Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st January 2016, 13:26   #4501
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I wish I had done, but it'll probably be too late now. They bring in 25-50 cars a day to be scrapped, so have a high turnover. Apparently this I why I never see any tourers there.

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:08   #4502
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Mine spouts out plumes of vapor in weather like we've been having, even after quite some time. But it does eventually cease.

But yes, I hear what you're saying when your car seems to be the only one doing it...lol.
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:28   #4503
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I had my first long trip in the Rover yesterday down to Derby from Lancs. It drove superbly. I'd won an ebay auction for 4 contours & good tyres for the grand total of £68.06 That's 17 quid each, Bargain

I also ordered a digital trickle charger after missing out on those ones at LIDL the other week. Looks to be a nice piece o kit.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:45   #4504
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Just plugged it into the Rover & first reading was 12.6, went inside to make a cuppa & in 5 minutes the reading was 13.0

Old 22nd January 2016, 16:07   #4505
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Decided to tackle the broken spring on the ZT, so after discovering the pinch bolt was tighter than a Scotsman's wallet I borrowed a rattle gun from Cazemi.

Of course I had forgotten I don't have a 1200 CFM compressor at home, my 20 CFM machine struggled a bit

So after some persuasion, said pinch bolt was undone, and the three nuts removed from the top mount (I'd already undone the drop link, the brake pipe, and the ABS sensor from their mounts) and removed the leg.

Just enough time to tidy the tools away before the heavens opened

So off to return the rattle gun, and keep out of the inclement weather I retired to Cazemi's workshop.

Dismantling of the strut then could begin, straight sailing, oh no of course not this is a MGR product and of course the top mounting is seized solid to the damper piston

So in disgust I packed up my gear once again and headed east to see a friend to programme a couple of new plips to his MGF.

Now back home, I fastened the strut into my trusty B&D workmate and hacksawed through the top mount from both sides, which allowed for the removal of the raggy edged spring.

So I'm left with a damper, although easier to handle, still has the lower portion of the metalastic bush and lower tube firmly attached to the damper piston.

So again out with the hacksaw, and cut through the metal ring and once that was out of the way, I carved off the remnants of the rubber from the inner bush tube.

With a judicious application of some very localised heat, coupled with two hammers on opposite sides of the steel tube, the rust bond was broken, and with a flourish and a pair of mole grips the tube was removed with no damage caused to the damper..........Phew !!!!!

A quick spin over the damper piston at the top with a wire brush as all is a good as new

So the job for later is to dismantle the strut top bearing, clean it out and regrease and reassemble it, then I can box the thing back up tomorrow with the nice new spring in the morning.

I might do the other side, as I fitted a S/H spring to that side as a temporary measure, and I have treated it to two genuine MGR Brown Red springs after all.

So this one will take the record for me, five springs fitted in as many weeks

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:46   #4506
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I had my first long trip in the Rover yesterday down to Derby from Lancs. It drove superbly. I'd won an ebay auction for 4 contours & good tyres for the grand total of £68.06 That's 17 quid each, Bargain

I also ordered a digital trickle charger after missing out on those ones at LIDL the other week. Looks to be a nice piece o kit.
[/QUOTE
]

Sounds like you got two nice purchases, do you have a link to the trickle charger for members please

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:03   #4507
Monty Hotspur
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I went to a scrapyard and got a rear subframe, suspensions arms, rear trailing arms and brake calipers. Taking it off wasn't too bad, just a bit of a faff with the damper bottom bolts. The trailing arm bolts to the underside were very easy to get off. The fuel tank strap didn't look too bad on it either although I have just refurbished one ready for fitting up. The car I took the subframe off was sitting on top of a ZT V6 which may well have a decent subframe on it too.
Monty Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:05   #4508
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

[QUOTE=Arctic;2201825]
Quote:
]

Sounds like you got two nice purchases, do you have a link to the trickle charger for members please
Hi Thanks Arctic Yeah it was a good day yesterday. the charger is a very well made piece of kit & tells you the state of your battery exactly.

I have a big old boost/trickle charger thats over 25 years old & a bit past it's sell by date. this is a great improvement & come with an attachment that can be fastened to the battery permanently so I dont have to keep taking the battery cover off. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAYPOLE-74...wAAOSwAYtWKg6o

Old 22nd January 2016, 19:23   #4509
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Decided to tackle the broken spring on the ZT, so after discovering the pinch bolt was tighter than a Scotsman's wallet I borrowed a rattle gun from Cazemi.

Of course I had forgotten I don't have a 1200 CFM compressor at home, my 20 CFM machine struggled a bit

So after some persuasion, said pinch bolt was undone, and the three nuts removed from the top mount (I'd already undone the drop link, the brake pipe, and the ABS sensor from their mounts) and removed the leg.

Just enough time to tidy the tools away before the heavens opened

So off to return the rattle gun, and keep out of the inclement weather I retired to Cazemi's workshop.

Dismantling of the strut then could begin, straight sailing, oh no of course not this is a MGR product and of course the top mounting is seized solid to the damper piston

So in disgust I packed up my gear once again and headed east to see a friend to programme a couple of new plips to his MGF.

Now back home, I fastened the strut into my trusty B&D workmate and hacksawed through the top mount from both sides, which allowed for the removal of the raggy edged spring.

So I'm left with a damper, although easier to handle, still has the lower portion of the metalastic bush and lower tube firmly attached to the damper piston.

So again out with the hacksaw, and cut through the metal ring and once that was out of the way, I carved off the remnants of the rubber from the inner bush tube.

With a judicious application of some very localised heat, coupled with two hammers on opposite sides of the steel tube, the rust bond was broken, and with a flourish and a pair of mole grips the tube was removed with no damage caused to the damper..........Phew !!!!!

A quick spin over the damper piston at the top with a wire brush as all is a good as new

So the job for later is to dismantle the strut top bearing, clean it out and regrease and reassemble it, then I can box the thing back up tomorrow with the nice new spring in the morning.

I might do the other side, as I fitted a S/H spring to that side as a temporary measure, and I have treated it to two genuine MGR Brown Red springs after all.

So this one will take the record for me, five springs fitted in as many weeks

Brian
Next time your'e at Whitby call into Harrisons and tell them how to do it
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 21:56   #4510
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The longer it takes to warm the engine up, the more water is produced. For every gallon of petrol, when it's 'burnt', it produces a gallon of water. In the very cold winter sometime in the 80s, I was driving up to Darley Dale the other side Matlock Derbyshire. I was the only lorry on the road almost, looked in the mirror and could see loads of steam coming out of the exhaust pipe behind the cab. Thought to myself, 'oh no head gasket gone'. Stopped at the side of the road near Swinfen Prison, Lichfield to have a look see. No water missing out of header tank, no water pipes rock hard with pressure, so assumed everything was ok. It was. due to the very cold weather, even diesel gives off loads of water when 'burnt' in a cold atmosphere. Watch 'Ice Road Truckers' on the box.