Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th December 2020, 17:39   #1
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Default Need new catalyctic converter - buying advice

Hi all,

Seems that the rattling catalyst converter issue has hit my 1.8 -99 this time. Similar to this one: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ling+converter

I am looking around for a new converter and not willing to pay a load of money as this is a low-budget car. Is the cheap Ebay ones like this one any good?: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CATALYTIC...705e%7Ciid%3A1

Also looking at the universal ones where the old one needs to be cut out and the new one welded in.

Would be grateful for any advice
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 20:07   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

In my experience cheap catalytic convertors rarely last longer than a year. I have fitted a couple for customers with old cars and one needs replacing every year for the test. The other lasted a couple of tests but was marginal on the second test and needed a lot of help to pass. The car has since been scrapped.

You might be better trying to find a good used original if such a thing exists.

I am also looking into the weld in types as I have a customer with a car that a catalyst is no longer available for. I would suggest you dont buy cheap as it will be a lot of work to replace if it needs doing again in 12 months.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2021, 20:24   #3
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
In my experience cheap catalytic convertors rarely last longer than a year. I have fitted a couple for customers with old cars and one needs replacing every year for the test. The other lasted a couple of tests but was marginal on the second test and needed a lot of help to pass. The car has since been scrapped.

You might be better trying to find a good used original if such a thing exists.

I am also looking into the weld in types as I have a customer with a car that a catalyst is no longer available for. I would suggest you dont buy cheap as it will be a lot of work to replace if it needs doing again in 12 months.
Thats some honest advice..

I have allready bougth an universal converter for welding in. Hope the quality of this one is good enough. I have lowered the complete exhaust from the car, cut out the old converter and is in the process of welding in the new one.
Old 2nd January 2021, 15:21   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Try drilling a hole in the side and screwing in a self tapping screw until it tightens against the cat innards. It will often stop the rattle for you for the cost of a screw! You may need to experiment with the screw length to avoid a long length sticking out! (If your emissions are OK that is!) Sometimes needs a blob of weld or exhaust sealant to fully seal.
Old 5th February 2021, 09:31   #5
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Well... Have had the universal welded in cat for a month now, but yesterday that one started rattling. Gutted about that... The local supplier will take it back for a full refund when I have cut it free, but a lot of hours wasted on that project....
Thinking the aftermarket alternative from rimmers would be my best bet now?: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCJ000522P
Old 5th February 2021, 09:54   #6
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Well... Have had the universal welded in cat for a month now, but yesterday that one started rattling. Gutted about that... The local supplier will take it back for a full refund when I have cut it free, but a lot of hours wasted on that project....
Thinking the aftermarket alternative from rimmers would be my best bet now?: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-WCJ000522P
Where did you get the universal one from? Could be good for members to know which one to avoid.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2021, 10:57   #7
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Where did you get the universal one from? Could be good for members to know which one to avoid.

Regards
BILTEMA 79-800, https://www.biltema.no/bil---mc/bild...sal-2000036935 !!

Thought the quality should be decent and great above cheap Ebay alternatives, but how wrong could I be...
Old 8th February 2021, 05:14   #8
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Had to stop looking around, so ordered the Rimmers aftermarket alternative. Hope this will put an end to this issue... :/