Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2020, 07:51   #11
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Courtesy of French Mike you can check all the ABS sensors and magnetic reluctors in the wheel bearings using a voltmeter.

The signal voltage changes from 1.7V to 0.7V as each magnetic segment passes the sensor, so jack each wheel in turn and slowly rotate it marking the switch points on the tyre wall with chalk. You should end up with 48 chalk marks. As you can see from the second photo my offside rear wheel sensor was missing quite a few segments, caused by rust damaging the magnetic reluctor. First photo shows what the sensor should be picking up.

If any gaps are in the same place each revolution then likely a damaged reluctor, and if in random places suspect the sensor or possibly a slightly too big air gap.

Mike Noc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 09:41   #12
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Thanks for that

A new sensor is on order, so will try out that first. My gut feeling and TOAF says that is the problem... Time will show
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2020, 21:35   #13
biggles-1

MG Saloon + MG Tourer

I do not know if this information is applicable to the Rover 75, but I suspect it may be.

I recently bought a MG ZTT 2004 and managed to drive it home, to be my "winter-project" (cam belts, waterpump, pulleys, thermostate, brake disks a s o). So my knowledge is limited on this car model since I have only driven it once.

However I rember the seller telling me that he had problem with the ABS fault light coming on, as well.

In the process of ordering new ABS sensors, he was told to check a connector/cables under the drivers seat. It turned out that the connectors had fallen apart/was loose and when reconnected, the ABS fault light was turned off. This happened several times to the seller and he it solved each time by reconnecting the connectors/cables.

When I picked up my car the ABS fault light was not on, so I have not been able to check/test it myself. So please take my info for what it is and if lucky it may be the solution.

Regards Nils
Old 13th December 2020, 08:31   #14
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles-1 View Post
I do not know if this information is applicable to the Rover 75, but I suspect it may be.

I recently bought a MG ZTT 2004 and managed to drive it home, to be my "winter-project" (cam belts, waterpump, pulleys, thermostate, brake disks a s o). So my knowledge is limited on this car model since I have only driven it once.

However I rember the seller telling me that he had problem with the ABS fault light coming on, as well.

In the process of ordering new ABS sensors, he was told to check a connector/cables under the drivers seat. It turned out that the connectors had fallen apart/was loose and when reconnected, the ABS fault light was turned off. This happened several times to the seller and he it solved each time by reconnecting the connectors/cables.

When I picked up my car the ABS fault light was not on, so I have not been able to check/test it myself. So please take my info for what it is and if lucky it may be the solution.

Regards Nils
Welcome and thanks for taking the time to post. The seller unfortunately was given the wrong information or mixed up the SRS and ABS system as it’s the SRS light that comes on in the event of a poor connection under the seats. The ABS wiring doesn’t go anywhere near the seats.

You are also most welcome to join our local 75 owners FB group, link here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1800705170206717

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2020, 09:17   #15
biggles-1

MG Saloon + MG Tourer

Thank you Vitesse for your response.

As you write it must have been a communication glitch from the seller or me not paying attention. I still have to experience the fault myself :-).

Fortunatly my purchase included almost all spare parts needed for my upcoming upgrade including new ABS sensors. So will see how the sensors looks when coming that far. I will start by changing the cam belts and items related.

I will definately look into your FB group.

Regards Nils
Old 14th December 2020, 05:56   #16
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi All,

New sensor arrived last friday (make ESKV). Got this one fitted yesterday. Cleared fault codes with TOAF prior to test drive. Did a short drive and checked for fault codes. None Issue seems to be solved.

The old sensor separated when trying to pull it out of the rear hub, so had to remove brake disc and bearing to be able to punch out the rest of the sensor and clean up the bore so the new one went in nicely. Also managed to break the clip holding the cable to the rear arm, so needed to secure it with strips to the handbrake cable instead. Have to look for replacement clips...
Also found it hard to fit the grommet where the cable went through the body. Not happy with this at the moment, so need to do another try later. Grommet seems to be of a plastic material instead of rubber, so hard to get it "flexing" into place. The grommet for the other side is also not in place. Seems both rear sensors have been replaced at some time. Old RH was make "Delphi". LH does not have the same marking on its cable but looking at the grommet and how the connectors was placed, is evidence enough that it has been replaced.
Except for grommet and clip, all is good for now

P.S. Clip is part no: SYC101000A

Last edited by beinet1; 14th December 2020 at 06:12..
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote