Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd January 2021, 02:40   #31
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulkhead View Post
Always listen to any of your brilliant advice to keep my 75 on the road, I am in awe of your knowledge, experience and determination to offer help. I was very sad when you retired, and delighted when you were back offering 75 advice.

As for this post, and others you have made recently about Covid, Well, while respecting your right to hold views and express them, I find that the experience of my friends and family leads me to very very different conclusions to many you appear to have reached.

I have friends who have fantastic children working for the NHS, they include paramedics, nurses and administrators, they are brave, resilient and determined to do everything they can to care for their patients, they are exhausted, some have been through Covid themselves, one has died, whilst you report that your local hospital is doing well, others are not, and I hope your hospital continues to cope, but it will only do so if people do all they can to stop the transmission, hands, face, space seems to be the best advice, or do you have better recommendations?

I would like to ask if you would have worn a mask if there had been another customer, or would have gone into the bank if there had been other customers not wearing masks?

Do you not think that the bank should have refused to serve you? I disagree with much of the “advice” from experts and ministers, but never break the law deliberately or knowingly.

If I had come into the bank and challenged you, how would you have responded?

I have my tin hat on awaiting responses, take care and stay safe.

Well as it happens Roy, I choose to wear a mask when shopping, simply to avoid having to explain myself to others, however I chose not to wear a mask when conducting a cash transaction in a bank, where it was obvious by looking through a plate glass window facing the street that I would be the only customer in the branch.

I realise it is mandated to wear a face mask in certain public spaces, however there are people for whatever reason are exempted from doing so.

If I had been challenged by a member of staff, or indeed if another customer had entered the branch and challenged me, I would have produced the card from my wallet pictured above.

Although dogeared, it is an official exemption card issued to me in June of last year.

These were primarily intended for users of public transport, as at the time of issue this was the only public place where mask wearing was mandated.

I accept that many people will throw up their hands in horror at the mere suggestion that an individual is being non compliant with the plethora of rules and regulations thrown out at seemingly random intervals by the powers that be at the moment, without giving due consideration to that persons individual circumstances.

In terms of mask wearing, if you see someone not wearing a mask, you simply give them a wide berth it is not at all difficult to do.

How many times have you seen people wearing a mask in a supermarket, often incorrectly, then simply reach over in front of you to grab an item from the shelf, without any regard for the invasion of your personal space?

So many people don a face covering and suddenly become impervious to danger....no but that is the sad reality of many people and their perception of their own invulnerability to Covid, not realising that the very thing set out in law to prevent transmission of this virus, is in part exacerbating the problem.

NHS, yes I applaud all of those involved in the front line of this organisation from the domestics and porters up to the chief executives of the trust and all of those in between.

If you follow my posts on this subject, you would realise I am married to an NHS front line worker, and further to that she is in charge of a ward that has been repurposed specifically to the care of Covid positive patients.

This gives me a very real insight as to the situation in regards to the local demands placed upon the local healthcare system and it's employees by Covid 19.

I realised I may have been vilified when I posted as I did, but to be fair I'm pretty fed up with the amount of speculation, and blatent untruths surrounding Covid.

And as a "recovered" Covid positive person currently involved in a study to better understand the virus and it's effects, I feel as if I'm contributing enough at the moment to counter any perceived negatives.

Any figures I quote in relation to Covid are collated in person from sources such as the ONS, PHE, or the SIREN program, and not simply "pub talk" if you can remember what a pub is of course

I'm not here simply being argumentative, however there is always another side to the story that often goes untold.

Oh and happy New Year everyone

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:30   #32
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Well as it happens Roy, I choose to wear a mask when shopping, simply to avoid having to explain myself to others, however I chose not to wear a mask when conducting a cash transaction in a bank, where it was obvious by looking through a plate glass window facing the street that I would be the only customer in the branch.

I realise it is mandated to wear a face mask in certain public spaces, however there are people for whatever reason are exempted from doing so.

If I had been challenged by a member of staff, or indeed if another customer had entered the branch and challenged me, I would have produced the card from my wallet pictured above.

Although dogeared, it is an official exemption card issued to me in June of last year.

These were primarily intended for users of public transport, as at the time of issue this was the only public place where mask wearing was mandated.

I accept that many people will throw up their hands in horror at the mere suggestion that an individual is being non compliant with the plethora of rules and regulations thrown out at seemingly random intervals by the powers that be at the moment, without giving due consideration to that persons individual circumstances.

In terms of mask wearing, if you see someone not wearing a mask, you simply give them a wide berth it is not at all difficult to do.

How many times have you seen people wearing a mask in a supermarket, often incorrectly, then simply reach over in front of you to grab an item from the shelf, without any regard for the invasion of your personal space?

So many people don a face covering and suddenly become impervious to danger....no but that is the sad reality of many people and their perception of their own invulnerability to Covid, not realising that the very thing set out in law to prevent transmission of this virus, is in part exacerbating the problem.

NHS, yes I applaud all of those involved in the front line of this organisation from the domestics and porters up to the chief executives of the trust and all of those in between.

If you follow my posts on this subject, you would realise I am married to an NHS front line worker, and further to that she is in charge of a ward that has been repurposed specifically to the care of Covid positive patients.

This gives me a very real insight as to the situation in regards to the local demands placed upon the local healthcare system and it's employees by Covid 19.

I realised I may have been vilified when I posted as I did, but to be fair I'm pretty fed up with the amount of speculation, and blatent untruths surrounding Covid.

And as a "recovered" Covid positive person currently involved in a study to better understand the virus and it's effects, I feel as if I'm contributing enough at the moment to counter any perceived negatives.

Any figures I quote in relation to Covid are collated in person from sources such as the ONS, PHE, or the SIREN program, and not simply "pub talk" if you can remember what a pub is of course

I'm not here simply being argumentative, however there is always another side to the story that often goes untold.

Oh and happy New Year everyone

Brian
Thanks for the further explanation and clarification, I hope that your reason for the need for mask exemption is not causing you too much distress. My wife has an exemption, she relies upon me to help her avoid going to settings where she might need a mask, we are all doing our best to avoid transmission.

As for your “very real insight” I (and I would think many others) have such insight too, and as I stated before my insight leads me to different conclusions to some of those you have posted on here. All of experiences are personal and valid.

I will not go into my story and how I am trying to do my best to get through this awful experience, but I will challenge respected members when they make posts that appear to me to be against our collective best interest. I will get it wrong sometimes, but will never knowingly encourage law breaking or wreck less behaviour, yes I could have avoided you choosing not to wear a mask, as you do in supermarkets, but if we are to relieve pressure on the NHS and avoid long term illness and death from this virus, we need to encourage better compliance to health recommendations.

If you had stated your reason for not wearing a mask was because you have an exemption, I would not have responded, although I cannot see why you would have needed to make the post in the first place setting out a number of your reasons but omitting to refer to your exemption. Your post as you reported it, I think, admitted that you felt it acceptable to break the law. Given your status with many members and the thanks you got for the post, I wanted to register a challenge to your actions and reasons for taking them. As I said, tin hat is on!

I respect your contributions towards the study, I and some of my friends also are making significant contributions towards supporting others through this, without needing to publish the details of how we are doing this.

I, too am pretty fed up with speculation and untruths, but hope I do not deliberately do anything for which I might be vilified. Let’s hope we all get our eyes tested at the opticians, rather than taking the kids for a spin!

Let’s hope it will be a happy new year, best wishes to you all.

Central locking has stopped working on driver’s door, would welcome any suggestions as to what I can do to fix. Just need to keep reminding myself that the reason I joined the forum was to keep this lovely old car on the road.
Caulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:06   #33
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Treat anyone who is not wearing a face covering, or indeed wearing it incorrectly as if they present a very real risk to your wellbeing and act accordingly.

As you point out an exemption from wearing a face mask does not give the exempt person the right to act with reckless abandon, in very much the same was as wearing one should not do so either.

While I know that if I do not place anyone around me at any increased risk by my actions, it is impossible for a stranger to know this, and it is for this very reason I choose wear a mask while shopping although exempt, out of respect for others feelings.

Back to the post that seems to have ruffled so many feathers, I already felt uncomfortable enough withdrawing several thousands of pounds in cash from the only branch of the bank available to me having had their parking spaces outside appropriated into pedestrian zones as part of Newcastle's Covid-19 social distancing measures, and the thought of having to walk the half mile to where I'd parked the car was not one I relished.

So I chose to employ a technique that is entirely within the law, while deliberately conveying to those who might approach me, that I may present a very real risk to their own health and well being, and to stay well clear.

It seemed to me at least entirely reasonable at the time, but in any event no harm was caused and no laws broken, which is what has been implied both on thread and via PM.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 13:04   #34
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

No confusion here about the role of masks and how they might help in slowing transmission.

Pleased to hear that despite his exemption Brian chooses to wear one in supermarkets, but not in empty banks, although he did not rely on his exemption as an explanation and reason for not wearing one on his recent bank visit. Those of us without such exemption would be breaking the law. I trust we all do our best.

Last edited by Caulkhead; 3rd January 2021 at 13:05.. Reason: Spelling
Old 3rd January 2021, 15:07   #35
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Masks

On the subject of masks these are the assortment we have in our house, so one for all occasion i suspect ? of cause there are people whom can not afford to purchase these masks of any form, they are just about able to feed them selves.

Some stores will hand them out free, personally i think they should be free to everyone who wants them, don't forget there are containers full of them in fields etc that have cost millions which will go to waste.

There is a lot we don't even know about and will never know, as MP's need to cover them selves and each other to keep their jobs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10196.jpg (112.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10197.jpg (124.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10198.jpg (126.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10199.jpg (119.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10201.jpg (132.7 KB, 15 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:23   #36
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I picked up a mask that has the unusual effect of eliminating any queue ahead of me at the checkout!

I can't wear one of those round the ear masks since I managed to take the top of my left ear off! The loop just slides off, there's no rigidity in the ear to hold it in place. Have to wear one with fastenings around the neck and head.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 09:29   #37
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

[QUOTE=marinabrian;2857420]Well put Clive, treat anyone who is not wearing a face covering, or indeed wearing it incorrectly as if they present a very real risk to your wellbeing and act accordingly.

As you point out an exemption from wearing a face mask does not give the exempt person the right to act with reckless abandon, in very much the same was as wearing one should not do so either.

While I know that if I do not place anyone around me at any increased risk by my actions, it is impossible for a stranger to know this, and it is for this very reason I choose wear a mask while shopping although exempt, out of respect for others feelings.

Back to the post that seems to have ruffled so many feathers, I already felt uncomfortable enough withdrawing several thousands of pounds in cash from the only branch of the bank available to me having had their parking spaces outside appropriated into pedestrian zones as part of Newcastle's Covid-19 social distancing measures, and the thought of having to walk the half mile to where I'd parked the car was not one I relished.

So I chose to employ a technique that is entirely within the law, while deliberately conveying to those who might approach me, that I may present a very real risk to their own health and well being, and to stay well clear.

It seemed to me at least entirely reasonable at the time, but in any event no harm was caused and no laws broken, which is what has been implied both on thread and via PM.

Brian, I think that you are making an accusation that I implied that you broke the law. If you read my original response, I questioned your actions. When you contacted my by PM you explained that you had an exemption, I advised you that if you had chosen to explain that in your first post, I would not have questioned you. You have chosen to explain further your thoughts and actions. Let me be clear to all, I feel that your original post suggested that you felt it was for an individual to decide if compliance with the law was acceptable. I don’t agree that it is, if I made an error in this I apologise.

You have clarified that you have an exemption therefore what you did was reasonable and allowed. Given you choosing to explain further I completely agree.

My point remains that without a mask wearing exemption, entering an enclosed indoor space, such as a bank is not permitted, do you agree? I apologise if I am wrong, please explain why, if you think I am.

On another point,

As an ex headteacher in state provided special education, the school where I enjoyed many happy years of employment has remained open throughout the pandemic, as it supports young people with education and health care plans, they are by definition therefore recognised as vulnerable, and my ex colleagues have striven to do their best to continue to provide a first class service. I am so sorry to hear that some teachers are not doing all they can to support their students, however my belief is that the overwhelming majority will go the extra mile.

I guess all sectors have less than perfect practitioners, my recent experience over my MOT failure demonstrated this, in that one garage decided the car was beyond reasonable economic repair and another did some work for a few hundred pounds and issued an MOT.

Your serve!