Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th May 2020, 17:02   #1
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts
Default Just an informative post on a car battery supplier

Sometime ago a colleague of mine needed a new battery for his Rover 75 Diesel, and decided to purchase a new battery from a company called batteriesontheweb2011 on eBay it came with a standard three year guarantee, he said he paid £53 for it and it was a type 096, well after it being on his car for approximately 18 months, I decided whilst I was working on it to remove the battery and test it, this is what I found using my tester, I must say I was quite surprised for such a cheap battery it appears to be of good quality, it was rated at 640CCA but produced 786CCA and had 12.7 volts this is not a personal recommendation, and nor am I affiliated with this company in any way, however I thought that it might make interesting reading for people who are considering buying or needing a new battery for their car. Obviously it’s a budget option, as I would normally be of the opinion that Bosch or varta batteries in my opinion seem to be the best long term.
And having a Bosch battery on my cars I’ve always found them reliable, however I do appreciate that there are people who are struggling now with the financial implications of coronavirus and may be looking for a cost effective battery, hence the reason why I have uploaded this
Hope it helps someone
Mick

Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 18:00   #2
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Never heard of that make but then it’s not necessarily a problem. You have established that it could be a good buy at a budget price.
LION batteries I find are poor quality. My local MOT tester has the same opinion.
My real gripe with batteries is when they put a famous or well known name on it only to be a duff product.
Recently discovered ones are RAC and Duracell. We’ve all heard of both but are they any good?
My Scimitar failed to start on the 30th October one year just a day before I sorned it for the winter. RAC attended and tried to sell me a 063 battery for £85. I declined not just at the price but there was no point buying a new battery for just one day.
Come March I went to my local supplier and picked up Varta for just £51 inc vat.
My wife’s BMW had a Duracell battery. Changed it a week into ownership.
Old 15th December 2020, 13:18   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Well mine and Mrs Noc's batteries both bought the farm within a week of each other so thought I would buy a pair of these. The old ones were both Bosch S4s, one 9 years old and the other unknown as it came with a scrapper I bought.

When the new pair arrived they looked to be securely packaged - cardboard box with thick polystyrene panels and each battery enclosed in a sealed plastic bag. Unfortunately, as you can see from the photo, they forgot to cover the vent hole on one of them and lo and behold it must have travelled upside down for a bit and had leaked acid in the bag.

Let the supplier know and said to save returning it I'd be happy if they sent some electrolyte and I can top it back up or give me a bit of discount and I'll buy some myself.

Their response was to go round to my local garage and get them to top it up, or just use distilled water. I've always said you get to know how good a company is when things go wrong and in the past I've had some falling over themselves to sort things out. Not this time it would seem.

Will probably top it back up with some electrolyte from one of the old batteries, saves weakening the mix. Haven't left any Ebay feedback yet, still pondering how to phrase it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2020, 18:02   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Well mine and Mrs Noc's batteries both bought the farm within a week of each other so thought I would buy a pair of these. The old ones were both Bosch S4s, one 9 years old and the other unknown as it came with a scrapper I bought.

When the new pair arrived they looked to be securely packaged - cardboard box with thick polystyrene panels and each battery enclosed in a sealed plastic bag. Unfortunately, as you can see from the photo, they forgot to cover the vent hole on one of them and lo and behold it must have travelled upside down for a bit and had leaked acid in the bag.

Let the supplier know and said to save returning it I'd be happy if they sent some electrolyte and I can top it back up or give me a bit of discount and I'll buy some myself.

Quote:
Their response was to go round to my local garage and get them to top it up, or just use distilled water. I've always said you get to know how good a company is when things go wrong and in the past I've had some falling over themselves to sort things out. Not this time it would seem.
Will probably top it back up with some electrolyte from one of the old batteries, saves weakening the mix. Haven't left any Ebay feedback yet, still pondering how to phrase it.

Hi Mike.
Say it as it is battery leaked acid poor after sale service avoid

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2020, 18:10   #5
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Good heads up, if it does the job and stands the test of time, why not? Bought a Yuasa in August and it leaked from the top edge within weeks. It was replaced FOC of course and new one is fine.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2020, 22:20   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Mike.
Say it as it is battery leaked acid poor after sale service avoid

Cheers Steve - I was struggling a bit to get what I wanted to say in the word limit, but that says it all. Funnily enough I bought a sealed 12v battery from them a couple of weeks ago for my grandaughter's elecric tractor and that was fine. We all make mistakes, but I thought it a bit off that they didn't want to do anything to help rectify the problem.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 15th December 2020 at 22:28..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 06:01   #7
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Sometime ago a colleague of mine needed a new battery for his Rover 75 Diesel, and decided to purchase a new battery from a company called batteriesontheweb2011 on eBay it came with a standard three year guarantee, he said he paid £53 for it and it was a type 096, well after it being on his car for approximately 18 months, I decided whilst I was working on it to remove the battery and test it, this is what I found using my tester, I must say I was quite surprised for such a cheap battery it appears to be of good quality, it was rated at 640CCA but produced 786CCA and had 12.7 volts this is not a personal recommendation, and nor am I affiliated with this company in any way, however I thought that it might make interesting reading for people who are considering buying or needing a new battery for their car. Obviously it’s a budget option, as I would normally be of the opinion that Bosch or varta batteries in my opinion seem to be the best long term.
And having a Bosch battery on my cars I’ve always found them reliable, however I do appreciate that there are people who are struggling now with the financial implications of coronavirus and may be looking for a cost effective battery, hence the reason why I have uploaded this
Hope it helps someone
Mick

I have one of those testers! Handy bit of kit for customers cars.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 08:58   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I thought that Foxwell tester looks like a really useful bit of kit. Just the thing to tell you what's actually going on.

Then I Googled it and found out how much they are .

Much as I'd love one that's not going to happen for the odd times I'd use it.

The big question is there anything similar at a more affordable price OR is it a case of quality, reliable, accurate kit cost quality money

AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 09:17   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
I thought that Foxwell tester looks like a really useful bit of kit. Just the thing to tell you what's actually going on.

Quote:
Then I Googled it and found out how much they are .

Much as I'd love one that's not going to happen for the odd times I'd use it.

The big question is there anything similar at a more affordable price OR is it a case of quality, reliable, accurate kit cost quality money
Hi Andy.
Hint for Xmas present £30 is not to bad a bottle of aftershave can cost more.

https://www.wish.com/product/5d2b03e..._BwE&share=web

http://www.newcastlediagnostics.co.u...nalyzer-tester

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 17th December 2020 at 09:21..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 09:24   #10
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I bought mine from China not a bad price. Delivery 2 weeks approx. I buy most of my things from here👍
£23.56 24% Off | FOXWELL BT100 Pro 12V Car Battery Tester for Lead Acid Flooded AGM GEL 12V Digital Battery Analyzer 100-1100CCA Diagnostic Tool
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BPhvYb

This is also a great piece of kit. Handy and helps as the eyes aren’t as they used to be!
£3.73 43% Off | USB Rechargeable With Built-in Battery Set Multi Function Folding Work Light COB LED Camping Torch Flashlight
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BPUSaT
coab is offline   Reply With Quote