Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th March 2019, 17:38   #51
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
1.6 k series in a 2002 TF. Plastic inlet manifold. Leak into number 1 cylinder.
Thanks Pete.

I have three Alloy K-Series Inlet manifolds.

Note to self. Fit one or more to our daily driver K-Series cars.
Old 19th March 2019, 23:34   #52
Hawkesman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The mid point on the gauge covers too great a temp range (75°C to 115°C) to be of any real use. The onboard diagnostic is more reliable.

Start the engine, press and hold the trip reset button until the display shows "test 1". Release the button then immediately press again and keep pressing repeatedly until it shows "test 19", release the button. The display will alternate between "Log 1 -on" & "Log 1 -off". While it is showing "Log 1 -off" press the button and press repeatedly until it shows "7" then release the button. This will give a live and accurate reading of the coolant temperature.
OK, even more confused now. Ran the engine (stationary) up to about 80 degrees, then took it for a run. The temp then fluctuated between 97 and 104 degrees, averaging around 99.

Switched off and checked the top hose and it was rock hard. Left it for 6 hours then opened expansion tank. Slight hiss then nothing. No coolant left in tank though. Sniffed expansion tank and could smell petrol but not exhaust.

Like I said, I'm perplexed.
Hawkesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 23:58   #53
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default Cars can be like that.

That average is about 10 degrees more than my ZT-T 1.8T. I wonder if we have the same or different Thermostats and their locations??... or even PRT. Mine has a PRT.

Ambient temperatures in your area would be much the same as mine.

Because I have/had a small ongoing coolant leak recently, been running my ZT-T 1.8T ( MG6 Engine now on 27,000 miles ) for the past 100 miles with that 19-7 Coolant Temperature reading on permanent display.

During this time, the temperature reading steady around 89-91. Only on one occasion have I seen 100-101 showing. That was in a long period of heavy stop start traffic. Soon returned to 90-91 once on the move again.

That running engine temperature will drop if I turn on the Climate Control... can hear the fan kick in then. That drop was rapid when I did that in the stop-start traffic with the reading around 100-101. I have one of the Chinese Climate Control panels which I prefer to the original MG-R ones. Larger display and much more informative and user friendly.

Finally, no more tell tale small damp patches under the car ......why? It seems to have "self healed" and the coolant level stable.

Cars can be like that... However, I will continue to monitor the coolant level or check for loss. Because cars can be like that...