Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th January 2021, 10:42   #11
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The rod and the bottom clip are threaded but it is earier to unfasten the clip as it snaps together at the back and hinges open. (see pics in earlier post) Sometimes the snap connectors can break if they have become brittle but the clip can be secured with a tie wrap. The white clip can be disconnected from the door lock mechanism, once it is off the rod, by turning 90 degrees as it is connected into an oval hole, however that should not be necessary, just to adjust the rod.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 11th January 2021 at 10:47..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 11:31   #12
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks, appreciate it. That is what was confusing me as I had unfastened the clip to remove the rod rather than screwing it off. I'll need to put the white clip back on the door lock mechanism as it came off while doing this but I'm reasonably confident now with your advice on how it attaches.
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 11:40   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames View Post
Thanks, appreciate it. That is what was confusing me as I had unfastened the clip to remove the rod rather than screwing it off. I'll need to put the white clip back on the door lock mechanism as it came off while doing this but I'm reasonably confident now with your advice on how it attaches.
Hi Andrew.
That is why i suggested not to fit the door card until you have found the correct placement for the the clip, once you have and know it works good, add a couple of cable ties round the clip top and bottom to help the security of the clip, as the clip is plastic on cold freezing morning if someone tries to open the door and its frozen it can pull the rod out of placement, even one or two threads and the door becomes a problem.

You can see from this photo it only wraps round the thread.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 11:51   #14
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Andrew.
That is why i suggested not to fit the door card until you have found the correct placement for the the clip, once you have and know it works good, add a couple of cable ties round the clip top and bottom to help the security of the clip, as the clip is plastic on cold freezing morning if someone tries to open the door and its frozen it can pull the rod out of placement, even one or two threads and the door becomes a problem.

You can see from this photo it only wraps round the thread.

Hi Arctic, thank you. Pictures are a godsend to me. I struggle without them!

I am interested to see the placement of the rod in the photographs. Would this be considered the rod being about where it needs to be? The reason I ask is my rod was in a totally different position. On mine the end of the road was in line with the bottom of the clip. So maybe a whole centimetre off.

We've had a very bad cold snap here recently with doors freezing so I must have dislodged it like you say.
Old 11th January 2021, 12:06   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Hi Arctic, thank you. Pictures are a godsend to me. I struggle without them!

Quote:
I am interested to see the placement of the rod in the photographs. Would this be considered the rod being about where it needs to be? The reason I ask is my rod was in a totally different position. On mine the end of the road was in line with the bottom of the clip. So maybe a whole centimetre off.
We've had a very bad cold snap here recently with doors freezing so I must have dislodged it like you say.
Andrew it depends as the ones i have sorted out all were different, but it gives you a starting point, go from there, if the door closes and will not open again, then you need to reach in and pull on the lever marked with yellow dots.

You can as above use a screwdriver in the lock acting as the door latch, that way the door is not closed on the car, trial & error to get correct.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 11th January 2021, 12:17   #16
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom. I'm sure I will sort it with maybe a small amount of effing and jeffing.
Old 11th January 2021, 13:28   #17
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I wish that I had arctic's library of photos. As you say, a picture speaks a thousand words. I would agree that the length of thread left exposed varies from door to door. I have replaced three actuators in my years of 75 ownership and they all varied. I usually start with around 10mm exposed and work from there. You can wrap a bit of copper or fuse wire around the clip as a temporary measure to ease the on and off routine until the correct setting is obtained.
Old 11th January 2021, 13:53   #18
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Honestly without the forum I would have lost my patience with the car by now. Such a great resource with photographs and advice from people who have done the same jobs before. They say fortune favours the brave and I'm not afraid to get stuck in but I do like to know more about what I'm attempting before I do!

One of the reasons I managed to get the door card off with the door closed was that the door card was already loose along the top and some of the clips inside already broken. Perhaps someone has been in working on this lock before Luckily I already have new clips lined up as I've been planning to sort the card for a while!

Unfortunately I broke the small chrome piece on top of the card which the locking tab/knob goes through but hoping I can glue it back down.
Old 11th January 2021, 14:15   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Honestly without the forum I would have lost my patience with the car by now. Such a great resource with photographs and advice from people who have done the same jobs before. They say fortune favours the brave and I'm not afraid to get stuck in but I do like to know more about what I'm attempting before I do!

One of the reasons I managed to get the door card off with the door closed was that the door card was already loose along the top and some of the clips inside already broken. Perhaps someone has been in working on this lock before Luckily I already have new clips lined up as I've been planning to sort the card for a while!

Quote:
Unfortunately I broke the small chrome piece on top of the card which the locking tab/knob goes through but hoping I can glue it back down.
Andrew you are not on your own 99% of the time when a door card is removed the oval chrome surround will come adrift, it can be fixed, by adding a little screw, or by using a cable tie melted to the tags on the back, another little mod to look up

ad altiora tendo.

Old 11th January 2021, 14:23   #20
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Andrew you are not on your own 99% of the time when a door card is removed the oval chrome surround will come adrift, it can be fixed, by adding a little screw, or by using a cable tie melted to the tags on the back, another little mod to look up
that's quite the bag of tricks you seem to have. The chrome surrounding the door handle I secured previously with strong sticky foam which works quite well. I was thinking I'd try that or some epoxy. I will however look up the suggested mod before trying anything.