 21:16   #21
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You could have your drums refurbed Wes, or go for a disc conversion!

http://www.stotfoldengineers.co.uk/s...ory/blog/cars/
Old 18th March 2021, 21:25   #22
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You could have your drums refurbed Wes, or go for a disc conversion!

http://www.stotfoldengineers.co.uk/s...ory/blog/cars/
Disc conversion, great idea Andy, but that's way beyond my capability.

I may need to send the drums and servo off for reconditioning etc, what a nightmare. I also have 203mm drums on the laser, will have the same problem there too. I can get 9" drums easily, but not 8inch.

What would be causing the servo to constantly hiss, done the pedal test and all ok there. Pump pedal with engine off, hold pedal down and start engine, pedal drops an inch as it should.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 07:03   #23
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
So it seems I've bought a lemon, a very expensive one at that.

Had the L for two weeks now and its currently sat on drive with rear wheels locked up, first thoughts were handbrake mechanism, but it moves freely. Second thoughts rear cylinders, but they are moving the shoes in and out, so not quite sure.

Jack car up and wheels move freely, O/S wheel is stiff on a full rotation, seems drum may be not true and shoes are rubbing on a full turn. Drums look ok though, no real wear, but car is struggling to pull away as wheels are definitely locking up.

I have spent the last two days searching for 8" (203mm) rear drums, there isn't none anywhere, all out of stock and no one can get any.

Plus, I'm sure I can hear the servo constantly hissing.

So it seems the previous owner has told me a few fibs...
Try this number, tell him Mike sent you, it's very likely he'll have genuine new ones. If you struggle with getting them off, clamp the flexi brake hose and undo the bleed nipple at the back of the drums, tap with a hammer and they should come off.
01254 830343 Nick.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 07:22   #24
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Disc conversion is dead easy Wes..

Old 19th March 2021, 17:11   #25
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A hissing brake servo is usually a leaking rear seal. With no servo assistance and a return spring trying to do its thing it will be applying the brakes.

If you remove the vacuum pipe it should allow the car to move.

I use Classiccar Automotive to remanufacture brake parts, great service and the parts come back looking like new.

A hissing servo is an MOT faliure.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 17:40   #26
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
Try this number, tell him Mike sent you, it's very likely he'll have genuine new ones. If you struggle with getting them off, clamp the flexi brake hose and undo the bleed nipple at the back of the drums, tap with a hammer and they should come off.
01254 830343 Nick.
Thanks Mike, I have given Nick a call and he is on the case, see if he can work his magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Disc conversion is dead easy Wes..

Cheers Andy, I've been looking into the disc conversion, I've read that it's best to upgrade the front discs and calipers as well, otherwise it will throw the brake balance out, something about the rears locking up before the fronts, a bit like what is happening now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A hissing brake servo is usually a leaking rear seal. With no servo assistance and a return spring trying to do its thing it will be applying the brakes.

If you remove the vacuum pipe it should allow the car to move.

I use Classiccar Automotive to remanufacture brake parts, great service and the parts come back looking like new.

A hissing servo is an MOT faliure.
Cheers Steve, the brakes do seem to be applying themselves. I have my doubts that its just the rear brakes seized as the rear wheels do turn, it seems there may be more than one fault, a leaky rear seal as you say, or a faulty master cylinder, but the fluid level doesn't move.
Old 19th March 2021, 17:53   #27
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

You don't have a problem in the back axle do you? Drop the oil and see if there is any metal in it. If each wheel spins OK but it doesn't drive, it could be prop or rear axle/diff related.Rear axle bearings? Prop bearings? Remove half shafts and check for binding. Check prop for stiffness. Work your way through one step at a time. If you end up with a gearbox going tight on you I apologise in advance!
Old 19th March 2021, 18:45   #28
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
You don't have a problem in the back axle do you? Drop the oil and see if there is any metal in it. If each wheel spins OK but it doesn't drive, it could be prop or rear axle/diff related.Rear axle bearings? Prop bearings? Remove half shafts and check for binding. Check prop for stiffness. Work your way through one step at a time. If you end up with a gearbox going tight on you I apologise in advance!
Both rear wheels spin, but they feel restricted as if the brakes are binding. The rear O/S wheel turns freely and then jams, cant get a full free turn.

The shoes must be sticking on the N/S more so as the burning smell gets quite potent.

You get the same feeling when driving, she is being held back as if the brakes are not releasing. When pulling away it feels as if the rear brakes are being applied, the car wants to twist as if one rear wheel is stuck.

I take the drums off and the hubs turn freely, you can see the propshaft rotate, the handbrake mech also releases and cylinders seem ok.

I've got new shoes, cylinders and brake spring fitting kit, I will get a new flexi hose for the rear also, it looks like it has seen better days. I'm trying to locate new 8" drums (203mm), but everywhere are out of stock even though many websites state instock, its not until you place the order you get told... Sorry out of stock...

My other worry is the constant hiss from servo, is it master or is it servo, but which part? The pedal test says servo is ok, pump pedal a few times, hold pedal down and start engine, pedal drops an inch... I'm hoping this is a good sign.
Old 19th March 2021, 19:14   #29
Kerthan23
Avid contributor

Rover 75 connie diesel, 1982 xr3 & 1974 gt Capri

Default Capri issues

Hi, sorry to here about your troubles, Martin at caprigear will sort you out with parts you need(google) or I'm sure his number/contacts is on Capri forums, the joys of owning any car, iron out the niggles and enjoy
Old 19th March 2021, 19:15   #30
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Sounds like your servo is ok Wes, are you leaking vaccum from the rubber hose or fitting?