Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th December 2017, 14:52   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Power steering fluid leak

I'm having to address a significant power steering fluid leak now that it is a MOT fail rather than an advisory. Car is a 130k mile KV6.

The underside of the engine and suspension etc on the offside is blathered in fluid, as are the pulleys and auxilliary drive belt. Yet I cannot see a leak with the engine running and working the steering. The area around the pump does not seem wet enough to prove that the pump is leaking.

So any ideas? What are the more usual sources of leaks we can expect on a Rover, steering rack seals? pipes? (which appear unavailable from Rimmers), pump? Obviously I don't want to strip off more than I have to, but have made a start with a pump, actually from a spare engine as practise.

With this in mind, I question why Haynes says to slacken the three pulley screws. Also, surely it's only necessary to remove the upper ally casting of the engine mount to access the lower pump screw and also to remove the auxilliary belt enough? This would negate the need to remove the road wheel and wing lining.

Any advice and suggestions would be most welcome, it's too cold to be doing more than necessary at this time of year.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 15:55   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If the belts are wet with the fluid then likely the shaft seal on the pump has gone. This happened on mine, but it had done fair few more miles than your one.

The reason Haynes tells you to loosen the 3 pulley bolts is that once the belt is off the pulley is free to move, making undoing the bolts more tricky.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 18:18   #3
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If the belts are wet with the fluid then likely the shaft seal on the pump has gone. This happened on mine, but it had done fair few more miles than your one.

The reason Haynes tells you to loosen the 3 pulley bolts is that once the belt is off the pulley is free to move, making undoing the bolts more tricky.
I did suspect the shaft seal, but expected more evidence, however, taking the pump off for a check and service is the easiest thing to do first, so that what I'll do. Probably just fit the spare which has no leaks just a slight misting at the gasket.

I also need to check the pipes for chafing as suggested in related posts.

I did wonder about the need to slacken the pulley nuts only to aid later removal of it, though the wording in Haynes could have been clearer. Certainly not necessary for pump removal, I see three round hole in the pulley line up with the bolt heads!
Old 4th December 2017, 18:55   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

When I did mine, if I remember correctly, the pulley had to come off to get the pump out. It was the diesel though - I've yet to work on a KV6.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 19:21   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Mine is a diesel, so not sure if it will affect your the same way. When it did let go, it was quite catastrophic, spraying everywhere, and losing a 500ml in less than a minute! However, your may be a small hole where mine went, so worth looking?

Just 6 inches back towards the engine from the cooler, the pipe had slid across onto the AC pulley, along the front subframe. If it is same on the V6 it may have just rubbed against it, and since vibrated away again?

from above

and after replacement fitted (tied to the subframe with a section of old pipe used as an insulator)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 22:21   #6
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Found it was the pump leaking badly from the spindle seal area. Front of the engine soaked. Taking the opportunity to replace all cambelts, thermostat (there is also a water leak), and the brake pipe to the OSF wheel which runs behind the engine as the access is better with the plastic manifold removed.
Old 29th January 2018, 05:02   #7
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

My story: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=216520
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2018, 07:51   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts