Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th March 2019, 17:39   #21
Hawkesman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks John, but it must be the HG because I put new plugs in last week which I checked today. The ones in 1-3 looked almost like new, but no. 4 was black. I also shone a torch onto the top of no. 4 piston and it was slightly damp, whereas the other 3 were dry. So unless I'm missing something (and I hope I am!), then that seems pretty conclusive to me. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong though : )
Hawkesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 17:41   #22
Hawkesman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

PS, I can't find any roving engineers near me (Reading).
Old 13th March 2019, 09:21   #23
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkesman View Post
Thanks John, but it must be the HG because I put new plugs in last week which I checked today. The ones in 1-3 looked almost like new, but no. 4 was black. I also shone a torch onto the top of no. 4 piston and it was slightly damp, whereas the other 3 were dry. So unless I'm missing something (and I hope I am!), then that seems pretty conclusive to me. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong though : )
Wouldn't a black spark plug be an over rich mixture ? overfuelling ?
Surely if it was water getting into the cylinder, it would be nice and clean.
And we all know that too rich a fuel mixture would cause missfiring.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 09:49   #24
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

http://www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com/ cover the whole of the UK, cost of work plus fuel cost to get to you but I'd try to get the car looked at by someone with MGR knowledge before calling them. There's a garage in High Wycombe was highlighted to me when I was compiling the T4 map, ex MGR mechanics. https://www.mgrs.co.uk/.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 13:01   #25
Hawkesman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for all the input guys.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the inlets in the head were all clean as a whistle except for no. 4, which had black gunk accumulated at the bottom. Not sure whether that clue is any help? I have some pics but I don't know how to upload them.
Old 13th March 2019, 16:39   #26
Hawkesman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

One last symptom it's been getting. After 3 or 4 miles the fan kicks in, big time. When I've stopped to check under the bonnet it carries on running for a bit then stops. There are no obvious signs of coolant loss, but the hoses are bulging. After switching off, gently releasing the coolant filler cap unleashes a lot of pressure and hissing, followed by a torrent of COLD coolant when I loosen it a bit more. When at last I can release the cap fully the coolant settles down to around about the bottom of the tank.

I've bled it, refilled with about around 1/2 to 1 litre, then tried driving again and it did the same thing. Note that at no time during any of my issues has the temp gauge been anywhere but at the halfway point. Any further thoughts? Thanks.
Old 13th March 2019, 17:17   #27
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The mid point on the gauge covers too great a temp range (75°C to 115°C) to be of any real use. The onboard diagnostic is more reliable.

Start the engine, press and hold the trip reset button until the display shows "test 1". Release the button then immediately press again and keep pressing repeatedly until it shows "test 19", release the button. The display will alternate between "Log 1 -on" & "Log 1 -off". While it is showing "Log 1 -off" press the button and press repeatedly until it shows "7" then release the button. This will give a live and accurate reading of the coolant temperature.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 17:57   #28
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Cold coolant could mean a dodgy thermostat (not opening to allow circulation) or a dodgy waterpump (not circulating).
Old 13th March 2019, 18:59   #29
Hawkesman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Cold coolant could mean a dodgy thermostat (not opening to allow circulation) or a dodgy waterpump (not circulating).
Is there a way to test if it is one of these?
Old 13th March 2019, 19:36   #30
Hawkesman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks yet again John.

So, if it is the thermostat, then it's locking the coolant inside the jacket thus causing an overheat which the temp gauge isn't picking up for some reason?

If it is the water pump then obviously the effect would be the same... but can they fail (i.e. stop pumping) without leaking? As they are toothed then that seems unlikely. As far as I know there is no sign of leakage anywhere, however I will check again tomorrow.

Sorry if I sound a bit lost. The last car I worked on regularly was my old '67 Minx, and I really understood how that car worked and could do just about anything to it (I still have it, by the way, though it's not run since '92.) I do miss a nice simple RWD engine layout, with everything mounted on the outside and easy to get at!