Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th January 2019, 16:03   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool 1st Mini Tour of 2019 starts.....................

....................................... tomorrow with the Bear taking on the trip, should have been Banana but as she is a tad unwell, so the Bear has steppedin. Yes, I know I can take Redfive, and it would be cheaper, but the Bear needs a good run. And it will be the last time the Bear will travelling North to London.

Only going to be away for a few days. There two reasons for travelling up to London, one is for me to attend a very important appointment at one of our fine hospitals. After this visit everything will be finally transferred to similar hospital down this neck of the woods.
Second reason is to finally wind up the business I have been involved with the last 10 years, I have been what is called a sleeping partner. But the times are a changing and I have decided to call it a day.
But I have to attend in person to sign the last of the papers and collect my cheque.

But tomorrow we will be attending the breakfast meet at Frimley on our way up to my brother in laws in Totteridge North London.
Monday will see us in Central London, but on the tube. Free travel comes in handy. If i’m Back in time then I’ll attend the North London MG Club evening at the Botany Bay cricket club near Enfield.
Tuesday morning is spare but in the afternoon is another appointment which the second part is on Wednesday morning.

The plan is then to travel back home Wednesday afternoon.

So should you see, or in this case hear, us then don’t forget to wave toot or flash those shiny headlights. I have notified the fuel stations on the route which is,
from Saltash on the A38-M5-A30-A303 and onto the M3 as far as junction 4 and turn off to Frimley.
Once we leave then back onto the M3 and around to the Car Park aka M25. We come off at South Mimms and onto the A1 and onto Totteridge.

I’ll keep the diary going as I know we have a few followers.

Starting mileage is 55,800.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 16:36   #2
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
....................................... tomorrow with the Bear taking on the trip, should have been Banana but as she is a tad unwell, so the Bear has steppedin. Yes, I know I can take Redfive, and it would be cheaper, but the Bear needs a good run. And it will be the last time the Bear will travelling North to London.

Only going to be away for a few days. There two reasons for travelling up to London, one is for me to attend a very important appointment at one of our fine hospitals. After this visit everything will be finally transferred to similar hospital down this neck of the woods.
Second reason is to finally wind up the business I have been involved with the last 10 years, I have been what is called a sleeping partner. But the times are a changing and I have decided to call it a day.
But I have to attend in person to sign the last of the papers and collect my cheque.

But tomorrow we will be attending the breakfast meet at Frimley on our way up to my brother in laws in Totteridge North London.
Monday will see us in Central London, but on the tube. Free travel comes in handy. If i’m Back in time then I’ll attend the North London MG Club evening at the Botany Bay cricket club near Enfield.
Tuesday morning is spare but in the afternoon is another appointment which the second part is on Wednesday morning.

The plan is then to travel back home Wednesday afternoon.

So should you see, or in this case hear, us then don’t forget to wave toot or flash those shiny headlights. I have notified the fuel stations on the route which is,
from Saltash on the A38-M5-A30-A303 and onto the M3 as far as junction 4 and turn off to Frimley.
Once we leave then back onto the M3 and around to the Car Park aka M25. We come off at South Mimms and onto the A1 and onto Totteridge.

I’ll keep the diary going as I know we have a few followers.

Starting mileage is 55,800.
What’s the matter with the Yellow one Bob.

Rev

Sorry Bob should get out more INERTIA.

Last edited by Rev Jules; 12th January 2019 at 16:38..
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 17:36   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
What’s the matter with the Yellow one Bob.

Rev

Sorry Bob should get out more INERTIA.
Tsk! Tsk! I need to spend my heating allowance on fuel for the Bear.

onen hag oll
Old 12th January 2019, 18:34   #4
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

See you tomorrow Bob....I'll hear you coming
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 20:13   #5
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

Travel safe bob and remember more smiles is less miles and yes I grin all the time in the bear lol lol
Old 13th January 2019, 14:25   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Cracking trip up from home to.....................

.................................. breakfast meet in Frimley. Left at 6am and got to the pub in 2 hours and 55 minutes. Only stopped for those pesky red traffic lights.
The Bear took it all in her stride. Mostly we was able to travel at Warp Factor 3 where applicable. Obviously keeping to the speed limits through the villages and keeping an eye out for the various local photographic societies aka speed cameras.

Best time of the day to get past Stonehenge before 8am, no traffic around till we hit the M3. Till then only 5 cars got past us and pretty sure one of them was unmarked police car.
Turned into the pub car park to find a few of the others already there. For a time we was the only MG there but then Justin turned up with his Silver MG V8 saloon.
Cracking breakfast, and mine was paid for by Keith. Such a gent, many thanks. Plenty of chatter.

Then it was time to get some photo’s and have a look at the cars. Nice to see Cliff’s car shining like a beacon. I had a lengthy chat with Nora, Cliffs other half, we talked about Cornwall mainly. I showed some photo’s, no not those.
Keith showed me some polish that had been handmade, smelt like fresh flowers and came in a box similar to what a Rolex would come in. Nobby pointed out it was for your body and not the cars.
Not sure about the idea of the leg wax though.

The car park was filling up with the lunchtime trade so that was our excuse to leave. Left at Noon and headed back towards the M3 with the other V8 following. Slow moving on the M3 with a car broken down in the left hand lane but everyone avoided that. Both V8’s were able to keep together and slice through the traffic.
The M25 was running ok, no variable speed limits anywhere. Justin turned off onto the M40 and we carried on to Michaels. Finally pulling up on the drive at 13.35.

The Bear had travelled a total of 232 miles and we still have over a quarter of a tank left. And she never missed a beat. We did see 4 MG3’s and 1 MG ZR.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 13th January 2019 at 14:52..
Old 14th January 2019, 18:03   #7
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool I had forgotten how busy London is.......................

........................................ and have seen something that totally amazed me.

After the busy day yesterday it was not long before my body cried enough. So After we had a bite to eat I had to call it a day. Think I was asleep before my head touched the pillow. Slept fairly well, my bladder woke me up about 3am but after that it was gone 7am before I surfaced again.
Into the slowest shower, the water runs down the drain quicker. But it revived me. Dressed and downstairs to get my tea and a bit of toast.

It was 2 pots of tea later before I saw Michael. I know he is a bit eccentric at times but he was in his element this morning. In between getting his breakfast ready he put out the bins and started to dismantle his Xmas tree. Yup! It’s still alive. So after his first course, salmon and a fried egg, he went onto toast and marmalade. Meanwhile I just drank my tea. Foolish move by me drinking all that tea.

My hospital appointment was at 11.45, and the time was fast approaching for me to leave. But Michael wanted to come with me, so that delayed me a bit but then we was on our way. The Northern Line, on the tube, is the best way to go. Don’t even think about going by car.
We got there with about 15 minutes to spare. I handed over my paperwork and went to sit down but the nurse called out my name straight away. I never asked a Michael to come in with me, he just followed me in. I had visions of the hospital keeping him in. Oh! The thoughts that go through your mind are endless.
I got the news I was not expecting. But, hey ho life goes on. I’ll be around a bit longer than expected.

We left the hospital and went in search of some liquid refreshment. One of our favourite London pubs is the Founders Arms on the South Bank. Sits between the the Tate Modern and Blackfriars Station. We both have fond memories of this place. All those memories include “our” Val. Had a few laughs here. Eaten a few meals and supped many a pint.
It is a Youngs house but what did they have on draught? None other than ‘Proper Job’ brewed in St.Austell. I just had to have a pint or two.
I had forgotten how busy London is. Pushing and shoving, so many foreign languages.

But what took the biscuit was the busker at Blackfriars station. No change? Then just touch your phone to the terminal to make a £1 donation. Unbelievable. But then this is progress I suppose.
We chatted in the pub about what had transpired, over another pint accompanied with some chips. The weather was mild, even some blue sky in places.
Time to send our way was soon upon us. Michael suggested we should just pop into the Sir John Betjelman at St.Pancras station, sits next door to the Eurostar terminal.

There is a huge stature depicting a scene from the film “Close Encounter” outside the pub. If I thought the Founders Arms was expensive then I was in for a shock here. They have brew done for them by the Rock brewery, based across the river from Padstow. Had to have 2 pints then. No change from a Tenner. £5 a pint. Gawd! Guvnor! Bless my cotton socks, or words to that effect.
We sat outside, on the platform opposite the Eurostar trains. So that was another couple pints plus crisps before we went home.

Oh! My! How I have missed the rudeness of people on the tube. Another reason for me not to travel back to London in the future. We did eventually get a seat, and a Michael instantly fell asleep. I remembered that my mobile had pipped earlier so I spent the journey checking my messages.
As we got near to the station, Totteridge & Whetstone, I had to give Michael a nudge.
Indoors now for a spot of grub. Tea or beer? Beer I think Asti know how long a Michael lets the tea brew in the pot.

Another big day tomorrow for me though. Michael has to go to work.
And I get to drive the Bear.

Thanks for reading, and the pm’s.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 14th January 2019 at 19:51.. Reason: One Z too many
Old 14th January 2019, 22:02   #8
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I’ll be around a bit longer than expected.
^^^^^^THIS is what counts!^^^^^^

The rest of the story was great, too, though!

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 14:22   #9
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
^^^^^^THIS is what counts!^^^^^^

The rest of the story was great, too, though!

Cheers,
Glenn
Very true Glenn bob will be around a long time yet I’ll keep him active and on his toes now he’s had the good news lol lol
Old 15th January 2019, 22:15   #10
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Painting the ceiling in Westminster Abbey.................

................................................. must be easier than watching Michael changing a light bulb. Took him nigh on 30 minutes to change 2 halogen bulbs in the kitchen. With me having to hold onto the step ladders, and trying not to laugh. One bulb fell out and broke on the floor, and he still wanted to see if it still worked back in the fitting. Alas it didn’t.

After yesterday I went to bed fairly early last night. Really felt drained, not drunk after the 4 pints. Just plain tired.
Must have done me some good as it was the first time that I actually slept 7 hours straight. It was only my bladder that woke me up. After a visit to the small room I returned and got back into bed. Nice and cosy and in no hurry to get up. Totally unusual for me. Once up I would normally get showered but not today.
I did eventually get up and got myself into the trickling shower.

Dressed and downstairs to get my tea and toast. I was on my second pot before Michael appeared and thus the light bulb saga began. 7 years ago Michael had a new kitchen installed along with these new halogen spotlights, 8 of them all in one central cluster. 2 lights were not on. And after we had finished we still had two lights not working. So that looks like a electrician will need to be called in.
Finished off my tea and then I left to get on with my day.

First thing was to let the Bear warm up before pulling away, with a loud growl we was off. First stop was to get some go-go juice. Not desperate for fuel as we still had quarter tank. But I don’t like to let the needle get too low. Then it was the slow crawl to Enfield. Took me 1 hour to go 8 miles. I had travelled nearly 6 miles before I even managed to get into top gear.
Played hunt the parking space round where Emma lives, but parked up and into the flat. Did not stay too long as needed to get into Waltham Cross and into the phone shop.

Glad I got Emma to go with me, she got me a good deal on my New huge phone and they gave me another tablet as a goodwill gift, I was only 2 years over getting a upgrade. Will take me awhile getting used to the new phone so bear with me if you are expecting a call or should you get an unexpected call from me it might be a mistake.
I was fascinated by how they transferred all my contacts, emails, photo’s and other bits from one phone to the other.

Then we left and went onto our next stop off. Dunelms in Enfield to get my “Poppy” glasses. Long straight glasses with a “Poppy” design. I had 4 that I took to Cornwall with me from Barkingside. One broke on the journey and I managed to break two more at home. So getting these was a bonus.
We stopped off in the cafe for coffee and cake. Plus a chat about things.
Emma has been a great support over the last 7 years and I’ll always be grateful to her. Then it was time to drop her off then continue onto my business meet.

That meeting went better than I thought. I sold my share of the investment/business to the other three colleagues whom I have worked with over the last 12 years. I started off just as an investor to actually “working” out in the field on a couple of assignments.
It is a photographic/advertising/promotional business. It used to be good as when it started the world of digital photography was in its infancy but now with people having phones that take, and alter, photo’s. Once upon a time it was always stated ‘that the camera never lied’, but not now.

The work started to dry up about 2 years ago, and that was where I thought I would sell up. Of course I had other issues to deal with in between including the various health issues of mine., plus moving. The other 3 colleagues have decided to carry on. They have a new ‘business structure’ in hand. They did let me have a copy of the new contract to look at but I decided I would leave it to them.
We will remain friends and I wish them well in their new venture. Will I get tempted back, I doubt it.

We parted with a shake of hands and I battled the traffic back to Michaels. We were going up to the Orange Tree for our evening meal. But first could I help him with another job. Not more light bulbs surely!!!! No, it was time to take the Xmas tree down and plant it, yes plant it, in the back garden. He had already dug the hole. Now you people that buy the fresh trees will know that when you take the tree into the house it normally has either a mesh or plastic sheaf holding the branches up and tight to the trunk. I know not all trees come like this.

But once the sheaf is removed and the tree is allowed to stretch it’s branches, getting the perishing thing back out is absolute pain especially in Michaels house. Which is full of stuff.
“Can you mange the tree Bob? I’ll go ahead and open the doors”. Well it was a struggle but I managed to get it into the hall. Still had the kitchen to go through, and under the glare from the kitchen lights. Into the back garden, which was now in darkness, there are no lights in the garden. Trees yes, lights no. I gave the tree to Michael. When I got back into the house there was a trail of needles.

Michael come back in mumbling about not being able to see the hole he had dug.
So after sweeping up the needles we retired to the pub.
Couple of pints of “Doom Bar” and food were soon dispatched. The manager came over and wished us both a Happy New Year and gave us a glass of single malt each on the house. What a nice gesture to round off the last few days.

Tomorrow sees me going to visit a friend for breakfast, pre-arranged appointment at 10am, before I set off back home.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 16th January 2019 at 18:29.. Reason: Changed