Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th March 2019, 17:13   #11
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default 99% Certain MASTER Clutch Cylinder needed after further investigation..

Fitted the known good used SLAVE and bled both sections... Master and Slave using OFF-CUTs of a 75 Slave Cylinder Fluid Line Connector.

There was an improved "pedal" but unable to select any gear except reverse without going heavy handed.

However, by selecting 1st or 2nd before starting the engine, the little clutch pedal feel available enabled driving off and stopping whilst staying in the same gear.

So investigations so far indicate a worn CLUTCH MASTER Cylinder. Not a job I fancy doing. I'll get a quote for the work. My old bones do not like working under steering wheels upside down..

Looking on the bright side, at least it appears the actual clutch is fine. With a New Master fitted, I hope that is confirmed.

These are the things I used to bleed and charge both sections of the Clutch Hydraulics. Worked better and much easier than I could have hoped. Using the Male and Female connector off-cuts along with a large syringe to pressure charge-bleed the Master it was reassuring to see the fluid level in the reservoir rise to the correct level so easily.

Old 18th March 2019, 18:23   #12
roverbarmy
This is my second home

1999 Cowley V6 Auto Zircon Silver

Sounds like there is still some air in the system. How much movement are you getting at the clutch arm on first press of the pedal? Did you apply some back pressure on the arm to push any air out of the SC ?Any high point on the pipework can lead to an accumulation of "micro" bubbles when it has been disturbed. Sometimes you can get wear in the bush on the pedal too which gives excess movement before the actuation of the pushrod. (Easy to test by looking at the end of the MC pushrod and push/pull. If the pedal moves and the pushrod doesn't...... tadaa!

Last edited by roverbarmy; 18th March 2019 at 18:31..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roverbarmy For This Useful Post:
Old 18th March 2019, 21:01   #13
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up My cunning plan did not shape up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Sounds like there is still some air in the system. How much movement are you getting at the clutch arm on first press of the pedal? Did you apply some back pressure on the arm to push any air out of the SC ?Any high point on the pipework can lead to an accumulation of "micro" bubbles when it has been disturbed. Sometimes you can get wear in the bush on the pedal too which gives excess movement before the actuation of the pushrod. (Easy to test by looking at the end of the MC pushrod and push/pull. If the pedal moves and the pushrod doesn't...... tadaa!
Hi RB,

Thanks for that post.

Yes, did all those and other checks. The movement/feel of the Clutch Pedal suggests a worn Master Cylinder. I actually took images of before and after of the Release Arm Crank position by wedging a stout length of wood to hold the Pedal fully on the floor. Minimal movement and yes, I did bleed the system in such a way to exclude any air. I actually positioned the tubing in such a way that any air would escape into the Syringe... Just a few bubbles ... next to nothing.

The car is now sixteen years old and fast closing on 100,000 miles. Mainly driven by my wife who occasionally holds te Clutch Pedal to the floor when I am alongside as passenger. If she does that habitually, that's additional wear stress on the seals in the master.

There is sufficient pedal available if I start the car in 1st, 2nd or reverse.. Car does not stall when I put the clutch pedal to the floor so easily drivable. I plan to drive it in 2nd the few miles to the Guy I use for jobs I do not fancy doing myself. The old joints hate working under a Steering Wheel ... Sometimes upside down ... ....In the past few months, replaced the Clutch Masters in both my ZT-T ( Deep Joy NOT! ) and two of my Rover 620ti. I do not fancy adding to that hat trick with the weather the way it is....

I've ordered a Master from my local ECP. £69... That will be collected tomorrow morning. I was tempted to buy a Sheddish Assembly ... That would be another £100 ... about £175. If my diagnosis is wrong, I may treat the car to a "sheddish kit"... proper job.... car is well worth it.

Ongoing.
Old 19th March 2019, 13:51   #14
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thumbs up A real Blast from the distant 1970s past seen today.

Picked up my Luk Master Cylinder for my wife's MG ZS120 this morning. Nearby was one of those mobile roadside Burger / Sandwich vans and one of their customers had a J-Reg Morris 1800. The one with the transverse B-Series engine.

Got talking to the owner who was about my age. He told me he has three of these in his collection. I have seen an immaculate "Sandglow" ..?? ... coloured one running strong occasionally... maybe one of his. I took a couple of images... see attached.

Will update when the new Luk Master Cylinder Assembly has been fitted. Tried to start the engine this morning....CLICK-CLICK-CLICK ... Flat VARTA Battery now on charge. Five years old so.... :dunno:...It has showed signs of being worn out back when there was overnight frost ... more expense ... for my good lady.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0293.jpg (129.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0292.jpg (128.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 20th March 2019, 18:53   #15
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Default Deep Joy..... a Happy ending.

Today took the MG ZS 120 and New Clutch Master Cylinder along to my friendly repair outfit I've used for the occasional job I do not fancy doing myself. Put my back out recently so upside down under the steering wheel in the driver's footwell best avoided at the moment. Past few months, have renewed clutch Masters on my ZT-T and both 620ti Ti. Hateful job on the ZT-T/75 as many will confirm too. So did not fancy adding to that particular hat trick ...

Car now has a fine clutch. I only drove it out of the repair unit a couple of hundred yards. Seemed fine. Then my good lady drove it the five miles home. She later confirmed the clutch is better than she can remember. We've had the 2003 car from new .... She followed me driving the ZT-T and gave the occasional thumbs up.

I was surprised how much the labour for this job was... a mere forty quid... a real bonus which my old back fully appreciates. There are some good folks out there who not only do a good job, but with reasonable charges too.

Just got in from refitting the Air Cleaner and its hose to the throttle body. Tapped out a few small leaves and tree seeds from the K&N too... another little job done. Not a difficult removal/refit job but saves a bit of labour. Every little helps.

Last edited by MGJohn; 20th March 2019 at 18:55..
MGJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MGJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 20th March 2019, 19:17   #16
squire
Mad on moggies

Rover 75 saloon, Connie cdt. MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

Result. Nice to hear a happy ending.
squire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squire For This Useful Post: