Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th July 2018, 19:52   #1
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Default 2.0 KV6 with several issues - Need advice :)

Hi all,

I had a visit yesterday of a friend who recently has acquired a nicely -2000 Saloon with a 2.0 V6 engine. I went through the car to give the owner a technical status of the car and found most common wear parts in good order. Most things I found was typical Rover related issues. I have made a list over the issues. I have probably already the answers of a couple of these issues, but hope your experience can shed some more light and advice on how to proceed. All feedback would be greatly appreciated. So, here we go:

Issue #1 - Traction control
Traction control light illuminated. The car had a traction control issue earlier but the previous owner replaced the TC actuator with a good known BMW unit. The TC worked fine then, but has now stopped working. The wire and cogs on the unit seems fine, but the unit does not run its self test when the ignition is turned on. We swapped over a working unit from my car just to test, but the issue still remains the same. Can anyone shed some light over this issue? The ABS system is working OK. Does anyone has a wiring diagram over the TC system?

Issue #2 - Radiator fan
The radiator fan runs constantly on high speed when AC is activated. It has been pretty hot outside the last weeks, so we will wait with the final diagnosis until we have tested it under more normal temperatures. Worn brushes is expected. What is the best option regarding replacement fan units? I see OEM units are available for £200ish + shipping, but hope to see that Jules are still in the trade for alternative solutions.

Issue #3 - VIS motors shoot
I tested the VIS motor with my VIS tester and found both shoot. I think Stocktake`s replacement units would be the best option.

Issue #4 - Crankcase breather hoses broken
We found several breaks in the plastic crankcase hoses under the top engine cover which was fixed with tape. Where is the best place to obtain these?
Edit: Found the hoses here at rimmers, item 1 and 3: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001700

Issue #5 - Engine feels low on power.
Just think that this might be related to issue #3 and #4. Need to sort these first.

Issue #6 - Resonance / "wrong noise" from exhaust.
I noticed that the sound from the exhaust was to load/wrong. I could not find any leaks in the exhaust system, but we found an after marked "walker" back box fitted. I think that I have read somewhere that this is an issue whit after marked back boxes and only the genuine item does the job correctly. I see that this genuine unit is not available anymore. What are the best options here?
Edit: The answer seems to be here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...hlight=backbox So, Klarius back boxes is the best option at the moment??

Last edited by beinet1; 29th July 2018 at 06:52..
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 06:53   #2
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi,

I probably have found the answer to most issues after some searching. Now only the Traction control which is the issue which I need some more advice on.

Updates added to issues in main post.
Old 29th July 2018, 08:13   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

While the carbon brushes are available from ECP UK, their postage rates to Europe are unreasonably high. I get the brushes I need here: https://www.old-germany.de/ecommerce...g2s1smq9p6pq86

Poster hrissim has generously shared these: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=280437

I have new Stocktake VIS motors here in Gävle and supply the Swedish club (and some Danes), sending the new units first and expecting the old ones returned within a couple of weeks. If interested PM me.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 08:46   #4
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Hi,

I probably have found the answer to most issues after some searching. Now only the Traction control which is the issue which I need some more advice on.

Updates added to issues in main post.
Why not amend the ZCS coding and the warning light will disappear. Never saw the point with traction control tbh.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 17:41   #5
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Why not amend the ZCS coding and the warning light will disappear. Never saw the point with traction control tbh.
What does this do - disable the entire TCS system?

Thanks,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 20:00   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Think I’ll hang on to mine as our winters are 6 months long and while initially I thought it a dumb system which just strangles the airflow, it seems a bit more complicated than just that. The traction control ABS has an additional 4 valves compared to the standard one. It also asks the main ECU to adjust the torque if both of the drive wheels are outside expected parameters. Just as standard ABS the TC system will compare all four sensors and restrict the one reporting outside expected parameters.

But also if one of the drive wheels starts spinning and is outside the expected parameters, the ABS ECU will brake that wheel and at the same time transfer the torque to the other drive wheel by use of the diff.

So if you're stuck will one wheel in the snow, the TC should brake the spinning wheel and transfer drive to the free wheel. Ideal if it works as it should.

Sounds the sort of thing that could be useful in long Scandinavia winters even after 40 years of driving here.

Sorry if the language is a bit stilted, my translate from the Swedish Tekniskt kompendium (Technical Brochure).

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2018, 21:42   #7
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Think I’ll hang on to mine as our winters are 6 months long and while initially I thought it a dumb system which just strangles the airflow, it seems a bit more complicated than just that. The traction control ABS has an additional 4 valves compared to the standard one. It also asks the main ECU to adjust the torque if both of the drive wheels are outside expected parameters. Just as standard ABS the TC system will compare all four sensors and restrict the one reporting outside expected parameters.

But also if one of the drive wheels starts spinning and is outside the expected parameters, the ABS ECU will brake that wheel and at the same time transfer the torque to the other drive wheel by use of the diff.

So if you're stuck will one wheel in the snow, the TC should brake the spinning wheel and transfer drive to the free wheel. Ideal if it works as it should.

Sounds the sort of thing that could be useful in long Scandinavia winters even after 40 years of driving here.

Sorry if the language is a bit stilted, my translate from the Swedish Tekniskt kompendium (Technical Brochure).

Regards
With limited torque from the 2.0lt KV6 I don’t think you will have much of an issue with wheelspin in slippy conditions given that you are required to fit winter tyres from November to March.
Old 30th July 2018, 00:51   #8
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post

Regards
That's what I was thinking when I asked if the ZCS code change was meant to disable the TCS. We get real winters here, too, and while TCS is not at all necessary if one knows how to drive in snow/ice conditions, it sure can help.

So, does that disable the TCS?

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 08:41   #9
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
That's what I was thinking when I asked if the ZCS code change was meant to disable the TCS. We get real winters here, too, and while TCS is not at all necessary if one knows how to drive in snow/ice conditions, it sure can help.

So, does that disable the TCS?

Cheers,
Glenn
Yes rewriting the ZCS codes without the option will disable Traction control and remove the malfunction warning from the Instrument pack display.
Old 1st August 2018, 09:39   #10
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi all,

We will try to get the TC system up and running again. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the TC system?