Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th November 2020, 13:34   #1
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Default Rear caliper piston diameter?

Hi,

Anybody knows the diameter of the piston in the rear brake caliper for the 1.8 NASP cars? Need to source a repair kit.
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 13:58   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Hi,

Anybody knows the diameter of the piston in the rear brake caliper for the 1.8 NASP cars? Need to source a repair kit.
They should be 36mm. THESE, i found were the best after trying Bigg Red's which had no flexibility on the seals - with one even splitting as it stretched over the piston.

with further info HERE

(the 190s etc use a larger 40mm)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 15th November 2020 at 14:02..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 21:24   #3
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

I couldn't be chewed messing on cleaning up the rusty old caliper, especially as the bleed screw had been snapped off by a previous owner, so I bought one of these

LINK

What is not to like?, a five year guarantee, a direct fit, and shiny plating

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 21:37   #4
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post
I couldn't be chewed messing on cleaning up the rusty old caliper, especially as the bleed screw had been snapped off by a previous owner, so I bought one of these

LINK

What is not to like?, a five year guarantee, a direct fit, and shiny plating

Alf
What's not to like? Answer: Like many he just deals with UK customers. Poster lives in Norway, nice price of the brake calliper but won't post to Sweden so I doubt he'll send it to Norway.

I see it so often that it's annoying, Arctic frequently posts about good deals on eBay, I have a look at the typically genuine Unipart spares and of course ... won't post abroad. Don't mind paying the extra stamps but not even considered.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 22:36   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
What's not to like? Answer: Like many he just deals with UK customers. Poster lives in Norway, nice price of the brake calliper but won't post to Sweden so I doubt he'll send it to Norway.

I see it so often that it's annoying, Arctic frequently posts about good deals on eBay, I have a look at the typically genuine Unipart spares and of course ... won't post abroad. Don't mind paying the extra stamps but not even considered.

Regards
try living in Northern Ireland or parts of Scotland lol! It is still part of the UK but some UK sellers/couriers do not believe it to be (I know the reasons behind it though). Royal Mail I believe are the only ones who do, and price accordingly.

But from the link I sent, there are part numbers listed for the Budweg products. With this, you and Bienet should be able to find somewhere relatively local (Budweg are a Danish company). The Budweg caliper I bought a few years ago, was identical to the original, including the stamped numbering on the body.

Brakes Int when I got mine, supplied the Budweg 190 calipers new for £75 each and the rears for the diesel (same as the rears on a 1.8) again new for £65 per pair! I was kicking myself, as I could have bought all four for roughly what I paid for second hand, and what it cost me to refurbish myself (4x rebuild kits with pistons, sandblasting, paint)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2020, 06:49   #6
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Thanks for your replies

As this is a low cost project, replacing the caliper is the last solution. I have rebuilt several calipers using new seals. A dismantling, cleanup and assembly is often what it takes to make it work properly again, often without replacing the seals if these are not damaged. Could only be done if there is no severe corrosion on the piston but these are also available separately. I got the seal kit make "Fren part" from a local supplier for 75NOK (approx 6.25GBP), so just waiting for the mailman to com with this one + LH control arm + bush. Making progress
Old 25th November 2020, 13:56   #7
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Thanks for your replies

As this is a low cost project, replacing the caliper is the last solution. I have rebuilt several calipers using new seals. A dismantling, cleanup and assembly is often what it takes to make it work properly again, often without replacing the seals if these are not damaged. Could only be done if there is no severe corrosion on the piston but these are also available separately. I got the seal kit make "Fren part" from a local supplier for 75NOK (approx 6.25GBP), so just waiting for the mailman to com with this one + LH control arm + bush. Making progress
Postage was slow this time Did not had time to wait, so I stripped the caliper, cleaned it up and put it together with the old seals. Working nicely now. No brake binding on that wheel anymore. I had some old control arm bushes laying around, so I transferred the best bush from a RH bracket over to a LH bracket with the workshop press. Then onto the car with a new control arm. Car mot-ed today and passed! Bringing the car back onto the road after two years stand- still