Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2018, 06:31   #1
ROVER2003

Post Land Rover Discovery

okay do not say i am lying but i got my land rover bike back but lately I've been looking at land rover as i want to start off roading and starting to like land rover like i like rover 75's i do not know if i should get rid of my mgf or rover as the rover is a everyday used car but mg not need advice please help
Old 21st February 2018, 06:42   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER2003 View Post
okay do not say i am lying but i got my land rover bike back but lately I've been looking at land rover as i want to start off roading and starting to like land rover like i like rover 75's i do not know if i should get rid of my mgf or rover as the rover is a everyday used car but mg not need advice please help
Is that the bike that was taken by mistake for donation? Well done for getting it back.

I have no experience with the Land Rover/Range Rover 4x4's. Same company and running gear isn't it? Anyway, over here the Discovery and sister Range Rovers have a dismal reliability record. I keep seeing the Freelander with the M47R diesel mentioned here. That might be a better bet as there seems to be lots of knowledge here (in this forum) about them. MGF or Rover 75? Hard to say - different class of cars. You're young so sometime soon you'll have to start paying for insurance. Check how much for each car.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 07:35   #3
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

2.8 Pajero, tried and tested to eventual destruction after 50k miles off road use.
Old 21st February 2018, 08:33   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

No experience myself but had a relative who was a fitter for LR RR, and he said they were trash. You may be better off with a LR series 2/3 or Defender 110.
As Glenn has stated though get insurance quotes before you make any decisions.
Old 21st February 2018, 08:56   #5
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

I use to help teach off roading RPWC has hit the head on the nail with the series 2/3 defender 90/110 better ground clearance than R/R or Freelander.
if you are building one just for off road use a lot have restyled the Suzuki SJ,s
just depends how radical you want to go & how aggressive the off roading will be.
Old 21st February 2018, 09:50   #6
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philm View Post
if you are building one just for off road use a lot have restyled the Suzuki SJ,s
just depends how radical you want to go & how aggressive the off roading will be.
I agree, I used to compete in RTV (Road Taxed Vehicles) with a Suzuki SJ410, and then 'upgraded' to a Class 1 in a highly modified Suzuki LJ80

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 10:07   #7
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

My Father in Law has a 2014 Discovery v6 diesel, not sure if this is the model you are looking at, but on the weekend when talking about cars he simply said "Land rovers; they are expensive to run"
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 10:26   #8
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

I would keep the 75. In the long term you can do more with that car than the Land Rover. My friend is a true mud plugger and his toy is a real money pit which he loves to spend on it BUT cant use the thing on the normal roads. So most of the time it sits on the drive way with him under the bonnet tinkering. At least with my toy (MG ZTT) I can use as my daily drive and I am always smiling. I personally can see the investment I have made in my car every time I drive rather sitting on the drive way.
Old 21st February 2018, 10:58   #9
jonno12
Posted a thing or two

rover75 saloon connie

definitely keep the 75 for practical reason, more useful than the tf, but ur choice ur car as for 4x4 offroading, if u r bent on landrover I would go 4 the older model discovery I've seen some really good ones advertised already done up with hired springs & snorkel etc etc no point in spending
fortunes on later mk 3/4 but only my humble opinion
jonno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 12:46   #10
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

You are not alone going down that route. As said, the decision depends on how much you are into it. I went for a Freelander II a year ago as a replacement for my tourer. Its a fabulous motor and I felt it was the correct choice that compromised price,fuel economy,maintenance cost and reliability very well. Many claims that the FLII is not a real LR, but at least a lot more car than the first generation and stands up for most jobs you need it for. I know its at least 3 FLII owners in this forum. You should test drive one before making your decision

Last edited by beinet1; 21st February 2018 at 12:51..
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote