Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th December 2012, 09:57   #1
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

Angry water water every where

well as the title reads i have more water inside my car than out of it and to be honest i get well ***** of with it!!! it is getting to the point that i am thinking of getting shut, the rear passenger foot well is flooded and also the boot both side can anybody point me in the right direction before i call it a day.but i should know better as it was from half a job rover.

its a tourer by the way

Last edited by grs6680; 27th December 2012 at 10:20.. Reason: Contravention of Club Rules - FAQ Rule 2
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 10:01   #2
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

First check the plenum drain, then it's rear lights seals and boot trim and rear window trim. The scuttle clips could probably do with a clean under them. Muck there wicks the water down under them. Sun roof if you have one the drains can come adrift inside the car it seems.

On mine it seems it was a combination of the plenum drain and the drain tube being dislodged and the much under the scuttle clips. Since I attended to these it's been dry.
Old 27th December 2012, 15:03   #3
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Water

The soaked rear footwells could be surging from the boot. There are several possible leak points in the boot which you will find if you do a 'search'. I would strongly advise that you drill a couple of drain holes in the boot-well immediately because,even if you find your problem the area will probably flood again in the future. The first thing to check is the rear light assembly gaskets
as they are infamous for splitting. You can glue them and then replace with the addition of some silicone sealer.
OOPS! rear lights fault does not apply to the tourers.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 15:54   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

All of the above, plus drill lots of 1/8th holes in all the places you find pooling water, if water does get in, and it probably will from time to time, you don't want it lying around too long....
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 16:07   #5
Le Mans 190

RIP Le Mans 190 :(

Don't drill holes that will not solve the problem seems you have a sunroof check there first

have a look here first
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=118622
Le Mans 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 16:48   #6
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs6680 View Post
well as the title reads i have more water inside my car than out of it and to be honest i get well ***** of with it!!! it is getting to the point that i am thinking of getting shut, the rear passenger foot well is flooded and also the boot both side can anybody point me in the right direction before i call it a day.but i should know better as it was from half a job rover.

its a tourer by the way
Check also your Roof Rail seals. I do believe these can leak into the Car.

The Tourer is a pain to remove Trim out of the Loadspace as it involves removing the Rear seat backrest, to get the Loadspace lid off, then removing the Side "L" Trims (Which come off easy but are a Pig to realign without breaking the Tree clips), Followed on by removing the Wheel Arch covers, There are two screws on the flat section and one at the rear and front, positioned Front, on the wheel arch and rear halfway up the Loadspace 'wall'. Also, you will need to remove the Loadspace Latch points, there are two Torx bolts in each one. Use a small screwdriver to gently lever out the Cover from under the Latch loop.

On each side of teh Car there is a small Vent, which is a common leak point on all variants of the 75, Saloon and Tourer. People have resealed them using silicone sealant iirc. Which solves the problem.

Get a couple of Towels to soak up the water then finish off with Kitchen Towel.
Old 27th December 2012, 16:50   #7
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

?? No one said it will solve the problem, but it will stop gallons of water collecting inside of your car forcing you to remove the carpets to dry them out! innit...

When my rear light leaked it just caused a damp patch thanks to my drain holes.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 17:24   #8
1gp

mgzt, 135 cdti , manual , in solar red.also own a mgtf.

Default body joints...

I can tell you where the water is coming in . i have just been through all this with mine ... . its the body joints on the top tailgate shut. where the roof joins the shut just below the tailgate hinges... they will need resealing with body sealer.. I have just stripped my back end out , i sealed everywhere rear quarter windows inner outer . roof rails dont leak , they are captive , so bolts dont enter the inside......Rear lights dont leak not the same as a saloon. check your rear boot seal , and also mod the sunroof drains , by cutting the cromet down , and feed the pipe through the hole, so there is no joins in the pipe work... I notice your in notts , pm me if you need help and i will come and have alook.

Last edited by 1gp; 27th December 2012 at 18:22..
1gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 18:41   #9
philjudo
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 CDTI Saloon Club SE

I drilled 2 x 1/8 holes in the spare wheel well and undersealed either side the holes after developing a small puddle so let it out. (Mine is a saloon)
Old 27th December 2012, 18:47   #10
cussif
Loves to post

mg zt cdt

i had this with my old saloon i know yours is the tourer i ended up completely re carpetting the car in teh end because it was leaking from the front and the rear i stripped it down to a shell inside and sealed every where and i mean everywhere and it never leaked after that
cussif is offline   Reply With Quote